Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies that never show up on TV?

• 23-01-2006 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Are there some movies that never seem to be shown on TV (or maybe I miss them)?

e.g. I remember enjoying The Tall Guy* on it's cinema release, but have never noticed it being shown on the tellybox (at least not in recent years).

* Featuring the fictional "Elephant!", the musical version of "The Elephant Man", with the show-stopping song "He's Packing His Trunk"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

They just dont pick up all the movies that are available.
    Its only really the big ones that end up on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Blade 2 was on C4 last night. I don't think RTE, TV3 or TG4 have yet to show Blade or Blade 2.

They will prob all show Blade Trinity :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

hey, nonsense.

yes they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i remember watching Blade on TV3 i think it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

I've never seen 'The Crow' show up on any Irish channel. They never seem to have it at my local extravision either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

Interesting one.

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest. One of the greatest films of all time, multiple Oscar winner, has never been shown on Irish TV in my memory.

But at least they showed The Core:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Toasty

one of my fave films is the breakfast club and i have only ever seen it in tv once!
    it was on bbc but now thankfully i have it on dvd.
    actually i never have seen weird science on tv but i'm goin to get it on dvd soon 2!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the film Weird Science has been shown by the BBC a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I often wondered that about One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest. Great film
    The Crow was shown years ago. I remember taping it<tut tut>. Not sure if it was Irish TV though

i remember watching Blade on TV3 i think it was

Defo not I am sure. BBC showed Blade and C4 have just shown Blade 2. I always keep an eye on the movies on the TV and am sure that Blade 1 and 2 have not been shown on RTE, TV3 or TG4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i hate the tall guy, emma thompson is in that right?

i hate the emma thompson school of comedy.... although yerman is did The fly so all is forgiven.

I think the selection of films on tv must be exceptionally narrow...

I was watching a thing about the planet of the apes on the other week on tv3 and it was talking about all these other Charlton Heston action flics that were huge at the box office but I never seen on TV, apart from Soylent green etc..

and the thing that im sure has been discussed before about BBC1 in England putting on a film and then TV3 or RTE having it on the following week (and not just films that have just been released to TV), who is it the selecting or putting forward the films like this.

and the thing that im sure has been discussed before about BBC1 in England putting on a film and then TV3 or RTE having it on the following week (and not just films that have just been released to TV), who is it the selecting or putting forward the films like this.

I am sure you mean Britian (perhaps even the UK) and not England.

I am sure their are times when RTE, TV3 and TG4 show a movie which ends up on the BBC or C4 or ITV the following week. I mean if the BBC and ITV and C4 don't care about another country why should RTE, TV3 or TG4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Elmo wrote:
    I am sure you mean Britian (perhaps even the UK) and not England.
    I was trying to distinguish apart from BBC1 Northern Ireland...
    Elmo wrote:
    I am sure their are times when RTE, TV3 and TG4 show a movie which ends up on the BBC or C4 or ITV the following week. I mean if the BBC and ITV and C4 don't care about another country why should RTE, TV3 or TG4.

I don't mean wether they care or not just why is that film is coming around on the conveyor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i've seen all the films mentioned thusfar, on tv.

if you wait long enough they'll come round again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Seen Soylent Green on RTE and it was on BBC not that long ago. Its also on MGM or TCM for those who have it. Indeed most Ruggie is right they've all turned up somewhere.

But that said its true certain flicks never get shown as they have become 'lost' films. Anyone ever seen Twlights Last Gleaming for example or The Ultimate Warrior. When was Wages of Fear (1977) last shown? All big(ish) budget productions at the time...Not to mention Just A Gigolo ahem! ;)

There are loads more meanwhile you can set your watch by reruns of certain movies.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

mambo wrote:
    Are there some movies that never seem to be shown on TV (or maybe I miss them)?

e.g. I remember enjoying The Tall Guy* on it's cinema release, but have never noticed it being shown on the tellybox (at least not in recent years).

Been on tv a number of times over the years. There are a lot of films and a small number of slots on terestrial tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Toasty wrote:
    one of my fave films is the breakfast club and i have only ever seen it in tv once!
    actually i never have seen weird science on tv but i'm goin to get it on dvd soon 2!:)
    John Hughes fan, eh?!

Got my eye on a nice boxset in Xtra-Vision for €25 - The Breakfast Club, Weird Science and Sixteen Candles.

Not a big Sixteen Candles fan but the other two are excellent - might buy it tomorrow actually! :D

Toasty wrote:

Both those have been on several times in the last few years. Breakfast club has been shown twice by RTE and at least once by a UK channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

One of the Irish channels showed Blade 2 last year. I know because I've seen it but definately haven't seen it on DVD or the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Never seen waiting for guffmaan or Mulholland drive on main channels.
    Could be wrong though.

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote:
    Never seen waiting for guffmaan or Mulholland drive on main channels.
    Could be wrong though.
    Mulholland Drive was on TV3 at least twice!

basquille wrote:
    Mulholland Drive was on TV3 at least twice!

Could have sworn it has only been on once, I want to see it again but can't be bothered with xtra-vision.

It hasn't been on the UK terestrials yet, only film4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Did I see Elektra on Irish TV (TV3 maybe) a few months ago?

I could have sworn it was a terrestrial channel, then I learned it only came out last year, which was weird, too soon to be on.

BopNiblets wrote:
    Did I see Elektra on Irish TV (TV3 maybe) a few months ago?

I could have sworn it was a terrestrial channel, then I learned it only came out last year, which was weird, too soon to be on.

It would have been the film wit the same character in it that starred Ben Afflek

John R wrote:
    It would have been the film wit the same character in it that starred Ben Afflek
    That'd be 'Daredevil'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Are we talking just basic TV here or that the never turn up on movie channels either?

If the former anyway, 'tall guy' was definetly on tv (thats where I first saw it) but that must have been at least 12 years ago.

Crow and CuckoosNest were on TV

Ultimate Warrior (Yul Brenner?) was on Tv within the last year.

Ones that bug me tho : Weird Science hasn't been shown terrestrially for at about 5 years. Same goes for TheRunningMan. Definetly hasn't been on tv for about 7 years. Johnny Got His Gun (Dalton Trumbo antiwar movie) has never been shown in all my cinema-interested days afaik. They never show Disneys 'big' movies for some reason either (not even at xmas). I've a list of about a 100 other 'must see' movies that were probably also never on tv either in the last 10years or so (otherwise they probably wouldn't still be on the 'must see' list :) )

basquille wrote:
    That'd be 'Daredevil'

that's the one, I didn't remember the name and couldn't be arsed googling it. Bloody awful film anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They never show Disneys 'big' movies for some reason either (not even at xmas).

Thats Disney policy, they protect all thier hit animation classics. You will only see them on Disney channel I belive.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

John R wrote:
    No, it was definately Elektra I saw, because I make a point never watch Ben Assfleck.

Terence Stamp was in it, he's awesome, "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

All the films have been on tv with the Exception of Electra.
    I am more bothered about the films they don't actually show over here. There are tons of great B movies that I never seen. You can't get them on DVD here without huge prices. Films like "Santa and the Molemen" "Invisible Zombies" any of the myster science theatre shows. Watch the biography chanel and they mention films that you have never heard of yet they are oscar winners.
    http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:4708~C
    A really good film that never gets a look in. They keep showing bloody bond movies.
    I used to love Friday nights on Sky when they had the vampire guy presenting the movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mambo wrote:
    What? It's been on a few times, most noticably once in the afternoon on RTE where someone didn't know there was a sex scene where Emma Thompson gets the puppies out all too briefly.

...but the rumour was she used a body double. Hmmmmmm.

Advertisement