Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are any irish rappers making it??

• 23-01-2006 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

i think that it would be great to see some successfull irish rappers come about but are there any.like i heard scary eire and collie and their embarrasingly bad at best ,but do you hink there making any money from it like good money not just a few hundred euro at the odd appearence in the back of some club or pubjust wondering who is the best rapper so far that has come out of ireland if you were to judge from who has been the most successfull and not just who you like the most

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Toasty

collie is pretty gud!
    he's from dublin!
    have u heard of him? if so what you think of him? (musically)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sugardaddy

yes i did hear him and i wasnt empressed when i did.i would how ever give him another listen if i remembered what website i heard him ondo you kno were i could hear him again but i doubt my mind will be changed ,even musically if i remember right it wasnt much to be impressed about though

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Toasty

sugardaddy wrote:
    yes i did hear him and i wasnt empressed when i did.i would how ever give him another listen if i remembered what website i heard him ondo you kno were i could hear him again but i doubt my mind will be changed ,even musically if i remember right it wasnt much to be impressed about though

i saw him at o2 and thought he was pretty gud!!
    its the dub accent that throws u!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Collie is terrible.Full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 buzzandwiks

shut up silly pants collie is the owner of cool4scool and is not naff hes rad, ya get me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The problem with something like current Irish rappers (and to some extent rappers in the UK and France) is that they just try and do the whole "we are tough gangstaz! no doubt" think and copy the style and attitute of black US rappers. And it looks stupid because they aren't black and they aren't from LA.

Even white US rappers like the Besties, Eminem and Buck 65 who are taken seriously, have to do something a bit different.

Advice for any Irish rappers. Try and be original, come up with an original style and topics to rap about.

And for feck sake stop doing the "frown at the camera and look 'ard" thing.

I don't think much of The Streets, but I think something like that would work a lot better in Ireland than a rapper trying to be the next Irish Ice Cube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

The problem with something like current Irish rappers (and to some extent rappers in the UK and France) is that they just try and do the whole "we are tough gangstaz! no doubt" think and copy the style and attitute of black US rappers. And it looks stupid because they aren't black and they aren't from LA
    wow, you're so off the mark there it's not even funny. Don't make assumptions based on...absolutely nothing whatsoever, you just embarass yourself. Emcees from the countries mentioned are 99% of the time totally reflective of their scene/native land, especially UK and France, jesus. The main reason these emcess GET $hit is for BEING themselves and speakin wit 'that accent', etc. Jesus, have you ever actually heard any emcees from these countries? If so I'd really like to know who..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nolly

well lads to be honest the people who are "making it" in the irish hiphop scene
    arent all act hard and gangsta types like yer man said
    its the complete oppitsite

if Collie isnt your thing, try MJEX they are the best thing in the irish scene and imo their the best in Europe

and Rob Kelly is the only person from outside the US to compete in the massive upcoming hiphop competition 16 bars
    and DJ Flip is making a whole EP with Buck 65..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

irish hiphop is in its birth stages, we need to let it grow and mature, then we can embrace it once it figures out where its heading, we have to wait until we have our own sound and style, just try all irish hiphop and we'll get better with time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Klimseven wrote:
    wow, you're so off the mark there it's not even funny. Don't make assumptions based on...absolutely nothing whatsoever, you just embarass yourself.

Wow yes I'm convinced at how wrong I am ... maybe you can find me a few promotional pictures of a few current Irish hip hop artists who aren't on a housing estate wearing hoodies looking "'ard"
    nolly wrote:
    well lads to be honest the people who are "making it" in the irish hiphop scene
    arent all act hard and gangsta types like yer man said
    its the complete oppitsite

Well I'm not sure how you define "making it", but that was kinda my point. So few are making it and most people couldn't name a Irish hip hop act other than House of Pain :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

The problem with irish rappers is they are rubbish. Im not even messing they are rubbish 100% of them. The only ones you hear of are the ones who make songs that take the piss and get on the radio for a week but only the way goldie lookin chain got on the radio not the way that will get them past gimmick status. Its not against all odds that some day in the distant future someone will make it big but not from the current load of rubbish thats out. I doubt its likly to happen the irish accent is horrible for this thing of ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

Wow yes I'm convinced at how wrong I am ... maybe you can find me a few promotional pictures of a few current Irish hip hop artists who aren't on a housing estate wearing hoodies looking "'ard"
    you said that Irish emcees act like they "are tough gangstaz! no doubt" and like they are "black" and from "LA". Since when has being from a housing estate and speaking with a Dublin accent been any of those things. Have you ever considered that these people actually ARE from housing estates? So they're rapping about what they know, what they live...just like I said. You said they were trying to be something they weren't and copy american hip-hop, which none of that stuff is...the exact opposite in fact...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nolly

Kristok wrote:
    The problem with irish rappers is they are rubbish. Im not even messing they are rubbish 100% of them. The only ones you hear of are the ones who make songs that take the piss and get on the radio for a week but only the way goldie lookin chain got on the radio not the way that will get them past gimmick status. Its not against all odds that some day in the distant future someone will make it big but not from the current load of rubbish thats out. I doubt its likly to happen the irish accent is horrible for this thing of ours.
    irish hip hop is just like all genres
    it personal tastes man

ill again refer you to MJEX (messiah j and the expert)
    http://www.myspace.com/messiahjandtheexpert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

I remember hearing a few tracks from 'Creative Control' (Or something) Is that their name. They had some real banging tunes. Are they Irish?

Just to add to last post. They had a video used to play on 'No Disco'. Animated video. Two guys in a van or something. Anyone know what I am on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

i liked Krisma's single, pretty good first time effort, very suprised 2 hear she is just 12, one to look out for in the future, gangsta rap is getting old and boring, people are sick of bling bling, same old same old, its time rap started reinventing itself again!:v:

Just found out that Creative Controle are now known as "Messiah J & The Expert" or MJEx.

They are very good. And they are Irish.

Oh, dont mind me, I will just natter away here to myself

Motm

That kid Krisma is terrible shes getting on crap like the late late show as a freak show not cause she is talaneted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Kristok wrote:
    That kid Krisma is terrible shes getting on crap like the late late show as a freak show not cause she is talaneted.

did you get up on the wrong side of bed this morning?

Cut the girl some slack, she's only 12 or something. everyone has to start somewhere.

and your the hip-pop fan. 50 cent is a pop artist, and a lot of young irish pop artists get their break on the likes of the late late show.its all publicity.

making a few generalisations earlier too about all irish hip-hop being sh1te! irish hip-hop may have a long way to go yet, but theres plenty of decent irish emcees and dj's making some decent music.

get off your high horse...collie's album is better than anything i've ever heard 50 drop, and the homemade bombs mixtape has plenty of artists who put g unit to shame!

• Advertisement

Although probably not put in the best manner I think Kristok was commenting on the fact that Krisma was on the Late Late more for being twelve than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

the homemade bombs mixtape has plenty of artists who put g unit to shame!

i disagree. i thought it was dire bar one or two decent moments... production was weak and chaotic apart from the needlz tune which was class... i'm not hating on irish hip hop in any way shape or form i've heard better off peoples myspace pages than i did on that cd... maybe i need to give it a few more listens but i was quite disappointed. glad i bought it though - these people need your support.

then again, Bassbin released their "first bite" cd compilation a few years ago, a showcase of irish drum and bass productions... the world laughed - five years later they're one of the biggest and best known non uk labels in jungle and they're getting played by dj's all over the world... point is that it takes time for these things to grow, if drum and bass artists can make their mark in a far more restricted and saturated market than hip hop then surely irish rappers can make their mark in hip hop???

with our rich cultural tradition of poetry and literature i'd be surprised if sooner or later there wasnt a hell of a lot more irish hip hop being taken much more seriously than it is now...

[i've never heard a g-unit tune - just like to point that out]

get off your high horse...collie's album is better than anything i've ever heard 50 drop, and the homemade bombs mixtape has plenty of artists who put g unit to shame!

Well all you seem to do is try to provoke an argument dont know why 50 cent is even being brought up. If you like kirisma so much go out and buy her single if one comes out but seeing as these irish rappers dont sell id imagine your not going to do that although im sure your going to disagree and claim youd buy it.

Kristok wrote:
    Well all you seem to do is try to provoke an argument dont know why 50 cent is even being brought up. If you like kirisma so much go out and buy her single if one comes out but seeing as these irish rappers dont sell id imagine your not going to do that although im sure your going to disagree and claim youd buy it.

Look i'm sorry if i have deeply offended you and you're taste in music, i just felt that your comment was a bit harsh about all irish hip-hop being sh1te.i don't think that krisma girl is particularly good at all, and i probably wouldn't buy her single, but i'm not in the habit of buying singles anyway. i'd give it a listen though, and if it was decent i'd buy it. i'm not trying to provoke any arguments, was just wondering why there was so much venom in your post on the topic.

there are not many,if any Irish rappers making it, but i don't put it down to a complete lack of talent in the industry. the money is not there and there are no major irish record companies or producers who are willing to back a proper marketing and promotional campaign for an irish rapper or rap group. theres not enough demand there. we won't have an eminem or a jay-z, or even roots manuva in ireland, even if the talent is there, for a long time, because the money is not being invested yet.

I dont care if you dont like my taste in music im sure I dont like yours. Why should I cut the girl any slack shes public property the second she says she wants to be a rapper and deserves what she gets when she comes out with rubbish like ive heard her come out with. She is getting attention cause she is 12, as hard as it is to admit ive heard better irish rappers (only slightly better mind) why are they not on the late late show ? why are they not on spin ? cause they are a load of rubbish but unlike kirisma they are not the little cute kid trying to be a rapper.

In one thread your saying money dosnt matter in rap and here your saying it does. If they had any talent they would have someone signing them, do you think noone is listening to them when they go on before kanye and 50 from their camps incase there is talent to be discovered. People are listening to them and laughing not giving them props. Look at that girl from england that jay z signed. Now ive no idea if she is any good but she got jays attention and he signed her so it dosnt matter if we have any major labels most irish rock groups dont get signed to irish labels they go abroad but the difference is they usually have some talent. Sure didnt louis walsh sign mumbas brother years ago when he was going to be a rapper and thats as big a label your going to get. No irish rapper is going to make it for the simple fact that they dont have anything to talk about, songs about the dole might get you on the radio for a few spins but not because people want to hear it but because they are laughing at you not with you. You cant come from the point of view of someone from a ghetto or tell stories of what youve seen when you live in a country with virtually 100% employment and people who are on the dole for whatever reason dont just survive they get enough money to live a nice life unlike people in america who barly get enough money to feed themselves if they dont have a job. If your rapping about how hard you are you sound like a scumbag and if you talk about selling drugs your just going to sound like a wigga. They also are impossible to understand, im sorry all you wannabe rappers but when even irish people have to ask what you just said americans or whatever are going to have no hope. Someone one day might be able to rap through the accent and actually make a song people like but not a single one of the idiotic rappers ive heard from ireland have even an ounce of talent and if they where from anywhere other than ireland youd be laughing at them instead of pretending to like them, the only people who are really into it are the people doing and anyone else is some fool considering wasting their time doing it too. If you really love hip hop get into production or dj'ing you might have a hope at that side.

i think you're missing the point of the thread, its about irish rappers making it, which essentially comes down to money doesn't it? in the other thread i said that making money does not make you a top rapper, but it does make you a successful rapper. i also said that money did matter in rap, and that every rapper wanted to make money, but that it wasn't the most important thing to some of them. but thats off topic so back to this thread. making money doesn't mean you're talented, it means you're "making it"! and the money i was talking about in the post above, if you had read carefully, was money from backers, not money from sales. my point was that, in order for an irish rapper to really "make it" there would need to be money invested in the Irish rap industry, which there is not!

I'm not the type to call people names via the net but Kristok you really are a tool!

You don't like Irish Hip Hop, we get the point! You can take comfort "knowing" that 50 Cent runs Hip Hop. You don't worry about the rest of us, we'll carry on with out you.

And if youd read my post carefully I said there is no need for any investment in any irish industry. If they are talented theres are tousands of american labels looking for rappers all the time, but they are not tallanted so noone is going to sign them. The smple fact is anyone of us who have listened to rap for a while can come up with the same rubbish as these so called rappers come out with. The industry is about money that dosnt mean every town needs a rap industry people can bring their talent to the labels just like rock bands do.

Anyway if you have an opinion on what makes a top rapper start a thread about it ill be happy to talk to you about it.

Ay Cee wrote:
    I'm not the type to call people names via the net but Kristok you really are a tool!

You don't like Irish Hip Hop, we get the point! You can take comfort "knowing" that 50 Cent runs Hip Hop. You don't worry about the rest of us, we'll carry on with out you.

Hey if you guys can express your opinion in threads about 50 cent etc I can express mine here, dont get all pissed off like a child if I offend you im so sorry for indirectly slagging you off sometimes the truth hurts.

If im wrong how about actually formulating a come back instead of behaving like a child.

• Advertisement

Acting like a child? You're the one calling ALL Irish rapper idiots and talentless.

You're stereotyping. I mean it says you're location is Finglas. So by your rationale I could assume you only get net access down the job club because people stereotype Finglas as being a kip full of skangers.

You're expressing your opinion, fair enough. But I've done enough gigs around the country to know what you are saying isn't valid.

Only Saturday night I was talking to some "middle aged" by which I mean 50+ people who bought a few of our CD's. They went on to tell me how I'd "converted" them because they don't like rap.

Because of the rap music you listen to you assume everyone needs to be talking about the ghetto or drug dealing or whatever. Why would Irish people talk about stuff like that?!

There are thousands of hip hop groups who steer away from all that. They've nothing to do with Shady/ Aftermath/ G Unit so you might not have heard of them. Whoops, there I go sterotyping again.

You think because rappers aren't selling millions of albums they're not talented. As has been pointed out repeatedly, success doesn't always equal talent.

Advertisement