Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Packages

• 23-01-2006 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I am an existing UTV clicksilver plus customer and since late last year i have benefit from the increased speeds as my exchange has been one of the first to be tested.

To be honest i have never had any issue with UTV, but on comparison with other offers well they do fall short of BT's equivalent 3mb package.

Smart isnt in my area and i dont think they will for some time to come, so they're out but if you ask me BT are competitve with them if you include their talk time packages as well.

What is swaying me to BT is also their so called CAP. Spoke to BT and well he said we do advertise a cap but dont enforce it. Maybe i shouldnt be saying this here, if others are reading they may make a complaint and put pressure on BT to enforce the cap. Anyhow the fact is they do not enforce it and thats that.

I have on plenty occasions just gone over my cap with UTV but never got charged, i believe this is because i have it setup to have my account suspended if i do go over.

They have requested feedback in their newsgroup are we willing to pay for no capping (within reason) and or if they double the cap. I have replied the days for capping should be gone, not that i would blow it every month if it were the case, because i do believe in fair use and i dont need all that data, not that i couldnt have my bb on 24/7 for the month and be downloading at 316Kb/s but i just wouldnt do it anyway.

So should i stay or should i go?

Anyone have an idea why is UTV hanging back so long as others have brought out their packages and updated their cap allowance as well.

Will they come out with some new, much better packages as what they did at the very begining or are they just going to continue and follow Eircon with price and packages?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Drustan wrote:
    I am an existing UTV clicksilver plus customer and since late last year i have benefit from the increased speeds as my exchange has been one of the first to be tested.

To be honest i have never had any issue with UTV, but on comparison with other offers well they do fall short of BT's equivalent 3mb package.

Smart isnt in my area and i dont think they will for some time to come, so they're out but if you ask me BT are competitve with them if you include their talk time packages as well.

What is swaying me to BT is also their so called CAP. Spoke to BT and well he said we do advertise a cap but dont enforce it. Maybe i shouldnt be saying this here, if others are reading they may make a complaint and put pressure on BT to enforce the cap. Anyhow the fact is they do not enforce it and thats that.

I have on plenty occasions just gone over my cap with UTV but never got charged, i believe this is because i have it setup to have my account suspended if i do go over.

They have requested feedback in their newsgroup are we willing to pay for no capping (within reason) and or if they double the cap. I have replied the days for capping should be gone, not that i would blow it every month if it were the case, because i do believe in fair use and i dont need all that data, not that i couldnt have my bb on 24/7 for the month and be downloading at 316Kb/s but i just wouldnt do it anyway.

So should i stay or should i go?

Anyone have an idea why is UTV hanging back so long as others have brought out their packages and updated their cap allowance as well.

Will they come out with some new, much better packages as what they did at the very begining or are they just going to continue and follow Eircon with price and packages?

I left UTV 3 months ago to go to Digiweb Metro basically due to there inactivity in upgrading their packages. Its the best thing i ever did. Leave UTV if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Well if they don't I'll be gone too.

Its the best thing i ever did

Pray why? Could you list the main ( and less main) advantages. I see Digiweb getting a fair 'ol grilling here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

I dont understand their lack of interest UTV are showing... I will leave for BT if there is no word about it in the next few days.

One question though, I had the 1mb line which has now been upgraded to the 2mb with the speed increase, so am i still on my 8gb cap or automatically moved up to 16gb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

My 3Mbit line is still at 16GB cap, so I presume that the new 2Mbit lines are still capped at only 8GB. It's 24GB on eircom. And UTV are more expensive?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

vox wrote:
    I dont understand their lack of interest UTV are showing... I will leave for BT if there is no word about it in the next few days.

One question though, I had the 1mb line which has now been upgraded to the 2mb with the speed increase, so am i still on my 8gb cap or automatically moved up to 16gb?

Nobody on here can answer that question - the one to ask is UTV then in the event of any dispute you will have had it from the horse's mouth!

Given that they charge for exceeding the cap they should be making the limits very clear to their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Drustan

well to answer some of your questions i telephoned UTV myself, and again they arent forthcoming with satisfied answers.

As of early today they did indicate to me that they are coming out with announcement very shortly, could be this afternoon, if not definately at some stage this week.

I also indicated the post their product team made in their newsgroup, he was aware of this but again would not comment. Furthermore he also said he could not comment on new packages.

The message i got was just to wait for announcement. Just to heat things up i told him (which is true) that i have a form ready to be posted back to BT to migrate over unless UTV can match or better then i'm gone. Again he reiterated that he could not comment on new packages until a public announcement is made on them.

I'll give them a few days and then i'm gone if i dont hear any announcement, but i have a feeling that the announcement is going to be a competitive one. Well at least they are studying the prospect of no capping. BTW when i questioned him on the 'no capping' he did say though that this seems what all their customers want by the feedback they are getting, through email and telephone conversations.

So lets hope UTV get back to the drawing board and be the competitve teleco that they once were.

On the capping question, i can truthfully say that they only difference to us Clicksilver users presently is the line upgrade. As i said i have benefit from the line upgrade for awhile now and existing capping was enforced, in fact UTV didnt realise my speeds had increased.

Just a funny quote i must share with you. I also telephoned Eircon and see could they match or better BT, when i posed the question on their capping as in do they enforce it, the girl replied "capping whats that". Truthfully if she was been sarcastic i'd understand what she meant (publicly we dont charge if you break your cap) but she honestly never heard of a cap allowance. We that i said ok thats enough and finished the conversation in a nice manner, it maide me chuckle a bit though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

TBH im sick of the 8GB cap that UTV enfore on us. I have been with them foe about 18 months and if they dont Bring in at least 16GB for the standard BB user then Im gone...

On a side note are we all after being upgraded to a 2mb line from a 1mb line. Saw somewhere that eircom are after upgrading there lines so in turn UTV have too...

I would also be interested in knowing where I can get onto thise UTV newsgroup

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

news.utvinternet.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

I'd be staggered if UTV even comes near BTs latest offering. As it stands, BTs 2mb package is €15 cheaper. Plus their cap is 12gb higher. As someone who has gone over the cap a few times, its very expensive. For example, in November I downloaded 9,153 mb (the cap is 8,192mb). Result? extra charge of €14.42!!! I'd say they make a good bit like this.

I will wait til the end of the month to see if they stun us all wit a good offer, but I'm prepared to head to BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I wouldn't say they make too much out of it at all, once you've been burned once you hardly stick your hand back in the fire..........I have the suspend account when cap exceeded option set - which bugs the hell out of me, but I'll be leaving if they don't make some changes in the immediate future, I've been with them for years now, used them for the old dial-up services and moved to Broadband with them - and find it hard to believe why they no longer seem to be interested in customers in the ROI, but as soon as my contract is up I'll be switching to BT I think, it's pretty sad that they've gone from being well respected and open with their customers to being far removed and running backwards fast......

• Advertisement

NIBBS wrote:
    I wouldn't say they make too much out of it at all, once you've been burned once you hardly stick your hand back in the fire..........I have the ....................... I'll be switching to BT I think, it's pretty sad that they've gone from being well respected and open with their customers to being far removed and running backwards fast......

Speaking of which.................I left them for Smart recently and they debited me for a month's line rental in advance in spite of the fact that I emailed them in good time specifically withdrawing authority for them to go near my account. The indifference I was greeted with when I tried to get it back was astonishing but the culmination was a conversation where I asked to speak to one of the higher ups and I was told it was Monday and they were all at meetings - I pointed out that it was actually Thursday - whereupon I was told that that person concerned was only back from three days leave so it was Monday for her!! And what about the meetings? Oh year there were still at meetings..........

So they may not be in a different world from their customers but they are definitly in a differnet time zone:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Drustan wrote:
    I'll give them a few days and then i'm gone if i dont hear any announcement, but i have a feeling that the announcement is going to be a competitive one. Well at least they are studying the prospect of no capping. BTW when i questioned him on the 'no capping' he did say though that this seems what all their customers want by the feedback they are getting, through email and telephone conversations.
    I wouldn't hold my breath. After the last upgrade in March 2005 I (and others) asked all the same questions on the phone, by email and their newsgroup. The exact same answers were churned out. "We'll be making an announcement shortly". I got fed up waiting and moved to BT in June 2005.
    2 Weeks later they announced their "new" packages and they were no different except a slight difference in price for new connections. If you were an existing customer and wanted the new price you had to sign up to another 12 month contract:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Any word from UTV yet? I'm in work, so have no access to their newsgroups since they restrict news.utvinternet.com to their own IP address range only.

Stephen wrote:
    Any word from UTV yet? I'm in work, so have no access to their newsgroups since they restrict news.utvinternet.com to their own IP address range only.

Nope, They abviously dont give a toss, I was just on to BT and got them to send me out the transfer forms....

Ok thats it, waiting no longer. Going to cut my losses if any and pop the transfer form over to BT into the post.

BTW UTV told me i must email them and state that i am migrating over to another teleco so i wont get disconnected. I think thats right anyway.

So anyone have experience from transfering over to BT from UTV and exactly whats involved and what kindof downtime if any.

OK 15:18 rang UTV becuase i dont know but if any you notice that all the packages were to end yesterday (23rd Januwary), now its the 24th January, so i said hold on a second dont tell me this is theor new packages, so i rang them. Anyhow its like this they are just finalising their new packages as i type and will be announcing them tomorrow. Further when i pointed out about the new date in their website and question, why was it because you were to announce the new packages today, she told me yes but had to be put off by a day because they couldnt finalise them and becuase they are going and try to be competitive so she told me to hang on and see tomorrow. I said i'd give them one more day, and if you cant be as competive with BT for BB and Talk packages then im gone and many more i may add i told her. i said UTV are been slated on the internet and it will show even more if you dont get the new packages right. If you just follow Eircon again well say goodbye to your teleco business here in ROI becuase you'll have none.

So UTV i give you 24hrs, if you dont get competive and or you keep charging people for breaking their cap and or suspend accounts for doing so well then i for one am gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Drustan wrote:
    Ok thats it, waiting no longer. Going to cut my losses if any and pop the transfer form over to BT into the post.

BTW UTV told me i must email them and state that i am migrating over to another teleco so i wont get disconnected. I think thats right anyway.

So anyone have experience from transfering over to BT from UTV and exactly whats involved and what kindof downtime if any.
    I moved from UTV to BT back in June.
    I doubt if the procedure has changed. This is how it worked for me.
    Send in the transfer form to BT and DO NOT contact UTV. If you do they will F**k it up for you and you'll be without BB for a few weeks. Ring BT every couple of days to keep them on their toes. For me the transfer took 9 working days from when BT received the transfer form. The change over was seamless and NO downtime. It might be a bit longer now if alot are changing over.
    You'll still have to give UTV 30 days notice. When you go live with BT email admin@u.tv and cancel your BB. The transfer form authorises the BB change over but does not cancel the subscription to UTV.
    Doing it this way may mean you'll get caught for month sub to UTV but IMO it's worth it to avoid the hassle and downtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Will i have to upgrade to their new package or will they upgrade me, im currently on the plus service. :D

kaizersoze wrote:
    I moved from UTV to BT back in June.
    I doubt if the procedure has changed. This is how it worked for me.
    Send in the transfer form to BT and DO NOT contact UTV. If you do they will F**k it up for you and you'll be without BB for a few weeks. Ring BT every couple of days to keep them on their toes. For me the transfer took 9 working days from when BT received the transfer form. The change over was seamless and NO downtime. It might be a bit longer now if alot are changing over.
    You'll still have to give UTV 30 days notice. When you go live with BT email admin@u.tv and cancel your BB. The transfer form authorises the BB change over but does not cancel the subscription to UTV.
    Doing it this way may mean you'll get caught for month sub to UTV but IMO it's worth it to avoid the hassle and downtime.

Spot on, just got off phone from BT and i have to say this, they were very helpful and informative. They also said as you said not to email utv, if they do debit account after the switch to contact BT and they will sort it out with UTV. Thanks again for the advice ;)

Drustan wrote:
    Spot on, just got off phone from BT and i have to say this, they were very helpful and informative. They also said as you said not to email utv, if they do debit account after the switch to contact BT and they will sort it out with UTV. Thanks again for the advice ;)

Given that BT cannnot sort out their own billing department I would not be too optimistic about them sorting out UTV's.:rolleyes:

dub45 wrote:
    Given that BT cannnot sort out their own billing department I would not be too optimistic about them sorting out UTV's.:rolleyes:

Can you elaborate dub? Have you had personal experience of issues with BT?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Drustan wrote:

Just take a look here:
    http://www.btirelandsucks.com/

It really is a pity, BT's products and prices are excellent and when it works, it works very well. It is just their billing department that sucks, if they could only sort that out they would be easily be the best bitstream ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

UTV heads, could ye keep us up to date here when/if UTV post anything on the support newsgroup about new caps/products/whatever? Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

It appears that the offers that were due to end/change have been extended until tomorrow......

Now 'sign-up by 26th January 2006'.

Thats the only change I noticed, so presumably the anticipated announcement will be tomorrow at the earliest......

Drustan wrote:

There are any number of threads on here about Esat's billing and this is far from being a new issue - their website if far from clear about charges particularly in relation to online billing discounts and their csrs do not seem clear on this aspet even.

Within the past fortnight I spoke to two people who had paid money to EsatBT that they were convinced they did not owe them simply to get debt collectors off their backs.

bk wrote:
    Just take a look here:
    http://www.btirelandsucks.com/

It really is a pity, BT's products and prices are excellent and when it works, it works very well. It is just their billing department that sucks, if they could only sort that out they would be easily be the best bitstream ISP.

And the galling thing is they must be aware of this internally and choose to ignore it showing total disregard for the misery they cause people who fall foul of their lousy system:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I managed to get a bill from bt even though im with utv, thats how bad it is.

Still no news on the new UTV packages..... Its looking pretty grim at this stage.

Right i'll watch out for that with BT. Anyhow last night i posted the transfer form to BT, so my days with UTV are nearly over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

with Utv and rang them today looking to see what their new packages where

got an email from Belfast techinical dept saying that they are waiting on Eircom to come back to them???

I asked when will the new packages be out & they said they dont know. they only find out an hour before it goes up if ever on their website

Want to switch as presently on clicksilver plus

NTL not available in my area yet so the same I would say for Smart

On the belcamp exchange

Whats the usual wait I was told 6 months so I would say a year

Bloody problem is that if and when Utv ever come out with their new packages it means another 12 month contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Any update on the UTV situation today? This is all getting a bit frustrating... They better blow me away with their new packages otherwise I'm off to BT.

Advertisement