Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 computer network

Options
  • 23-01-2006 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

I have BB. I want to set up a wired network with the broadband sharing across all three and also file sharing.

I was thinking of getting a hub, connecting all three computers and setting up a network. Will the BB automatically be shared ?

was talking to a guy in PC world who said hubs were redundant and now some fiber optic soloution was being used.

Can someone explain how to do this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

delanest wrote:
    was talking to a guy in PC world who said hubs were redundant and now some fiber optic soloution was being used.
    Lol.

Just depends on what way the BB is being shared. Is the modem connected to one machine, and then internet connection sharing is set up? If so, then a hub would work fine (though I'm wondering what way you have it hooked up now).

The standard setup for a BB home network is
    Cable/DSL Modem <-> Cable/DSL Router <-> Computers. In this way there's no messing with Connection sharing, and only the router and modem need to be switched on for any machine to access the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

Is the modem connected to one machine, and then internet connection sharing is set up?

This was how I was going to do it. But your point on how the computer must be on for the other computers to connect is important.

How is
    internet connection sharing
    set up?

I'm trying to learn how this stuff works as well as set up the network at home. So in a network with say 20 computers, is one machine turned on all the time, connected to a hub and all the other computers connect to this hub, and then set up Internet connection sharing.

Thanks for the previous info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Usually what happens in a network of that size is the modem is connected to a hub/switch along with all the other computers, so that only the modem and hub need to be on permanently along with the server/firewall

Advertisement