Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

were to polybond

Options
  • 23-01-2006 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi lads. just a question. were exactly would you polybond in the house. am i right in saying you shouldn tile under the wooden floor or tiles? im not sure which one. also. im getting floor tiles in the bathroom and its just a wooden sheet and what i have been told is i need to buy some ply wood to put that down before i put down the tiles is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

with regard to yourquestion on polybond, you can polybond on to a concrete floor before you lay carpet etc. keeps the dust levels down. You can also put it on a newly'ish plastered wall before painting. Make the mix very watery I would say 1:20 for walls and 1:10 for floors. I used a regular paint roller for both surfaces and drain off the excess off the roller before you apply or it will splash everywhere.

As for tiling on the bathroom, I would recommend you use marine ply sheets before tiling on the floor.

I don't understand what you mean about tiling under wooden floors though???????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

cheers lex i just typed that wrong. so its defo a no no to just tile on the sheets? i meant that is it ok to polybond the concrete floor before putting down tiles? and is it ok to polbond floors that are getting wooden floors down

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Blahblah06

You may need to use a bit on English in this question - go on give us a hint eh!

LOL ok ok

getting my tiles down tomorrow. downstairs in concrete. Upstairs is the sheets of wood.

Basically i wanted to know WHY i have too put down more wood to fit the tiles?

then 2nd is it ok to put the polybond on the concrete floors that are taking both wooden floors and the tiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

blahblah06

If I have this right your tiling on both concrete and wooden flooring.

Why would you want to use polybond on either ?

Downstairs -Concrete
    As Lex suggested it will help to keep the dust from rising on the concrete floor, but you are tiling it aren't you - this will in effect seal the concrete floor - my advice here is not to bother poybonding the concrete unless carpeting or placing a floating floor etc.

Upstair on the flooring just use marine ply and don't bother using the polybond as it will have a minimum effect on the wood. In fact it might impact on the adhesion of the tiles. Marine ply is your man, however if you have already put down the ply I still would Polybond it I'm not sure it will have any impact

Tell me you haven't bought a gallon of Polybond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi blha............

This could be one of those threads where Doctors differ etc , Martin is correct in that you shouldn't need to coat your concrete floor with Polybond.

But neither Martin or I have seen the floor so it may have a dusty finish and your tiler is happy that you don't need levelling compound but a surface that will not absorb the adhesive too fast.

Regarding the floor upstairs I take it you have been asked to fit a 6 mm sheet of ply on top of an existing sheet or timber floor ?

The reason for the seperate sheet is to allow the main floor to move (expand / contract) and settle without putting the tiles under pressure causing them to break or the grout to open at a later stage.

I can't see what benefit there would be in applying polybond to 6 mm marine ply but a gallon is only slightly more expensive than 1/2 gallon so it may be in your best interests to prepare the floor exactly as your tiler wants it done, that way if there are any problems later he can't blame you for not preparing the surface to his standard.

The only reason I can see the benefit of the polybond on the concrete floor is to keep the dust rising from the concrete if you don't plan on covering the concrete for a while. Otherwise, its up to yourself.

When I tiled my bathroom floor, I removed all the floor boards (18mm thick). Put down 9mm marine ply + 6mm tiles + adhesive to have the floor the same level so the sink pedastel & WC fit back in same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Hi Lex,

unless the people in your house are super light aren't you leaving the floor support a bit light there ? given that you won't get any support from the tiles - you're depending on 9mm plywood to support weight. (including the wc).

ifah wrote:
    Hi Lex,

unless the people in your house are super light aren't you leaving the floor support a bit light there ? given that you won't get any support from the tiles - you're depending on 9mm plywood to support weight. (including the wc).
    ifah,
    I've had no problems with it yet...I could be wrong and it might have been 12mm ply. I can't remember if the wood boards I took up were 18 or 21mm.

Lads thank you so much. i just put down 6 mm ply wood and i didnt polybond it. i just polybonded the concrete floors downstairs. thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement