Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning PS2 lens

• 23-01-2006 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭

The kids PS2 is playing up a bit as it wont read the discs. I know nothing at all about these things but I was wondering if it could be dust on the lens.

Can you insert one of the lens cleaners that you would use in a cd or dvd player or has it to be some other method?

Would really appreciate any help with this problem

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,749 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A lens cleaner might do it. The other way is to open up the PS2 and clean the lens with compressed air and/or a q-tip with suitable cleaning fluid. However opening it up voids the warranty and you can seriously mess up the PS2 beyond repair doing it wrong. However done right it can save you the 80 euro repair fee from Sony on an out of date warranty model. There are FAQ's on www.gamefaqs.com about it under hardware in the PS2 section. Alternatively take it to an unofficial repair shop for cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks Retrogamer.

I tried the lens cleaner first but no good. I then got at the lens itself and between rubbing it with a vodka soaked qtip and sipping a wee bit myself I got the lens cleaned.

But before I even put the casing back on I knew that it wasnt probably going to work as there was no sign of dust or dirt on the lens. Sure enough it didnt.

I will have to find somebody who knows about these things as it is obviously a bit more than the lens now at this stage. Im not over concerned about it as it is basically a spare. I bought it cheap on a trip to Belfast over a year ago and lets just say that the casing and seal had been removed prior to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Reaver772

I had the same problem but its fixable. The one thing to watch out for is to not rip the the power button lead out of its connector, it is a complete b****h to get back in, i had to basicly rip the machine apart to get it. And dont worry about having left over screws and plastic bits and other stuff that you forgot to put back in - thats completely normal for me!

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,749 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

you could also try adjusting the power and height of the lens. It's a bit trickier but seems to give better results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Retr0gamer wrote:
    you could also try adjusting the power and height of the lens. It's a bit trickier but seems to give better results.
    I was reading a bit about this and it might just be beyond my capabilities but then again that vodka tasted good last night :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Retr0gamer wrote:
    A lens cleaner might do it. The other way is to open up the PS2 and clean the lens with compressed air and/or a q-tip with suitable cleaning fluid. However opening it up voids the warranty and you can seriously mess up the PS2 beyond repair doing it wrong. However done right it can save you the 80 euro repair fee from Sony on an out of date warranty model. There are FAQ's on www.gamefaqs.com about it under hardware in the PS2 section. Alternatively take it to an unofficial repair shop for cheaper.
    I think this is related...if not, somebody could point me in the general direction. Have noticed that some of my newer games aren't working too well on the PS2 and that one or two seem to be showing funny concentric circles towards the inside of the disc - most specifically Grand Theft Auto 3 and Resident Evil 4

This can't be good, and I've a notion it's some sort of lens issue i've got.

Can you recommend a 'good' place to have this looked at...if i'm looking at paying 80 quid so that my games work, then its better than me single handedly nuking my PS2 and having to fork out for a new 'un...

Advertisement