Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants/Rent Relief

• 23-01-2006 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

I am looking for some answers on a thing or two regarding my own personal funds.

I am a full time student supporting myself i.e. paying rent, fees, all expenses, my money comes from my job and I have no support from parents. I can get tax relief for rent which is useless as I dont get payed enough to get taxed obviously leaving funds very slim.

I am in third year so college work is getting quite serious and I dont need to be working so much. I rang fingal Co Council and they informed me that my parents income would still be the deciding factor even though I have nothing to do with them except a visit for xmas. They said that I could fill in form and attach an explanation of my situation but that they havent heard of anyone getting a grant in this manner. Has anyone gotten a grant in this way or do they know anyone who has???

As regards the rent thing, Seems stupid that one person might earn 12000euro a year and get no relief at all since they haven't broken through to cut off point but someone who earns 13500 keeps all of that money because of the extra tax credits. it is harder for the person on lower money to pay rent because they get paid less yet they get no help????!!!??? On top of the fact that I am not considered for a grant, talk about a totally retarded system. this government has things all wrong

I know that this rent thing is probably for another board but it compounds my situation.

My thanks to anyone who knows of any funds that I may be entitled to or whether there is any chance of me getting a grant

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 detriment

If you were a mature student, i.e over 23 at time you entered your course and and not living with you parents, then you would be entitled to the higher education grant

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭caffrey

nope im only 22

Advertisement