Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Upgrade

• 23-01-2006 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Is this going ahead this week? :rolleyes:

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i dunno, fixing my connection should be the first priority. :(
    unbelievable, an appointment on Tue week is the earliest available for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Last I heard is that it would be late Feb / early March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

On the 3rd of Jan NTL said they would have the upgrade completed by Feb 2006. So it should be anytime in Feb. Thats why they have been replacing all the old NTL home 100 modems with the 250 version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

UberNewb wrote:
    On the 3rd of Jan NTL said they would have the upgrade completed by Feb 2006. So it should be anytime in Feb.

Where did they say this? Who in NTL said this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Madong

Last I heard is that it would be late Feb / early March.

Thats late! considering they have now slipped to 3/4rd place in the provison of home broadband! Even Eircom is provding fater packages..... they may suffer if the dont pull the finger out........

I heard from an engineer replacing old modems it was February

• Advertisement

The have to get all the old modems replaced by the end of Feburary, because when the upgrade kicks in, the older modems won't work (you can see that in the NTL letter sent to people without the 250 modem). So it will probably be late Feb or very early March.

paulm17781 wrote:
    Where did they say this? Who in NTL said this?

Where did they say this?
    In the letter's they sent to customers who where getting modem upgrades

Who in NTL said this?
    David Kelly

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/11339/21583.jpg

The have to get all the old modems replaced by the end of Feburary, because when the upgrade kicks in, the older modems won't work (you can see that in the NTL letter sent to people without the 250 modem). So it will probably be late Feb or very early March.

only customers with the NTL home : 100 modems need to be upgraded, the other modems will be upgraded to handle the new speeds with a firmware upgrade so if you haven't been upgraded "Don't Panic"

:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Anyone got a description of what each looks like?

I have a silver box about the size of a 3.5 inch IDE hard drive.

Is this the 100 or the 250? I haven't received any letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You probably have a 120, can work for the upgrade with a flash.

• Advertisement

spockety wrote:
    Anyone got a description of what each looks like?

I have a silver box about the size of a 3.5 inch IDE hard drive.

Is this the 100 or the 250? I haven't received any letter.

100+.JPG = ntl 100, 120, 200 series

250.JPG - ntl 250

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Madong wrote:
    Thats late! considering they have now slipped to 3/4rd place in the provison of home broadband! Even Eircom is provding fater packages..... they may suffer if the dont pull the finger out........

That isn't quiet correct:
    NTL 3m/300k = €40
    Eircom 3m/356k = €54

So it is still a good €14 cheaper, plus remember that with NTL you nearly get the full speed, but with Eircoms implementation of DSL it surfers from overheads. The upgraded Eircom 3m customers are getting more like 2.5m/320k if you read other threads.

However I agree they have fallen behind Smart and Magnet and they need to hurry up and rollout 10m and to pull far ahead. Of course those of us with long memories will remember that this happened last year as well, Eircom had 2m for about a month while NTL had only 1.5m, that situation was soon corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Madong

bk wrote:
    That isn't quiet correct:
    NTL 3m/300k = €40
    Eircom 3m/356k = €54

So it is still a good €14 cheaper, plus remember that with NTL you nearly get the full speed, but with Eircoms implementation of DSL it surfers from overheads. The upgraded Eircom 3m customers are getting more like 2.5m/320k if you read other threads.

However I agree they have fallen behind Smart and Magnet and they need to hurry up and rollout 10m and to pull far ahead. Of course those of us with long memories will remember that this happened last year as well, Eircom had 2m for about a month while NTL had only 1.5m, that situation was soon corrected.

well if NTL are taking about an upgrade in March then Eircom have a 3 month lead? and Magnet almost a year (24mb)! They will respond (magnet)..............

You never factored in line rental and NTLs compulsory basic service (which is very poor) you must get to get Broadband, taking that into consideration there is not too much difference......;)

Lets hope NTL upgrade in February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Read the note. It's to be done "BY" February. Not march. So "BY" february, we will have 10meg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

Excellent, any idea what the 3 new speeds and caps will be?

dlofnep wrote:
    Read the note. It's to be done "BY" February. Not march. So "BY" february, we will have 10meg.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054869874&page=4

"Install guy was very helpful, ok what i learned is Download speed upgrades are for sure, they were happening in early Feb but now put back till late Feb early March, He said GoldenBridge centre in UK is still controlling all our network traffic so he expected download limits and other setting to be almost the same as the UK upgrades before Xmas"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054869874&page=4

"Install guy was very helpful, ok what i learned is Download speed upgrades are for sure, they were happening in early Feb but now put back till late Feb early March, He said GoldenBridge centre in UK is still controlling all our network traffic so he expected download limits and other setting to be almost the same as the UK upgrades before Xmas"

It's still on for feb according to an agent in NTL.

dlofnep wrote:
    It's still on for feb according to an agent in NTL.

I hope so, sooner the better :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Was just on the phone there trying to sort out the problems with my connections. I asked out of curiousity about the upgrade. She said I must of been mistaken with the 10meg upgrade in the UK.... Nothing has been planned here yet.

Stevek101 wrote:
    Was just on the phone there trying to sort out the problems with my connections. I asked out of curiousity about the upgrade. She said I must of been mistaken with the 10meg upgrade in the UK.... Nothing has been planned here yet.

LOL. Well it wouldn't surprise me that not all the agents in the call centres would know exactly what would be happening. The upgrade is happening, just not official yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

Stevek101 wrote:

I'm confused :confused:, seems to be a lot of mixed info from everything I've read. Time will tell I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I doubt the customer care would know much about it alright. I'd reckon there will be an upgrade; ntl were always well ahead of the pack speed wise but the others have snuck up now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ozzy wrote:
    I'm confused :confused:, seems to be a lot of mixed info from everything I've read. Time will tell I guess!

Nothing to be confused about NTL CS are told absolutely nothing, they will be the last to hear, probably a few days after it is announced in the press.

People here on boards are likely to have a far better idea about it then NTL CS.

Same happens in this call centre. They won't be told about it until they need to know. Only agents that will know about it are those who asked or were told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

NiSmO wrote:

According to what various NTL agents and engineers have told people here:
    3mb --> 9-10mb
    2mb -->5-7mb
    1mb -->3mb

Be nobody really knows for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

NiSmO wrote:

Yes it will deffo come with a 250 modem as they no longer give out the 100 series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So how will the firmware upgrade work with say a 120 Modem? Will it be automatic or will I have to call tech support to complete it?

Snake ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think they should introduce packages of 3, 6 and 9 which would be kind of rounded rather than 3, 5 or whatever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement