Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do you read per day?

Options
  • 23-01-2006 2:06pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How long do you read per day?

Do you set aside 30 mins each evening to do nothing but read or do you only read when on the train, bus or before bed?

Currently I can manage about 2 hours-ish per day thanks to much time being spent on the tube and train. Just wondering what other people manage.

How long do you read per day? 36 votes

<= 15 mins
    0%
    > 15 mins and <=30 mins
    0%
    > 30 mins and <=45 mins
    5%
    Tobias GreeshmanBeats 2 votes
    > 45 mins and <= 60 mins
    13%
    eclectichoneyAnaiyelaxabitheboytaylorFunky Munky 5 votes
    > 60 mins and <= 1.5 hours
    25%
    KolodnyBeruthielgrowlerp.peteathena 2000DadesrstaFeuMuiriosa 9 votes
    > 1.5 hours and <= 2 hours
    25%
    genieshepthedogJohnOral SlangLegend_DIThepcatjtsuitedAndy-PandyBodhidharma 9 votes
    > 2 hours and <= 2.5 hours
    19%
    theCzarechomadmanTreebrianthebardfranksmRhymeNimrod's Son 7 votes
    > 2.5 hours
    11%
    BossArkyNineMoonsVundergroundLux23 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i only read at teh holidays :( between college and work ive no time to do much else, but when i do read ill spend anything from fifteen mins to the entire day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Atari Jaguar? ;)

I spend about two hours each day reading (not so much at the weekend). I get most of my reading done in work and I'll usually read for about 20 mins/half an hour before bed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

> 2.5 hours
    Atari Jaguar? ;)

I get most of my reading done in work

Do you mean you read e-books, or you just have a novel open on your desk regardless of what your colleagues or lack of them think, or are you reading work related material?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭NineMoons

> 2.5 hours
    I read in the mornings and evenings on the train (Drawda-Pearse commuter) and before bed at night. I often read in the evenings as well and usually for a few hours at the weekend, if I've something good to read.
    Reading on the train can be a pain in the arse if you're coming to a really good bit and you arrive in your station!
    I read a lot of stuff for work (not books, work stuff) so sometimes by the time I get home my eyes are wrecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I'd usually read for 30 minutes to an hour before bed during the week. Generally too busy to read during the day (apart from the odd lunch hour) but would a lot more at the weekend and if I get stuck into a good book I can easily spend most of the day reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

> 1.5 hours and <= 2 hours
    About 1-1.5 hours of non-college stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

for non college stuff on average 1-2 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

BossArky wrote:
    Do you mean you read e-books, or you just have a novel open on your desk regardless of what your colleagues or lack of them think, or are you reading work related material?

Secret option (c): I read during my breaks. I wouldn't include reading work-related material in my previous answer. Only pleasure reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Does reading posts on boards.ie count?:D Nah, seriously I dont read enough books. Gotta change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

i read very very fast so a book doesnt last me long! I usually read for a half hour before bed it helps me to sleep. If I get really into a book though I read even more as I have to keep at it until im done. Got the Da Vinci code at xmas and had it finished in a few days. also study a bit for my exams so I read the exam books for a couple of hours a week and I read magazines or the papers at lunch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

5 hours plus, at night - novels. Much more if you count college or the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

It varies greatly: Sometimes for five or more hours, sometimes not at all- it depends on what I'm reading.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

> 2.5 hours
    To clarify - the pole above refers to the reading of books, non work, non college... lets call it pleasure reading. Of course if reading boards.ie counted as reading I'd have to add a new option on the poll with something like

>5 hours <= 24 hours :v:

C'mon, when is someone gonna come out and admit 'depends how long I spend on the bog'...:p

About an hour or so a day at the moment (reading, not on the bog :eek: ) which is pretty good for me. Starting to get back into it all again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

It all depends on the book I'm reading. For instance I read the latest Harry Potter book in six hours straight. I try to read as often as I can (when I'm not working, at college, on the net or watching Stargate).

I'd have to intermingle the college and pleasure reading because 7 of the 12 books for my Political Philosophy class are books I had planned to read anyway.

Like NineMoons, I make the hour-ish trip from McBride to Pearse which allows me to get plenty of reading done. I usually pack multiple books just in case I finish the one I'm reading.

Sad as this'll sound - I went to Spain on a family holiday a few years back and in those five days I plowed through three deciently sized fantasy novels (about 2,500 pages)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭NineMoons

> 2.5 hours
    Hey Q Elexra! I do that too - I hate finishing a book and having nowt to read for the last 20 minutes. I love finishing one, sighing happily and pulling out another!
    Have you noticed us getting increasingly crappy trains on the line lately? Seats are terrible - makes it so uncomfortable to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Not getting to do enough now that the luas has made my commute so short!!!

But like others have posted could be anywhere between 15 mins and 5 hours on the wknd depending on how into it i am! I usually read at night, as its habit at this stage, and it helps me to drop off. But if i'm racing i could be reading 2 or 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

About an hour in the evening - books, magazines or something.

Then a 1/2 hour at bedtime - no matter what has happened in the day good or bad, I need to delve into a book to calm the brain

In summer though, I'd happily spend 3 hours of an afternoon in Phoenix park on the grass reading too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Well I'm studying English and History (final year) so reading anything outside of my course is kind of impossible at the moment.

Plan on muchos catching up as soon as summer rolls round. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

love to read, last book i read was Chicago May, read it in a week, some days i dont get to read at all but other days i will read for about 2 hours straight
    like a lot of the previous posters it does depend on the book and time constraints too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement