Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Island Hood

Options
  • 23-01-2006 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hi there

I want to put a cooker hood over a hob located on an island. I know there are some island hoods available, but the problem is that the ceiling is sloping upwards towards the centre of the ceiling. This means that the ceiling is too high (and slanted) to install a standard island hood.

I know gaggenau do a hood on a telescopic arm that when not in use lies flush with the island work-top, but it is too expensive (and eats into your worktop space). Does anyone know of any alternative island hood that would suit this arrangement.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

Hi, I have exactly the same 'problem' with the house we are just starting to build. We haveb't decided what to do yet but one thing we're looking at is going down with the vent asin under the floor. Another option is to get an extractor that doesn't need to be vented at all. I'll be interested to see the other replies you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Smokey,
    I believe there is an filtered system that is mounted at hob level and is designed for island units. A friend has one fitted so l will try and get a make and other details.

Smokey,

AEG Competence FM2500DD. This unit matches other AEG hob units and rises out of the counter top and extracts through a filter system it can be vented out through the floor to outside.
    Sounded a bit pricey €1000 retail, (he never said what it actually costed) I suppose those fancy hoods would be that price anyway if not more.
    It may help you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

why not get your chippy to put in a lowered section for the island hood

he could easily put in a box section for a standard island hood to fit onto !!

I attempted to quickly sketch what I mean -see attached. :):)

it might look fine ...

and have a look here for pics of hoods and prices

www.trade-appliances.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Thanks very much to all who replied.

Foamcutter, thanks for the information. I Checked out price of that AEG hood. KKS in Cherry Orchard are the stockists, but the price is €1,970.00 for the hood (it retracts into the island when not in use)! So your friend must have really liked the it. Do you think it looks (and works) well?

May have to get some sort of thing rigged up such as Karltimber suggested. Was considering this or extended pipe arrangement, but might not look right, so will have to think about it.

Saw advertisement for Nolte kitchens with type of thing that might be a compromise, but Oakline (the Irish suppliers) said they knew nothing about it (they thought it might be a Smeg). Also, surprisingly enough, saw something similar on Nationwide on RTE in a house in Mayo.

Sorry, there seems to be no ideal solution to this one Mrs Aol.

If anyone has any further ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks again for your replies.

Smokey.

• Advertisement

Smokey,

yeah he and his wife seem very pleased with it. He thought it was going to be a bit of a gimmick but he says that it works well. Probably suits a contemporary kitchen best.
    I think he said that he got it from some place in Bangor N. Ireland. I will try and get some details.
    At € 1900 yoyo's l think l would be shopping around to see if l could get better value.
    Can your kitchen installer not get one for you? If not try Cabinetministers.ie

Advertisement