Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless encryptions & passwords ..

• 23-01-2006 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Couple of questions about wireless, encryption and passwords ...

When I choose WEP encryption -> 128bit encryption -> passphrase and then enter my passphrase as "mypassword1234" I then get a list of "keys generated by this passphrase" in the form of "AA BB CC DD EE FF 11 22 33 44 55 66 77".

Now, when I goto connect to the wireless network from my laptop I'd like to enter "mypassword1234" but it seems I can only enter "AA BB CC DD EE FF 11 22 33 44 55 66 77" to connect.

What am I missing? Is it down to support on the wireless adapter itself ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Thats the way I set up WEP too. I think (not too sure) that it only uses your "passphrase" as a generator for the actual WEP key. If you use WPA you won't have this problem. You get to choose the actual key itself. Plus you'll feel a lot safer knowing that your network is secure. WEP is a very weak form of encryption and is very easily cracked. But then again it might be more than sufficient for you if you don't have any nosey neighbours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

So, if someone gives me a wireless password in the form of "mypassword1234" they're using WPA encryption? (like many cafes and wifi zones?)

There's no way to have a password in the form of "mypassword1234" using WEP ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

I'm not an expert but that has just been my experience with WEP. I didn't really pursue it. I just took what was given to me. On my linksys when i enter in a passphrase i'm given 4 or 5 keys like you described. Maybe if you pick one of those keys and replace it with what you want it might work. However I would imagine that this would not be recommended. Unless your using a device that only supports WEP and cant' support WPA you should really be aiming for the latter.

Edit: It just occured that if you did replace one of the keys with your passphrase it would most likely need the same amount of characters. As it is this that determines what "bit" encryption your using. WEP only supports 64 and 128 bit afaik. So that would most likely mean 8 and 16 characters respectively. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

With WEP:
    - is there an option for passphrase or hex key? Or can both be used together?
    - is the ability to connect to a wireless hotspot which uses a passphrase dependant on the software or hardware you're using?

I'm not interested in getting into a debate on the benefits of WPA over WEP, but thanks for your thoughts anyhow :)

Advertisement