Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercing growing out/infected - Help from professional needed

Options
  • 23-01-2006 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey guys

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Had my neck piercing done wow around 3 years ago now. Its half way up the back of my neck in the middle

I have a straight large bar in there that goes up like a staple around the edges when i had it done i asked if i could have extra bar coming out at edges so i could make jewlerery to hang down my back from it..so it was already pretruding like 2 mm on each side

By the way for newbies this was my first piercing ever and it didnt hurt at all. Twas tight for a few days and then fine Ive knocked it and caught it so many times and even that doesnt really hurt

For two years it was fine .....but for the last year it has been infected on and off

Ive healed it but the infection always come back after a few weeks

It doesnt hurt which is a bad thing cause i forget about it and cover it up with my hair

symptoms
    -> hard lumps around bar
    -> Scabs and crustyness around holes
    -> some tiny scarring around holes .maybe from where peircing has started growing out
    -> now the reallly worring things is the skin is starting to break above the bar in the middle of the peircing small blisters form but heal up within days if i pop them and drain with salt water .............these also scab up when healing

this sounds disgusting but none of it hurts or bothers me really however Im not daft i appreciate the peircing has to come out

I belive it grown out so much and is starting to break the skin slowly fair do's after three years

I went to the doctor and she said it may be a nickel infection but when i went to the piercer she said it was a titanium pericing therefore could not be the jewlery thast causeing the irratation

the last time i went to take the thing out the piercer said it was too infected to come out that was like 3 months ago and since then its like a yo yo healed infected healed infected almost daily or weekly it goes back and forth. Well i thin this means it never really heals cause then it wouldnt flip back to being reaised and red so quickly

Ive had three courses of anti biotics over the last year which dont seem to ever heal the damm thing

i'm not sure what to do

I drain it every day with salt water which helps but its still scabs up

am i using to much sea salt is that its drying up

I just put half a cup in the bath everyday

I need to take it out im going to india in two weeks and dont want it to get dirty out there and for it to get worse

I feel that taking out piercing by yourself is bad news but getting the piercer to do it is difficult cause i work long hours

Isnt it dagerous to get them taken out when infected too!!

This is all a bit gross but please dont let me off newbies its was fine for years and i personally feel its rejecting now

I love it and wil prob have some surface piercings done on my lower back sooon around my tatoo

When i had the piercing done I had short hair now its long and kinky so wraps around the piercing Ive started to cut my hair a bit around the neck to stop it doing this..........so i dont think ill have one on my neck agian bah cause I LOVE IT

so anyone actually had a piercing grow out do you think this is what is going on eeek ?

has anyone had piecing taken out and got an absess and had to cut it out ? I fear this will happpen to me

What would you do ?

can people also give me some aftercare intructions from when i do have it taken out to heal the hoels and clear up the wounds ?

Any fool proof ways of healing fast apart from salt and antibiotics lol ?

EEEk help

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

im in a similar boat with my neck... can i just slide it out, clean it and leave it heal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Hey eh im not a piercer or anything but id recommend taking it out. I had my tragus pierced and it was rejecting on me, Was quite inflamed and infected. I just treated it as a new piercing i.e cleaning it twice daily and not touching it without washing my hands. Thats all you can do. Seems to me that its doing more damage than good to your health. Talk to your piercer and ask there opinion on it.
    Aftercare: treat it like new piercing.
    Heading to india, my mates heading to india too in 2weeks, good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mdmafo

thanks so much for your help

wicked !!!

I'm gunna go and try have it taken out tonight at my piercers

It would be great to heal it but the bar has grown out to much I'd rather not let it grow out naturaly and have a nasty scar

My hair is also to kinky to have a piercing on my neck it constantly wraps around the piercing .....not exactly easy to keep it clean

I will miss it so much but bah :) cest la vie

wish me luck

Next stop ...

More surface peircings though on my back ...........woot

when i can afford it anyway !!

bedlam wrote:
    Depending on how much it has rejected, there will still be scarring. Taking it out will only minimise the amount.

So letting leaving it in to let it fall out will cause less scarring than taking it out now when I only have slight scarring on one side

hmmmmmmmm

I like interesting and different peircings .......it makes it a little akward for me when choosing where to place them

My back wil be tricky but there no point getting a piercing thats safer that i wont like

You just got to repect it and try to treat them with care

I have done everything to keep my peircing clean

I have made mistakes

like using tcp and not draining/cleaning with salt correctly

but it is my first piercing and you live and learn

I'm sure you know this yourself

thx for your advise i appreciate it

although your negativity has been a bit snobbish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Bedlam hasn't been negative, he's given you GOOD ADVICE which you don't seem to want to listen to.

Getting a surface piercing on your back is not going to last.

Don't take the nape piercing out, if it starts to close up the infection will be trapped inside the wound and then it'll get REALLY nasty.

If you've really had several courses of antibiotics then it's obviously not an infection, the piercing is rejecting. Your piercer (if you can be bothered to take an hour off work that is) will probably be able to tell you if it's an injection or a rejection better than a doctor. Cut your losses and take the thing out if it's just rejecting.

Maybe the next piercing you get you'll look after properly and will have learned from your mistakes regarding the nape piercing.

• Advertisement

I thanked him for his advise and it was really good advise ..Thanks agian bedlam x

But he did come accross as snobby so I've just been honest and i probably read the bit about taking the piercing out wrong

Etho please don't get on your clicky forum bandwagons and don't make stupid comments about my work please ....that you know nothing about

I've also really tried to look after my piecring making a few mistakes along the way with your first one thats ok I think unless your mates are peicers you can follow bad advise without realizing. It was also fine for two years so I don't feel it was lack of my care that caused it to reject.

So try not to make cheap insults at people you dont know who are new to forums

Cause you've just come accross as a twat he he

Right I went to my piercer she took it out .........It was just being rejected and therefore caused irratation......Has pretty much healed up in the last few days .....:)

and also said that it would be difficult to pierce the back due to the curvature of it and the rubbing of clothes etc but we could have a go in different places to see if they reject

but I'm not expecting those kinda akward kinds of peircing to last years or anything maybe even not expecting them to last months

Advertisement