Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Big Stereo Problems: Speaker Interferance

Options
  • 23-01-2006 8:02pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok so a few months ago I went all out and bought a really nice nice setup for my car. 2x12" subs, a 1500 watt 4 chanel amp, components and tweeters, and a new head unit. Myself and a mate installed it in a weekend and it was savage.

Got a new car, same car, newer better model, did the install again, but this time serious problems. When the engine is on I'm getting interferance in the subs and speakers. It is a high pitched whine that goes up and down with the revs of the engine. Also, When I put in a new cd you can hear it searching through the cd on the speakers, its very annoying. I took it to a shop and the guy spent ages working on it, installed some little box between the RCA's and the head unit - to ground it, which helped a bit but the noise is still there.

Possible Reasons for the problems:
    - The ground and power cables are aparantly not big enough. They are ok but I was told I should have huge cables to handle the power.
    - The RCA's and the power cable are going down the same side of the car, I was told they should be on oppasite sides.

These are unlikely to be the sole reason for the noise, but they may contribute tot he problem. I'm going to redo the whole thing, at the weekend.

However what was suggested to me is that the alternator is where the noise is coming from - aparantly the bearings can start to go and cause this noise, long before you notice anything wrong with the car.

Everyone I talk to has a diffent idea on what the problem is - but as they say: "Opinions are like Arseholes - everyone's got one"... I need someone who Really knows exactly what they are doing. I've put over €1500 into this system and having it less then perfect is killing me!

If anyone has any proper advice I'd love to hear it.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Zascar wrote:
    - The RCA's and the power cable are going down the same side of the car, I was told they should be on oppasite sides.

This can and will cause serious interference. If a power cable and speaker cable have to cross, try and make sure they do so perpendicularly, and don't run them parallel to each other...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Actually I got another set of RCA's and ran them outside the car and it made no difference so I don't think it can be that alone... Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭4-age

you need to put a sound supressor on your altenator to stop the whigning with nthe revs.then you need to run the cables rca and power down opisite sides of the car if doesnt solve it get sum big ass earth cables shoukd sort it out.alternator supressor is bout 6 quid in halfords.:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Wow, ok after god knows how many things we tried, completely rewired it and still no joy, my friend took his head unit out of his car and put it onto mine, and the noise was completely gone! We then put my head unit in his car and the high pitched noise could be clearly heard through his speakers! So after all that the problem comes from a faulty head unit... I bought it form IncarExpress in the uk so I guess I'll have to send it back...

Guys has anyone had experience with faulty head untis and sending them back for repair or replacement? I called the Irish pioneer distributers (www.avi.ie) and they said they will charge me 60 euro to get it fixed, I assumed uit should be under warranty. Its 3 months old though. People have told me that their quality or work is terrible and not to send it to them. What other options do I have? Anyone know any car austion electronics genuises?

• Advertisement
Advertisement