Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

306 - your opinions please.

Options
  • 23-01-2006 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Im about to buy my first car. Have served my time in my parents for the last few years and I have been looking into getting my own.

Mostly i have been looking at the peugeot 306. Im going to be driving carlow to dublin everyday for work and i need a car that will take this punishment.

I have a look at a few of them but im heading to look at one this evening that has caught my eye. Its 99, NCT 06/07, 60,000 miles and its going for 3,800. What do people think of this price? The 99's seem to range from 3,500 to 5000 +.

Also i have to think of running costs. This is 1.4 petrol, how many MPG could i expect from a 306?

Are there any other cars that would suit a first time buyer, travelling carlow to dublin everyday? I must add i have 4 years named driving experience and i have priced insurance on 1.4 306 and 1.9D 306, neither went over 1300 with Quinn so my insurance is relatively cheap for a 22 year old.

any help appreciated,

jumpa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

i've a 98 306 and just showing signs of wear now. it does 600 miles to a tank which is great, but its damn ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

how much to fill it?

ugly isnt really an issue at the moment! in terms of wear and tear what should i look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

"Mostly i have been looking at the peugeot 306. Im going to be driving carlow to dublin everyday for work and i need a car that will take this punishment."

Then don't go for a Peugeot. My mate bought a 306 a couple of years ago and he doesn't drive it that much, yet he has already had a few annoying problems with it.

If you want something solid, spend an extra €1000 or two, and splash out on a EK model Honda Civic (95-00). Nicer to drive, looks better and loads more reliability. Also, Toyota Corolla are really solid cars although they might not be as much fun to drive. They are not as expensive though.

TBH, you'd be much better off going for a 93-95 Toyota/Honda than a 97-02 Peugeot in terms of reliability - you'll save money too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

id be more concerned about active and dynamic safety if u are driving to carlow every day.
    i cant recommend the very late 97 on corollas enough. Ncap shows pictures of damaged car and the previous model faired well http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=2&id2=43
    compare that with the peugeot,where the structure is totally compromised under the same impact.
    http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=2&id2=40

having driven the corolla it is also a very dynamically surefooted car and handles very neutrally, even without abs or with its knobbly tires ,and is reliable, looks good, and drives very very well for the money. is comfy too to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Drive safely!

If my Civic crashes... basically, I'm dead. Very small chance of survival! So I drive quite safely. I know accidents can happen, but my Dad - who's been driving 45 years - has never been involved in an accident of any kind, and he puts it down to awareness and safety-first! And a bit of luck too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Dagon wrote:
    Drive safely!

If my Civic crashes... basically, I'm dead. Very small chance of survival! So I drive quite safely. I know accidents can happen, but my Dad - who's been driving 45 years - has never been involved in an accident of any kind, and he puts it down to awareness and safety-first! And a bit of luck too :)

That's all well and good until someone drives straight into you at a junction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=2&id2=35
    well thats the 98 civic under the same impact
    for comparison thats a newer one, very very controlled deformation and very good
    http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=2&id2=94
    thats the opel sintra for a laugh
    http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=5&id2=62
    stearing wheel snaps off and the floorpan collapses:eek:

thanks for the replies guys.

ill be brutally honest here and say safety has never come into my mind when looking at cars. as you say if i am going to be driving so much it should be considered.

a few mates have recommended the corolla's too. havent been pricing htem but ill check them out.

also, anyone here driving from carlow/kilkenny to dublin? how long would it take to drive from carlow to city west? ill have to be there for 8.30 so im hoping no sooner than 7 :(

as soon as i get the wheels ill time it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I used to own a 306, 1.4 '00

Only ever had a minor problem with the rear wiper, but that was sorted FOC.

Milage was good, about 38mpg iirc....

I completely disagree about the ugly comment,
    In particular the newer meridian ones, they were beautiful, and much nicer than alot of the cars on the road since, including the 307....

i dont find them ugly either. with side skirts, alloys and spoiler they can look very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

The 306 is a class wee car. Ive a diesel 2dr, and love it. Get a Dturbo if you can. The Meridian ones have a nice spec alright, half leather, fogs, cd, electrics, and all that lark. Most have the seperate stalk for the radio controls aswell, my car has that too, but i need an adaptor to get it to work with my sony stereo. Mine hasnt the 1/2 leather but im not fussed as i`d only be covering them in my nice black peugeot logo`d seatcovers anyways.

They look class with skirts and spoiler, alloys, ect...
    I dont like the 4dr, but then again i dont like the 4dr of anything. Dirty family wagons. :rolleyes:

There a class little car, i love flicking it around **** roads, and it has taken all the abuse ive given it no bother. Theres only 63000 on it though, i have it since 50000 and plan on keeping it till 150000miles, which it`ll easily do being a peugeot diesel and i chanke oil+filter every 6000miles religously and air+dsl filters every 2nd service or 12000miles. I service it meself too, its handy car to do. I had a 306 before this one too, which i sold when it reached 100000miles, gave no trouble either and only reason i sold was because i came across my current one locally with half the mileage and to change the cars only cost me about E1000 :D And its black :)

Do yourself a favour and buy a 306. Im not sure on the petrols though, personally i wouldnt touch a petrol peugeot, they seem to have gotten their diesels spot on though.

Heres a class site for ya: pug306.net. If yuou register there you`ll get an idea of the 306. Its dedicated to 306owners, petrol + diesel. All the sections cant be seen til you register, in case you think the forum bit looks small. :D

Nuttzy wrote:
    The 306 is a class wee car. Ive a diesel 2dr, and love it. Get a Dturbo if you can. The Meridian ones have a nice spec alright, half leather, fogs, cd, electrics, and all that lark. Most have the seperate stalk for the radio controls aswell, my car has that too, but i need an adaptor to get it to work with my sony stereo. Mine hasnt the 1/2 leather but im not fussed as i`d only be covering them in my nice black peugeot logo`d seatcovers anyways.

They look class with skirts and spoiler, alloys, ect...
    I dont like the 4dr, but then again i dont like the 4dr of anything. Dirty family wagons. :rolleyes:

There a class little car, i love flicking it around **** roads, and it has taken all the abuse ive given it no bother. Theres only 63000 on it though, i have it since 50000 and plan on keeping it till 150000miles, which it`ll easily do being a peugeot diesel and i chanke oil+filter every 6000miles religously and air+dsl filters every 2nd service or 12000miles. I service it meself too, its handy car to do. I had a 306 before this one too, which i sold when it reached 100000miles, gave no trouble either and only reason i sold was because i came across my current one locally with half the mileage and to change the cars only cost me about E1000 :D And its black :)

Do yourself a favour and buy a 306. Im not sure on the petrols though, personally i wouldnt touch a petrol peugeot, they seem to have gotten their diesels spot on though.

Heres a class site for ya: pug306.net. If yuou register there you`ll get an idea of the 306. Its dedicated to 306owners, petrol + diesel. All the sections cant be seen til you register, in case you think the forum bit looks small. :D

thanks very much nuttzy. you may well have won the argument!

Advertisement