Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why are so many people buying new cars??

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭japanpaul

bazz26 wrote:
    I agree, especially the way the Irish in general treat their cars and the amount of rubish that is sitting on many forecourts. It is difficult to find a nice used car these days that hasn't taken some sort of abuse or not properly maintained.

But in saying that changing to a new car every year does seem like a waste of money. Ah sure everyone to their own I guess.

I was going to reply to this here but since it's a little off topic I created a new thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054882407

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I have a '98 mx-5 and a '97 impreza.
    Both bought second-hand cash (mx-5 £12k 5 years ago, scoob £3k mid-'04), both imported in Ireland since. Both are being maintained yearly (scoob 2x year, mazda 1x year) back in the UK.

I'd like to think I'll still be driving around the mx-5 in 10 years' time: at 8 years old and 45 kmiles on the clock today, it still turns more heads in Dublin centre than a €50k+ new car. If I stay in Ireland, at the going rate, I'll be putting just under 1kmile a year on it.

And I'd like to think the Impreza' still good for at least 50kmiles + (currently 72kmiles), at which time I'll probably change it for another Impreza for under £5k, and good for 50 to 70kmiles at least. That one's getting about 10kmiles a year on.

As posted in-thread earlier, though a committed petrol-head, I have much better uses for multiple €000s than sponsoring GVT misuse of motoring revenue and outrightly-thieving dealers.

Moreover, considering Irish drivers (yeah, generalising, I know, I know... ;):p ), Irish roads, Dublin traffic and car parks, worsening road manners (noticeably so, within a year from landing here :eek: ), etc, etc. I wouldn't want to own a new car around these parts - thinking of the added stress, here! :D

Advertisement