Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snag list query

Options
  • 23-01-2006 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all sorry wasnt sure where to put this query,is there a household section?

Anyway i am buying an apartment and the snag list is getting done this week, i have a pretty keen eye for what to look out for and have experience in working with electircal and plumbing industry however I am just wondering are there any things which you guys may have come across yourself when doing your own houses. I dont feel it warrants forking out for a professional to come in for it.

Any advice will be heeded!!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

moved

aido123 wrote:
    Anyway i am buying an apartment and the snag list is getting done this week, i have a pretty keen eye for what to look out for and have experience in working with electircal and plumbing industry however I am just wondering are there any things which you guys may have come across yourself when doing your own houses.

There is really no such thing as a standard list or standard problems. Have seen them go from 8 or 9 lines to 8 or 9 pages, with everything from tiny paint spots on tiles to major defects like defects in the roof or foundations moving showing up. While very often it's a bit OTT to get in an engineer to do a lot of jobs, such as checking boundaries in a housing development, I would engage one for snagging - should only be €200 or €300 and if anything shows up it would be money well spent. In addition, if you're getting finance, some banks retain a few thousand from the last payment pending confirmation from a surveyor/valuer that all matters are completed so you may be able to tie it in...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Evergreen

Hi There,

One piece of advice after you give the snag list to the builder, do not give him the final payment until after EVERYTHING on the snag list has been fixed. Once you have paid up and moved in the house is yours and it is nigh on impossible to get the builder to finish things off for you. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Evergreen wrote:
    One piece of advice after you give the snag list to the builder, do not give him the final payment until after EVERYTHING on the snag list has been fixed.
    I would generally concur with this, although if it is simply a bit of scratched painting in an obscure corner or somesuch, one can take a pragmetic view. No use in holding out and holding out (and risk losing the house) for a 2 minute lick of paint.

aido123, if its in or near Dublin I could do it.

/me now feels like I'm abusing my position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lil-buttons

I would advise you to get a Building Surveyor or an architect to do the snags for you. To be honest a snags can go on for many pages depending on the builders competence. A builder can hide many sneaky wee faults and sometimes do not be identified untill ur actually moved in. Plus snags usually leaves out mechanical and electrical works the snags is in fact for the structural elements of the building not neccisarily the m&e. Plus make sure that the building surveyor/architect is qualified and insured otherwise ur screwed if any defaults show up later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I would advise you to get a Building Surveyor or an architect to do the snags for you.

I'd second this. You are presumably spending a couple of hundred thousand on the place - a few hundred for a professional to snag it is not that big a deal by comparison. The kinds of things a professional will look for (and find) are not the kinds of things most people would even consider. (I am not a building Surveyor or an architect b.t.w.)

Just make sure to price them first. If you get an architect, you might be hit with a bill that can be a multiple of what a surveyor might charge - or at least I have seen it happen.

Advertisement