Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is BT the worst service provider in Ireland?

• 23-01-2006 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

delete

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

If what you say is true, and you cancelled within the terms of the contract, then I wouldn't give them another penny (cent).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Fabrizio wrote:
    So i paid it and i was out of the country for 6 months of last year and then a few weeks ago i got a bill for €256. I rang and i said, here ill pay the bill- get rid of them and cancel the contract again!

I don't think that you are telling us the full story here. Are you saying that you paid to cancel it, and now you have received a bill for €256 and you are going to pay that to cancel again?

The normal reaction by most people in that case would be outrage, telling them to f off, that you cancelled it, to fire the person who took your call, a letter of apology for the mix up, your accounts dept are a pack of monkeys etc.

I know you are looking for information here, but at the same time don't slander a company just for the sake of it. If you are going to pay an obviously rediculous charge you have no reason to complain.

I have NEVER had a problem with BT. I find them very professional and they are by far the best provider in Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Fabrizio wrote:
    a few weeks ago i got a bill for €256. I rang and i said, here ill pay the bill- get rid of them and cancel the contract again!

If you already settled your debt and cancelled, why would you pay them another €256? Would you pay me €256 if I wrote to you asking for it, just to get rid of me?

BTW, I've never personally had any problem of any kind with BT [broadband + phone service].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

So, you took the free trial, which automatically starts a 12 month contract at the end of the trial. If you wanted to cancel it then, in November 2004, you are liable for the remainder of the 12 months as per the terms and conditions of the contract. The bill they issued in Nov 2004 was warranted as you hadn't cancelled, in writing, before the free period ended.

So, quick question. Did you cancel before the end of the free trial? If not, you haven't a leg to stand on as your contract would have only ended in October 2005, at which time you could cancel in writing without paying any more penalties.
    i never use the service (it dosent work!)
    If it never worked, then surely you should have cancelled it straight away.
    i was under the impression that it was cancelled way back in Nov 2004
    Which is after the 12 month contract started, hence you owe them for 10 months of broadband, unless they agreed to stopping the service at this time without any further penalties.

Have you any of this in writing from them?

As for worst ISP in Ireland, surely IBB have that one well and truely in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

So I must be the only person that does not have a problem with BT then.
    I must be the only person that is actualy recommending them over eircon and NTHell. My experience with BT, is that asside from there terrible billing issues (they keep over billing me by about €4), there service has been fantastic. There service has never failed me at all. I have also had no issues with their modem.

They at least provide a modem that is supportive of ADSL2+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Nope we have none either. BT for us has been great and cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I must be the only person that is actualy recommending them over eircon and NTHell. My experience with BT, is that asside from there terrible billing issues (they keep over billing me by about €4), there service has been fantastic. There service has never failed me at all. I have also had no issues with their modem.

They at least provide a modem that is supportive of ADSL2+.
    Check to make sure you have the online billing option selected. Receiving a bill by post incurs a charge of 4 or 5 euro, can't remember which. If you get that sorted then they are perfect :p
    And I agree with Offler, excellent service so far, and no billing mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Fabrizio wrote:
    delete

Wow, good response!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I've been using EsatBT/BT (phone and Broadband) for nearly four years now. I'm very happy. The only time we had a problem was when we moved house and Eircom mucked us about refusing to give out account details etc.
    Although, I am thinking that the upgrades have been better for the 1MB customers, who have doubled to 2MB and 256. I was on 2MB and have only gone up to 3MB and 384 kbps. Might just downgrade as was happy with the 2MB.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Nope we have none either. BT for us has been great and cheap.
    Ditto. Timely connection, accurate bills, reliable service and cheap.
    I guess the OP wasn't getting the replies he hoped for.:v:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Leatherbelly

No complaints from us, they're not great on answering the ould helpline but they always seem to be coming out with new packages and better prices. What's the story with Smart btw - their €35 bb + line rental adverts were everywhere but i don't see as much from them now...except for articles on how much dosh the VCs are giving them...is there many people using their service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I've been very happy with BT since I signed up 6 months ago. I've just changed to NTL and posted off my cancellation request to BT last Thursday. If they disconnect me and send my final bill correctly they will get full marks from me. Fingers crossed!

Their callback thing worked fine for me the twice I used it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

It is a refreshing change to see people standing up for who is delivering good services and value. I was starting to think all people could do was complaint.

I have been with BT for 1 1/2 year, and I have only positive feedback to give about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Yeah i have to agree no problems whatso ever with bt, had some issue with me bill n they sent out a check the next day as a result...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've been very happy with BT's broadband and have recommended them on numerous occasions. They offer the best value for money with widest availability in the DSL market.

Their only problem is an accounts department that haven't a clue what's going on. It's a shame really that such a good service is let down so badly, and for such a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Plasmoid

I have had the most horrible, ghastly dealings with IOL, Esat and then EsatBT but basically it was all one thing.

Billing.

I've been shafted by them Twice now... once for a home phone bill and again for Charges on broadband... incorrectly... for nearly a whole year... despite phone calls.

Other then that slight, horror, the flat rate dial up was good, the broadband is fast (except for upload) and the customer support is genuinly helpfull.

When my modem got partially fried by electricity they shipped out a new one, it arrived 3 days later and i freeposted the damaged one back.

On the other hand when i called them up wondering why i was being charged the price for their plus package when i was on basic it essentually took them a year to finally sort it out.

My view. The Internt Service is good.... just be sure they dont provide you with any billing suprises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

their broadband service i'm very happy with but their customer care is a joke and the whole billing thing with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

their services is great, sales and customer care suck though. i applied to tranfer from eircom in early december, didnt receive modem and such til jan 12th. then they didnt register my username and password for me. took 10 hrs on a saturday to register it, 2 days after my account went active. but the line is stable good speeds good cap. upgrades arrived on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I have posted on my billing problems with BT in the past. However, just to inform you.
    I signed up with the in April and for a few months did not get a bill. I started sending e-mails and calling them telling them I wanted a bill. I was told by the customer service that they would "raise a ticket" as they can cleraly see an issue. I did this about 6 times. The time passed and nothing changed. In October or November I sent an e-mail to Bill Murhy and told him about my misfortune. (He used to be the CEO for IE and has now moved up the ladder within BT). A few weeks later got a letter from BT tellinhg me that the problem was resolved and that I owed thwem 571 €. I asked the CC if I could pay by installments and would they abolish at least a small amount as a sign of good faith as it was clearly their problem. Got an answer that this could not be done as I have set up a direct debit (!!). Before getting the letter that everything was OK, I got a letter from Tom Hill who is something to do with debts telling me that I did not pay and bla bla. Anyway, before Christmas, I noticed one day that the money was taken out from my account in AIB. To my disbelief, it was put back the same day again! The exact amount they took out.
    At this time, I could not see my bills online (Although I had received a paper type bill, very dodgy and unclear). In January, this guy Tom Hill wrote to me again telling me that if I did not pay my bill ASAP, they would refer my case to a third party [debt collectors I presume] for persual.
    I was not shy and wrote to Bill Murphy again. Got a reply 10 min later from his blueberry) simplky saying that he would see what the team could do). Then, a few days later, I got a letter and e-mail from the Complaints dpt apologising and telling me that they take my complaints very seriously and that they would be back to me ASAP which they didnt (e-mail received on 09.01.2006). In the meantime, I can see that they have put the bills online so I can view them on my account.
    Just to add to all this, A few weeks ago I noticed that my speed was for an ordinary BB service and not the 2MB for which I had subscribed (BT PLus). Wrote an email sending them the image from the statitics page. Was told they were sorry, thatthey would upgrade me and refund me with 100€. They upgraded me some days later but never refunded me.
    So, lads, what do you thing this is! A serious of unfortunate events, incompetence or bad luck?

What would you do if you were in my situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

What's the story with Smart btw - their €35 bb + line rental adverts were everywhere but i don't see as much from them now...except for articles on how much dosh the VCs are giving them...is there many people using their service?

I'm using Smart. Its fanastic. Currently on a 2 month free upgrade to 6MB/512kB which I believe Smart are using as a test to see whose lines can handle higher speeds :D

Originally it was supposed to be for 1 month but Eircom as usual were refusing to release any new lines to them in December so when they got the new customers signed up they decided to extend the offer again.

Please oh please Smart let us keep the 6MB ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Thread going nowhere. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement