Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nevermind vs In Utero

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

In Utero
    Slash/ED wrote:
    Lyrically, no, far far more thought was put into the In Utero lyrics (Pretty much any thought going in would be more than some of the Nevermind songs which he wrote just before going in to record) and they're better for it, they're very very well written sonfs lyrically some of them.

Yes, but do you honestly think the songs suffer as a result of this? Do you honestly think that Polly is somehow a less meaningful song because Cobain may have only scribbled down a finished version of the lyrics before strolling into the studio to record it?

He may have spent more time on the lyrics to In Utero but this doesn't mean that they are better or even more meaningful. If anything, the opposite could be said to be true. He laboured over In Utero and it shows. The songs just weren't coming to him as readily as they had for Nevermind and so he found himself having to put more time in.

I'll grant you that Serve the Servants, Heart Shaped Box, Very Ape and All Apologies can lyrically stand toe to toe with anything else he wrote and also have meaning. But I think, pound for pound, Nevermind has more examples of songs that fit that criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

In Utero
    I think nevermind works better as an album. In utero is brilliant, but much more disjointed. It's a collection of songs rather than a set of songs that work well together and strengthen each other.

With regards the suggestion that Kurt hated nevermind, I think anyone who is a fan of Nirvana needs to step back from the messianic worship of said singer and realise that he said a lot of bullsh!t from time to time. I personally don't believe that he hated Nevermind at all. Kurt was obsessed about being a scenester and not selling out, which was part of the reasoning behind making In utero so abrasive.

I'm sure after singing teen spirit for two years the album would become jaded for him but that's the same for most bands with a hit that big.

Advertisement