Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Online Selling question

Options
  • 23-01-2006 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Posted this one because I didn't want to hijack the other thread.

I am looking for a payment processor that also provide a shopping cart, but not a full online store. This is on behalf of a friend of mine, but I will be doing the integration.

The ideal set up is:

The site has it's own online store with products, prices etc. The "add to basket" link will add the product to the cart hosted by the payment processor. The item will be added to the cart, and then a "continue shopping" link will bring the person back to the original site, or the "checkout" link will process the payment entirely on the payment processor site. This site will then notify my friend that a payment has been made, and he will ship the product accordingly.

I know there are free solutions that will provide a free shopping cart, and interface with payment gateways, but I don't want to go down this route for several reasons:

1) I don't want the site to look like a re-branded shopping cart - the online store is only part of the site

2) I want to remove the entire payment layer away from the site, and let an established site handle this side of things. This is really for peace of mind.

3) I want to be able to stand over anything that is customised at a code level, but with a full blown payments engine, I don't think I could do that with any degree of authority.

I thought I had found the perfect solution with 2Checkout.com, but it was only after reading the small print that I realised that getting the funds transferred to a non-US or Canadian account costs $5 a time, which cuts into my friends margins.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated, thanks in advance,

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

What about paypal.com? You can do everything you listed with that. They charge 0.50c per transaction and as far as i know thats the only charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

What about paypal.com? You can do everything you listed with that. They charge 0.50c per transaction and as far as i know thats the only charge.

Nope - it's not.

It varies from 3.4% + €0.35 EUR to 1.9% + €0.35 EUR

depending on your volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

from the user point of view, i have found paypal to be fustrating at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I did check out PayPal (their fees are quite competitive compared to some other payment processors). The only problem would be that I don't want to force customers to sign up for paypal as part of the process. Paypal only allow you to do this as a premier customer.

Back to the drawing board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

thats not correct.
    Any business customer can take card payments without forcing customers to sign up.
    This is the case for Ireland anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

yes paypal have changed that ,you can take credit card payments from customers who do not have a paypal account.

Sorry, you are correct - my problem was that it said that this option is available only to "Business or Premier" customers. I was getting confused with the "PayPal Website Payments Pro (USA only)" service.

Looks like PayPal is the way to go then, thanks to all who replied. I don't know why exactly, but I was quite surprised to see that their fees are quite reasonable...

If you are selling online then you need either a "business" or "premier" account :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jcunningham

To process VISA, MC, Amex and Laser online from Ireland without redirecting to a third party or PayPal sign-up you will need:
    - Internet Merchant Account (AIB,BOI,Ulster Bank Only)
    - Account with Payment Gateway Provider (RealEx)
    - Integrate the Code that RealEx provide with your website

Bank Fees:
    - VISA,MC and AMEX 1.5 - 4.5% of transaction value
    - Laser ~50c per transaction

RealEx
    - Anywhere for a couple of cent to 1 euro per transaction depending on your volumes

There are also a bunch of setup fees and security checks you've got to pass - budget another 500euro for this

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

I have been using 2checkout.com for years now. There are literally hundreds of third party carts available to use, from the simple to the full whack.

Take a look at them, or if things are going well, get yourself an merchant account.

• Advertisement

cianuro wrote:
    I have been using 2checkout.com for years now. There are literally hundreds of third party carts available to use, from the simple to the full whack.

Take a look at them, or if things are going well, get yourself an merchant account.

2Checkout actually provide their own shopping cart that would have been perfect. It all looked great, but process of getting the money from them was relatively costly and slow, so they are not an option sadly.

jcunningham, thanks for the info - paypal really seems to be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

Well, it actually depends on how much you make with them.
    If you are making $1000 a week, the $12 wire is not that costly IMO.

I also use PAYPAL, I give users the option to use both, but be careful with them. I have heard horror stories (www.paypalsucks.com) and I had a difficult time getting established (My rep is on 600 now) so they let certain things slide.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

Hi Folks
    Ive seen a number of questions on online payments gateways here and just wanted to get some quick opinion.

I have an online accomodation booking site ready to go and our developers had integrated paypal in. I wasnt initially happy as:
    a. It wasnt too clean
    b. We need to capture credit card details and pass them on to our suppliers in the event of no show which i know other companies do with the liked of realex.

I congtact realex who are always helpful and they said i had to get euroconnex on board as they were with boi. Eurconnex seem to be an unorganised shower of bastards with no interest in sorting you out i.e submitted site, chased them for 2 weeks, girl informed me that policies dept were sending a letter out but I couldnt get any joy from them.

Is there another gateway that I can seamlessly integrate into a booking page so that the user doesnt have to skip to another page and that can also capture credit card details. If you have any advice i could do with it
    James

If you got your own online merchant account you could use Realex directly... I can't see why you would have to go through a 3rd party if that was available to you.

Advertisement