Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suggestion

Options
  • 23-01-2006 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Might I suggest that it become possible for the person that opens a thread be able to close it to, so often someone will ask a question and get several replies saying the same, ie How do I....?

When the solution is found the person should have to close the thread, i can only imagine wasted space on the server. and possibliy giving user more control on taking posts of their thread, which are unhelpful, abusive, or just dont belong there, almost allow someone moderate his\her own thread,

Would also mean thread paths could be controlled....meaning OP could keep stuff on topic.

Dunno if this can be done.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

dbnavan wrote:

Would also mean thread paths could be controlled....meaning OP could keep stuff on topic.
    It would also mean that people could abuse the system by removing posts they don't agree with.
    Imagine this feature in Humanities or Politics, for example.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

dbnavan wrote:
    When the solution is found the person should have to close the thread

sometimes a question asked can also be helpful to other posters, there may also be better suggestions given even after the solution has been found by the OP

i can only imagine wasted space on the server. and possibliy giving user more control on taking posts of their thread, which are unhelpful, abusive, or just dont belong there, almost allow someone moderate his\her own thread,

Would also mean thread paths could be controlled....meaning OP could keep stuff on topic

it is the job of the forum Mod to do all of the above, that's why s/he's the mod...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Obligatory post pointing out the flaws (though I do see the validity in your suggestion):

1. Quite often, a solution can be given to the problem, and then other users build upon it, or offer a more efficient, or better-explained solution. These would be lost if the OP closed the thread.
    2. Many forums, most notably Politics, Humanities and PI, aren't based upon the technical problem-solution approach. If the OP had the option to close the thread, they would close it as soon as the thread was no longer going their way, or if they were receiving answers that they simply didn't want to hear. Although many people complain about stifling of free speech or abuse when they start getting lots of disagreements, allowing them to close the thread is far worse then allowing a lot of posters to register their disagreement, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I'd agree with this in the For Sale section

If something is sold the thread should be locked straight away so you don't get:
    "I'll take X if Y doesn't collect it"
    "Sorry Z, Y collected it six months ago"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Ok points taken, however, for example I dont need anymore replies on this, my question has been sufficently answered, no need for anyone else to reply IMO, Can I close it? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dbnavan wrote:
    Ok points taken, however, for example I dont need anymore replies on this, my question has been sufficently answered, no need for anyone else to reply IMO, Can I close it? :D
    Well, you see, this actually a good example. Your suggestion does have merit in a certain context - as steveland points out. Perhaps someone else may see some other merits in the idea, and a further person may post a link to a vBulletin hack that allows you to do this on a per-forum basis.

There's no need to concede defeat just cos some people find fault. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Maybe a "suggestion of closure button" that alerts the mod? like report bad post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The OP can just post that they'd like the thread closed, it happens quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yep, or PM a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

This system works on SomethingAwful. You can close any thread you create, but if a mod reopens it, you cannot close it again or be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Terrible idea, especially the part about deleting posts. Imagine politics! As for closing the thread, I've only ever seen people ask for that when they've made a fool of themselves with it.

Server space is probably not an issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Doctor J wrote:
    The OP can just post that they'd like the thread closed, it happens quite a lot.

But does the Mod not need to be looking at the thread?
    dbnavan wrote:
    Maybe a "suggestion of closure button" that alerts the mod? like report bad post

That's not a bad idea at all, especially for the For Sale forums as was mentioned earlier.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Get a blog ya hippy :v:

Advertisement