Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going wireless with NTL

• 23-01-2006 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Anyone using NTL tried to setup a private wireless network run from their NTL broadband?

I'm thinking of connecting a wireless router and running my laptop and Pc off the same broadband link and wondering if anyone has had any problem doing this using an off-the-shelf wireless router from Hardly Normal or PC World?

Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No problems at all. I've been running it for about 15 months now. Any problems have been down to the router.

Just be sure that you get a cable router. The bulk of routers on sale in the usual places are DSL routers. I went into PC World and Dixons one day to see what they offered, and the only compatible router they had was in PC world - a 4-port wired router. Everything else was DSL only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Got a linksys broadband ethernet router from PC World (don't listen to the staff, they'll probably try and sell you a belkin ADSL router lol) - since day one, theres never been a single issue, works like a dream. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

blueband wrote:
    Anyone using NTL tried to setup a private wireless network run from their NTL broadband?

I'm thinking of connecting a wireless router and running my laptop and Pc off the same broadband link and wondering if anyone has had any problem doing this using an off-the-shelf wireless router from Hardly Normal or PC World?

Thanx

as mentioned below make sure you get a "cable wireless router" IT direct have a nie linksys atm for 75e probably get it cheaper online

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

linksys wrt54g is the one a lot of people on here use if thats any help to you.

http://www1.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=18&ipid=452

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭blueband

Thanks everyone for the replies, much appreciated.

I agree Maquiladora, I've been rebuilding my own PC's for years now so I know a thing or two bout 'puters but some of the things the staff in PC World tell you is shocking, I've actually laughed at some of the things they said to me in the past. Now I just give them a baleful stare everytime they come near me and they leave me alone :D

It scares me to think what they convince people to buy who aren't up to speed on computer stuff.

And thats before you even mention the scandalous prices they usually charge....

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i thought that NTL would provide you with a wireless cable router if the connection point is far away from the computer. Look at this thread here where i asked about it and the replies i got.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

u should get the ATA version of the wrt54g and plug your current phone into it to avail of VOIP and ditch your phoneline. Works like a charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

Hi LFCfan

Was thinking of going down that same route, using ATA for phone, what the call quality like? I heard it's better than the soft phone but is it perfect?

Thanks

pan

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

pan wrote:
    Hi LFCfan

Was thinking of going down that same route, using ATA for phone, what the call quality like? I heard it's better than the soft phone but is it perfect?

Thanks

pan
    You can plug a DECT phone base into the ATA port and use your phone as normal. Call quality is excellent. Dare I say, even better then the regular phoneline. Also, with Blueface you can port your current landline number over and even if you move house you can use the same number. You could install the softphone on your laptop and use your number abroad. It's an excellent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Fine for me too; I've been running it that way from the very start, since the connection point is in the living room, my desktop is in the bedroom, and we have 2 laptops as well. Got a Linksys WRT54G router, desktop card and laptop card all on eBay for less than €100 and it was fairly troublefree setting it up. Fine for gaming too.

P.

• Advertisement
Advertisement