Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 40" LCD

• 23-01-2006 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

Im thinking about getting this LCD, I plan to use it as the primary display for MediaCentre type applications. It has a good res (1366x768) and a 'Dynamic' contrast of 3000:1. From what i've read on the net, LCDs are better as computer monitors and have better resolutions.

The samsung 40" (LE40R51B) was chosen by microsoft to demo their xbox360 units so i guess it must be half decent. My only concern is this.. I'll be using this LCD to playback mpeg4 movies and also displaying in HiDef my digital photos. However, I read on a cnet review that LCDs generally are 'noisier', particulary when playing back compressed material like mpeg4 and the pixelation is more noticable.

Heres a link to the review. Maybe somebody could explain why this is so, and if its something to be conerned about?....

Taken from CNET review...
    "Previous LCD owners will have noticed how LCD screens amplify the noise that is a negative effect of MPEG compression (and thus evident on DVD and digital TV), but DNIe makes a good stab at cleaning it up. The closer you are to the TV, the more noticeable it is, but DNIe is an excellent technology for reducing this."

Full Review...
    http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39030218,39193146,00.htm

Also the best price i can find for the LE40R51B is 2380euro anyone know any good sources? retail/trade

Thanks Adrian

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Adrian

Go to http://www.katronics.de/index.php

Type in LE-40 and you search, they have it there for 2039, shipping from what I hear is 85 notes

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Synkro

thanks yop, your post was really helpfull. Gonna chat with them tomorrow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Let me know how you get on please as I am looking at purchasing from them in the next 6-8 weeks so would appreciate any pointers

Gluck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313314&cks=PRL

Hopefully they get them in today and I'll get a nice surprise next week :-)

Thats a good price Ssh, Good luck with the purchase,

• Advertisement

hi ssh,

thats a good price and also perhaps a bit closer to home aswell. Have you definitl decided on the LE40R51B model? I am torn between the LE40R51B and LE40M51B models. (300euro difference) The 'M' model seems to have a 5000:1 contrast whereas the 'R' model has 3000:1, but what i cant find is the native contrast of the lcds, and not the dynamic contrast. I know the actual contrast of the 'R' model is 800:, no idea about the 'M' model.

Synkro wrote:
    hi ssh,

thats a good price and also perhaps a bit closer to home aswell. Have you definitl decided on the LE40R51B model? I am torn between the LE40R51B and LE40M51B models. (300euro difference) The 'M' model seems to have a 5000:1 contrast whereas the 'R' model has 3000:1, but what i cant find is the native contrast of the lcds, and not the dynamic contrast. I know the actual contrast of the 'R' model is 800:, no idea about the 'M' model.

ok now im completely confused! it turns out that both R and M models have the same dynamic contrast 3000:1, I cannot find any other difference between them other that the 'squarish' frame of the 'M' model. Which in my opinion would look a lot better when set into a wall. Any one have any clue why the 'M' model is 300 yoyos more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

As far as I know the native contrast is 500cd/m2.

As far as I know the native contrast is 500cd/m2.

is that not brightness? not too sure myself although i guess it has some resemblence to contrast. I get the impression contrast ratio figures are being hidden from the consumer and instead they are pushing the 'dynamic contast' figures instead. Again, maybe the dynamic contrast is just as good as the real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Synkro wrote:
    is that not brightness? not too sure myself although i guess it has some resemblence to contrast. I get the impression contrast ratio figures are being hidden from the consumer and instead they are pushing the 'dynamic contast' figures instead. Again, maybe the dynamic contrast is just as good as the real thing.

You're right. My mistake. I think the best test of any TV is to see it in action. I have seen some of the Samsungs in action, hooked up to DVD players and Xbox 360s. I was so impressed I ordered the LE32R51B which is being delivered today.

I really hate when manufacturers use fancy jargon to BS people. I wonder what "'dynamic contrast" is? Maybe it's after some fancy algorithms have been used to boost the native contrast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

I went for the LE40R51B specifically because I had seen it in action running hidef stuff. I hadn't had a chance to see the "M" one and felt although it may be better, I knew I'd be more than happy with the R.

And indeed I am :-D

Advertisement