Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Rabbit Neutering

Options
  • 23-01-2006 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know a reliable place on the Northside to get a buck neutered? I normally go the DSPCA vet and give them a decent donation but they don't neuter rabbits, so I asked in my local vet and they charge €100-120 depending on the size of the rabbit. Is this the normal price? Or can you reccomend somewhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Dilly

That sounds very expensive! I got my guy neutered in a veterinary hospital in Dublin 15 for around €80 a few months ago. He had to wear a collar for a week afterwards though - some places will put internal stitches in for you to minimise this discomfort!

My vet is Hillcrest Veterinary hospital in Clonsilla. They have a great team of vets in there and I would particularly recommend Sandra Aungier as she is very thorough with buns!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Our wee boy cost about 70 euro but it's always cheaper in Tipp. 100 to 120 is what you would pay some places for a dog or cat to be neutered, same op so don't see why it wouldn't be the same price. However it is worth while shopping around but obviously use an experience rabbit vet. Buster collar is a must until the stitches are out they look so cute with them on and soon get used to it, nothing worse than a naughty bunny taking out there stitches, great invention buster collars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Our wee boy cost about 70 euro but it's always cheaper in Tipp. 100 to 120 is what you would pay some places for a dog or cat to be neutered, same op so don't see why it wouldn't be the same price. However it is worth while shopping around but obviously use an experience rabbit vet. Buster collar is a must until the stitches are out they look so cute with them on and soon get used to it, nothing worse than a naughty bunny taking out there stitches, great invention buster collars.

Is it more complicated to get a rabbit done? Cause most places I know only charge around €50 for a kitten.

Is it cheaper, dearer or same price to get a female done?

I have both a buck and a doe and I would like to bond them, do I need both done straight away? I know that neutering the doe reduces the rick of ovarian cancer but I can't afford to get them both done yet, which should I do first?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I'd personally get the doe done first. The benefits of getting her done are much greater than the buck & if she's done then you definitely won't end up with an accidental litter.
    My vet charges me €50 to neuter a rabbit. A doe will usually be more expensive as it's a more invasive operation but I have frequent flyer miles :D
    I did pay €90 to get a ferret spayed but it was an underweight female & there were complications.

Where is your vet?

Can I put them together when the Doe is healed or will the Buck be aggressive towards her? They live in cages side by side and seem to 'like' each other.

Also, the Doe is a rescue and slightly underweight, although she's coming on in leaps and bounds. Would she be at a higher risk having the op?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

I think the best person to advise you whether or not she is up top the operation is a vet, shopping around is good, but you need to look at who is more professional, cheap price may mean inexperienced vet

Agree, get the little girly done first and at least that's out of the way. Mabey someone can pass you on some numbers of vets near to you that are good but also reasonable, although it might work out cheaper in the long run for you if the two are done at the same time sometimes vets will give a discount if there is more than one animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

My small animal vet is in Celbridge. I'd wait til the stitches are out (or dissolved depending on which are used) & make sure the doe is feeling 100% before attempting to start introducing them to one another.

A friend of mine used a vet in city centre for her rabbits - do you want me to get the details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

That seems a lot but then again I don't know how much it usually costs,when my gerbil was being neutered it only cost 5 euro!

Aww bless, does anyone have a list of vets that do gerbil neutering because I have had phone calls about people wanting the info before.

• Advertisement

If anyone can PM me numbers of vets (Northside or CC) they consider to be reliable it would be much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 SusieBelle

I had to pay €120 to have my doe spayed, the vets I went to said the price had risen because the anaesthetics etc had gone up in price. Not sure how true this is. I found it pretty hard to get a good smallie vet near me you really have to look around!
    Also I wasn't given a cone for my girl they said she wouldn't need it, but she did!! the first thing she did when she got home was start on her stitches!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As a cat owner, these prices for spaying / neutering rabbits seem very high!! Is there any good medical reason why they should be so much more expensive?

Thats what I've been wondering, maybe it is alot more complecated? This could also be why the DSPCA vet won't do it.

Advertisement