Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10/22

Options
  • 23-01-2006 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

I want to change back to .22LR and the more I read about the Ruger 10/22 the more I like it - would never have considered a semi .22 before.

What are my options?

This would be what I'm thinking of:
    length.JPG

Are the straight Ruger factory guns worth buying or am I better to go the DIY route? The target versions might suit:
    16H.gif
    What mods to the factory gun would ye recommend as a must - some of the Volquartsen parts are highly rated but costly.

If DIY what parts can I buy without any restrictions - i.e. I presume I would have to get the license for the barrel and then could buy the action seperate without any trouble?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Well,first off a couple of million plus ruger 10/22 owners out there cant be wrong.It is a reliable little 22,been used everywhere from the artic to the jungles.In it's original configuration.
    As to customising it.It is like the old VW Beetle.Easy to work on and customise.You can do anything with it from "mild to wild".Depends what you want out of it.You can spend triple the price on it and make it into a match accurate tack driver,or convert it into a poor man's assault rifle.Most folks say that a trigger job is a good idea to start off.Parts are no problem,stocks,mags triggers.Barrells I assume you want to get the serial nrs engraved on them to prove that they are accessories to the reciver.Have seen them for sale here with no restrictions.So it is proably a "gray "area again. Do a google on Ruger 10/22 I think there is a forum on them out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Do a google on Ruger 10/22 I think there is a forum on them out there.
    Check out Rimfire Central (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php?).
    They have a HUGE 10/22 section.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Thanks.

Rovi: I've been joined that site for years - but never even looked at the 10/22 section til last week :rolleyes:
    Some amazing looking guns on there - see the 'ultimate' thread with nearly 1/4 million views!

Clare gunner: Volquartsen note on their site that:
    'All serial numbered items must be shipped to an FFL dealer.'
    I must ask them which parts are actually numbered - maybe as you say there's a chance the barrels aren't.
    http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/ are selling a lot of the VQ stuff + others - so maybe easier than shipping from the US.

Probably better to buy a stock gun first and build up over time - makes it more interesting - bit of a waste of money though?!

thelurcher wrote:

Clare gunner: Volquartsen note on their site that:
    'All serial numbered items must be shipped to an FFL dealer.'
    I must ask them which parts are actually numbered - maybe as you say there's a chance the barrels aren't.
    http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/ are selling a lot of the VQ stuff + others - so maybe easier than shipping from the US.

Probably better to buy a stock gun first and build up over time - makes it more interesting - bit of a waste of money though?!

The only parts that are FFL parts in the US are Recivers.[And the outside tube of sound suppressors].As that is the only part that is serial numberd.Any other part in the US is not considerd FFL and can be sold freely.
    Apart from Class3 parts which are used for machine guns[IE full auto bolts of the M16,etc].Barrells are no problem ,it is more a problem here.Hence you might want to get it stamped with the recivers number.
    Not really a waste,as you customise the gun to what you want it to be.You might find it good enough in stock config.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Here's a customised one I saw on the range,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

As that is the only part that is serial numberd.Any other part in the US is not considerd FFL and can be sold freely.

State Dept export restrictions apply to barrels and any other components with a value of more than $100, which can make ordering from the States a bit of a chore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭jeffshc1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

The Volquartsen triggers are great. Also check out Midway (Barrells) and Brownells (lots o' stuff) (Both Have websites). I have one which is my guilt-free, never clean the thing, gun. It has a funky AK style underfolder and an old Tasco scope. Use it for Raccoons and Possums. Never misfires, very accurate. Haven't cleaned it in 20 years. (I clean every thing else meticulously but it's good for the soul to have a beater!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

A lot to think about!

Maybe rimfiremagic get the barrels in stamped to satisfy regulations on this side of the pond.

Shops here are looking for €470 for a bog standard 10/22 - twice the Ruger RRP in the US :mad:

I wouldn't have been too interested in the 'tactical' 10/22's but there's some good practical looking ones around - especially the folding stocked versions - you could have it in the car or on your back while out with the dogs without it getting caught in every wire you go under :rolleyes:
    Although I think these may be recently restricted in the US?

See the magazine in this :eek:
    7e080720.jpg

Customising the 10/22 seems to be a fairly serious hobby in it's own right!

Shops here are looking for €470 for a bog standard 10/22 - twice the Ruger RRP in the US :mad:

Rippoff Ireland for you.
    Although I think these may be recently restricted in the US?

Nope,they were restricted under Mr Klintoons "crime control bill"which fortuneatly grandfatherd two years ago and wasn't renewed by Prez Bush[say what yo like about Bush ,he did at least somthing right:) ]
    The Crime control bill removed all the nasty things that make certain type of guns commit more crimes than others.Like flash hiders,folding stocks ,bayonet attachments etc and mags over 10 rounds.So if you see somtimes articles for sale like pre ban,this means weapons and attachments for sale pre 1994. Post ban was the PC type weaponary and mags which were 10sht only.
    And New post ban which is the stuff made after 1994.So folding stocks are legal to own again or export from the US,although some folks will say that preban folders are better quality,but twice as expensive.

• Advertisement

civdef wrote:
    State Dept export restrictions apply to barrels and any other components with a value of more than $100, which can make ordering from the States a bit of a chore.

Yeah from one source.And the BIG problem is recivers.ATF classifies them as a full firearm.
    You wont be short of a source of parts or barrels for a 10/22 in the US.:D

Advertisement