Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winchester to close production in the USA

Options
  • 23-01-2006 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi Folks

Sad news as attached, Winchester will cease to build the rifles that they were know for and as kids we all grew up around when playing "cowboys and indians"

Time moves on.........................

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

Pity to hear that the harsh economics have caught up with such a great legend.

Hold on to your classic Winchesters!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Heard that they may keep a 'Winchester' custom shop open in the factory?

I found this 2nd hand a few years ago:
    Winchester : An American Legend by R.L. Wilson
    Some amazing pics in it - history - and tables on serial numbers etc. - I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Lurcher, the Wilson book was a good find. Lots of information.

In the end it is Winchester's success that doomed it. Let's face it, a high percentage of Winchester firearms ever made probably remain in use today. Sure, people have worn out M94's and M70's but the percentage of the total number that have been manufactured during the life of Winchester is probably pretty small. The fact is that the American market is flooded with used Winchesters in great condition most of which are selling for more than new (certainly that is the case for M70's).

Marlin and Uberti have beat Winchchester in the lever action world. If you're buying a new bolt action rifle take a look at the CZ and a model 70. Shoot both from a bench. Sentimentality is the only advantage that I give to the m 70.

A friend in Belgium sent me the following:

As a free lance consultant to FN-Browning, I received this letter, explaining the closing down of the Winchester plant :
    O/Ref.: BI/DK/sd/2006-01/05 January 18th, 2006
    Dear ,

I am writing to advise you that after considerable study we are about to make some fundamental changes to the Winchester Firearms lines.
    The review is in to the future of the Model 1300 Pump Action, the Model 94 Lever Action and the Model 70 Rifle, where we are currently losing considerable sums with a badly adapted plan for modern manufacture, in New Haven, Connecticut.
    We are therefore announcing that Model 1300, Model 94 and Model 70 Rifle order will continue to be fulfilled as long as stocks last and that the plant in New Haven will close end of March 2006.
    Browning International will continue to sell and grow its current line of Winchester Select Over & Under shotguns and semi-auto rifles and shotguns manufactured at the Browning Viana factory in Portugal.
    We will introduce in 2006 the new Super X3 auto-loading shotgun and the new Super X auto-loading rifle.
    We also plan to introduce additional new models in the very near future.
    There will be no change in the After Sale Customer Service that Browning International continues to provide.
    The above decision has no impact on the Winchester ammunition business.
    This action is a realignment of resources to make Winchester Firearms a stronger, more viable organization. Winchester Firearms plans to continue the Great Winchester legacy and is very excited about the future.
    Sincerely Yours,

Damien Kaivers
    Chief Operational Officer

BROWNING INTERNATIONAL s.a. Registered Office: Parc Industriel des Hauts-Sarts, 3ème Avenue 25, B-4040 Herstal - Belgium Phone: +32 (0) 4 240 52 11 – Fax: + 32 (0) 4 240 52 12 – VAT: BE. 430 037 226 – RPM-Liège: 0430.037.226 Bank account: FORTIS Bank, Place Xavier Neujean, 8, B-4000 Liège – Belgium – IBAN BE 26 2400 0136 0529 – BIC: GEBABEBB www.browningint.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"But here's a vaya con Di os for the old smokepole. May it go to a Long Branch in the sky where the whiskey's always flowing, the gals are purty and the clock always reads High Noon."

DB

Advertisement