Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used car out of warranty

Options
  • 23-01-2006 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi all,

I bought a 5 year old car in October. I was given a 3 month warranty. Today (6 days after the warranty ran out) on my way into work the head gasket went. I had a local garage bring it back to the dealers where I bought it. I rang the dealer to ask what was going to happen but he said he'd ring me back. Rang again a few hours later and got the same story. He was going to ring me back.

My local garage said it should be covered on his insurance but I'm not sure if this is standard practice or whether he's just one of the good guys.

So heres my question. Will the dealer cover this or is it down to me? Is there any part of the Sale of Goods Act that will help me out here?

I will ring again tomorrow to find out whats happening but am expecting the worst.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I can't see the dealer doing anything. It's a normal wear & tear item, and once you're out of warranty, it's your problem I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DigiMarc

The dealer agreed to pay for the labour and I'll pay for the parts, so not all bad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

DigiMarc wrote:
    The dealer agreed to pay for the labour and I'll pay for the parts, so not all bad. :)

Fair play to you, labour is the biggest part of head gasket problems so you did well.

Advertisement