Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Meteor K700 cracked screen - options?

• 23-01-2006 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Woke up on Sunday morning to find two cracks on my Sony K700i screen. Most annoying! With the backlight on, there are associated effects across most of the screen - makes txting v difficult. I had used it last thing on Sat night and found it cracked first thing on Sunday morning - no recollection of dropping it at all - most peculiar.

So I called meteor support and they said it was just within the 28 day warranty period (literally that day). I called the store itself today saying that I couldn't get in until thursday evening, would that be ok. The lady said that would be fine but cautioned me that it need to be send for repair and Sony would most likely say that it was physical damage - i.e. it had been dropped - and on that basis would charge for a repair.

So, does anyone have any experience of this type of situation? Any advice for how I should proceed?

Thanks,
    C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Your screen is cracked. Screens don't "just crack". This is physical damage and you will be charged for the repair unless you have some form of insurance (some people claim on their house insurance if they don't have specific phone cover?).

If it's replaced "under warranty" then someone in the repair centre will be making a big mistake.

Honestly, the reply is "touch cookies - backup your data and buy a new one". It's generally not worth the repair costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Phibsboro wrote:
    So, does anyone have any experience of this type of situation? Any advice for how I should proceed?

Thanks,
    C

Odds are they'll want a fair bit to replace the screen.....

You could get a torx screwdriver (usually a T5 or T6 on most mobile phones) and a replacement fascia on eBay or some other site, and swap out the fascia yourself.

It's easily done and so long as you don't handle any of the actual chips inside the phone, it's functionality shouldn't be affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Debbio69

with all k700i units the screens were screwed in too tight by sony ericson, causing the screens to crack,if you send it through a meteor store to sigma in finglas they will cover it for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Debbio69 wrote:
    with all k700i units the screens were screwed in too tight by sony ericson, causing the screens to crack,if you send it through a meteor store to sigma in finglas they will cover it for you

Not true. :rolleyes:

I've owned 2 myself, my sister has one, I know people with them, nobody ever had any problems, and added to that, there has been no general issues with the quality of SE phones around the board especially not with the k500/700 variants. They are a very reliable phone.

You will most likely be charged an insane amount for the replacement. I advise you either get it repaired by an unoffical shop, replace it yourself, or get a new phone, they are only 119 new anyway....:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Debbio69 wrote:

Never heard of that, and I have a k700 and have been on quite a few of the sites about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Thanks for all the comments. I would have had the same attitude as ciaranfo previously, but obviously in this case I know it wasn't physical damage, at least in the sense that I can't recall something happening to it like dropping it or whatever. And I think if I can't recall doing something to cause it then it comes under day to day use. It also isn't always true to say that cracked screen = damaged by you, as evidenced by the ipod nano issues.

I also take the point re why not just get a new one - I'm half tempted to be honest cos I have a feeling its gonna be a long hard slog to this fixed under warranty. But I only got this phone a month ago as a replacement for a lost 6230i and I'm fecked if i'm spending any more money on phones for as long as poss :)

I'll let you know how things go with it.

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

In that case kick up a fuss directly with Meteor head office, the shops will turn you away.

i work for a repair centre, and we're covering them under warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Heard no such problems with K700i screens. A Meteor Store will not be able to help you other than sending it away for repair which will no doubt come back with an estimate to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Hi,

Just to finish this thread off, dropped it into the meteor store last saturday, all covered under Sony's warranty, no charge to me. Picked it up yesterday.

Thanks to Debbie for encouraging me to go back with it :)

C

nah bother any time

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Good to know! *looks at his k700 anxiously*

Advertisement