Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are any irish rappers making it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

You lying sh!t Collie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Ay Cee wrote:
    If someone doesn't like my stuff - fair enough. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

It's the blatant close mindedness and TELLING me and others we CAN'T rap with Irish accents and we'll NEVER sell because it's their opinion they expect everyone else to subscribe to it.

You say you dont care what I and some others think yet your getting worked up over it. I dont like irish rap I dont think your going to get anywhere I also dont care if you do it and imo waste your time all I care about is when I am forced to listen to irish rappers at concerts before the act I actually went to see and imo its only because they are saving money bringing a good supporting act with them. Why does it matter what age anyone is ? if someone is 13 they are just as entitled to not like you as anyone else, maby more so its kids who buy most music.

Makaveli wrote:
    Do you honestly think southsiders care one little bit about Finglas Westsiiiiide?
    But you know well done on trying to play down one generalisation you made only to turn around and make another one in the same paragraph.

Yea thanks, but I wasnt trying to turn anything around I was replying to something that was said just as he replied to something I said.

Makaveli wrote:
    You're ignorance to Hip-Hop shines through once more with your nuggets of wisdom about how Irish people have nothing to rap about, unless they are on the dole and even then they can get by comfortably in life. You don't have to come from the hood/ghetto/have no money/be homeless/sell drugs/take drugs/shoot people/get shot at/fight/wear bling/pimp women/drive an suv sitting on 24s etc to rap. Just because the rap you listen to deals with this subject matter doesn't mean it all does.

You just dont get it do you. Its not what I listen to its what the majority of people who buy hip hop listen to.

Makaveli wrote:
    Fair enough it is your choice as to what you listen to but where do you get off telling people what they can and can't do?

A question was asked about irish hip hop thats where I get off.

"yet your getting worked up over it"

Eh, I don't think so. This is supposed to be a discussion forum, I was putting across my opinion.

Why don't you just stay out of topics that deal with Irish rap? You don't like it, in fact I'd go so far as to say you loathe it. We all know your views on it, they're not going to change. So instead of repeating yourself just ignore them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Hi folks,

just back from a trip to Budapest and catching up on all the goings on. this thread was actually getting quite interesting for a while there. was nice to see a bit of in depth discussion of the industry and to see some strong points being made (w.r.t. Sony, etc....). That was, unfortunately, until a certain someone, whose name need not be mentioned, decided to try and drag the debate back down to his highly sofisticated level.

Fair play to AC for sticking to his principles, any big label like sony are just looking for a gimmick to generate some quick sales, especially in a time when cd sales are in decline. they'll pick you up, suck you dry and spit you out before you even know whats happened, and all of a sudden you've gone from a rap group with underground support and respect, to "those wannabe rappers from ireland who failed miserably and got dumped by their label". Labels like sony don't want to make good music, they want to make music that will sell to 12 year old girls. If thats your target audience then by all means go for it!

Just a quick question Kristok, the cheeky girls have sold more cds in Ireland than the Gudmen, Collie et al, (not to mention pretty much every other american rapper),does that make them better artists and does that mean you're a cheeky girls fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Collie Collins

Ay Cee wrote:
    You lying sh!t Collie :D

ok thats it, your never coming up to my mansion again... :p

• Advertisement

Which one?

the one in l.a.. your more then welcome to drop into the my n.y. pad or my rochestown lodgings, just make sure ye bring back the hummer this time, one o' me main bitches wants to borrow it....

*did i type that out loud?*

Ah sher the one in LA is sh!te anyway, no skin of my nose. On a side note could you email that link about the suicide thing to me again. Got misplaced.

Sorry folks, back to the topic at hand now.

That was, unfortunately, until a certain someone, whose name need not be mentioned, decided to try and drag the debate back down to his highly sofisticated level.

Start your own forum if you want to control what people say otherwise get over it.

Just a quick question Kristok, the cheeky girls have sold more cds in Ireland than the Gudmen, Collie et al, (not to mention pretty much every other american rapper),does that make them better artists and does that mean you're a cheeky girls fan?

No they are just as rubbish but good comparision cheeky girls where a joke so is irish rapping. But to the cheeky girls credit at least people know who they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

to the cheeky girls credit
    ...that's all...

• Advertisement

yes thats all :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

So fúcking what if people know who they are, they're shams, so everyone knows they're shams, you're obsessed with fame and fortune and you cant seem to acknowledge the FACT that just because a rapper isn't platinum does not mean that he is talentless, there is absolutly no correlation between the two.

The Charts are a joke, a sick joke and a demonstration of the power of marketing campaigns and the stupidty of 16 year old who believe in whatever a fad is being sold to them, for the last few years its been "Hip-Hop", hopefully next year they'll move on to something else, and leave Hip-Hop to the people who arent in it just to rape it for the cash cow it has turned into, to the people that were the originators and the ones that do it for the love of it, whether they have Irish accents or not.

line dancings due a comeback soon enough i reckon, that should do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

the one in l.a.. your more then welcome to drop into the my n.y. pad or my rochestown lodgings, just make sure ye bring back the hummer this time, one o' me main bitches wants to borrow it....

*did i type that out loud?*
    I HAVE YOUR ALBUM!!!! liked some of it not all tho :( nice 1 imo

taught id do a keep groupie thing there :/

i also liked aycee's chatting hard but more for the music and samples than the disses!

anyway the only irish hiphop ive given a chance to before this thread was Urban intelligence(and the affore mentioned Collie). so my opinion of the music was kinda low! collies cool but i seriously cant stand that urban intellegence crap, no offence to the lads its nothing to with the accent, the flow is a sham tho i cant stand it! but now after hearin aycee nu centz and tha Gudmen i kinda see it in a better way now thank and as tha cliche goes

KEEP IT REAL

ubu wrote:
    line dancings due a comeback soon enough i reckon, that should do it.

I've been waiting so long for that to happen, i polish my cowboy boots up every day, just in the hope that I'll hear "Cotton Eye Joe" again.

Collie you should definitely do a redneck remix of Get Out, would be number 1 with a bullet!

Seriously though, you should check out the Hayseed Dixie version of Run DMCs "Walk this way", its class! and the "Country Got Soul" albums are pretty good too!

cheers smokie
    Ay Cee wrote:
    Ah sher the one in LA is sh!te anyway, no skin of my nose. On a side note could you email that link about the suicide thing to me again. Got misplaced.

done!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ciaran13

any big label like sony are just looking for a gimmick to generate some quick sales

this is just simply not true, except in the rarest of cases.

big labels would much prefer to sign a "U2" then a "cheeky girls".A band that makes good music such as U2/coldplay/redhotcpeppers can bring in guranteed revenue for years as oppose to two months. And altho obviously u2's slice of profits has got bigger its still a huge earner for their label.so to say they're only lookin for gimmick is bollocks.
    talent eventually always comes to the top. twista was around for bout 10 years before he "made it" with his kamikaze album. both 50 cent and kanye west had two street albums before making it ,aswell as **** loadsa mixtapes.some dude who won a mobo this year didnt even have a record deal, but he was good enuf to get noticed. so if an irish rapper was gud enuf then he wud be makin it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Very few UK rappers are managing to get big label deals. Dizzee Rascal is about the only one who broke through. Roll Deep and Kano made a little bit of an impression but certainly aren't mainstream radio.

Plan B and Lady Sov may get big this year. But I doubt it.

If you can count the number of successful UK mc's on half of one hand I don't think Irish hip-hop is going to break through for another decade, if at all. Irish people are still primarily pop, rock and dance music buyers. Hip-hop and metal are both marginal markets so you're unlikely to get any grass roots support from at home. An Irish rapper would have to go to the US and create some buzz. In fact, why don't a group of Irish MC's band together and do a tour abroad. That would help people take Irish hip hop more seriously.

ciaran13 wrote:
    this is just simply not true, except in the rarest of cases.

big labels would much prefer to sign a "U2" then a "cheeky girls".A band that makes good music such as U2/coldplay/redhotcpeppers can bring in guranteed revenue for years as oppose to two months. And altho obviously u2's slice of profits has got bigger its still a huge earner for their label.so to say they're only lookin for gimmick is bollocks.
    talent eventually always comes to the top. twista was around for bout 10 years before he "made it" with his kamikaze album. both 50 cent and kanye west had two street albums before making it ,aswell as **** loadsa mixtapes.some dude who won a mobo this year didnt even have a record deal, but he was good enuf to get noticed. so if an irish rapper was gud enuf then he wud be makin it...

Well obviously!! Big labels sign big artists because they want to make money, thats just smart business, you've an automatic fanbase and guaranteed sales. I'm just saying that big labels will also look to exploit any little niche in the market to make a quick buck. the record industry is in a bit of a downturn so companies will take money wherever they can get it, whether its U2 or some flavour of the month act they can exploit for a quick buck and then dump. its a little naive to say that if you're good(gud) enough(enuf) you would(wud) be making(makin) it. Like you say yourself, it took a number of big name artists a long time to get noticed and thats in America, where Hip-hop is the most popular genre of music. I think we can safely say that Irish Hip-hop is not a popular genre here (theres even hate from people who claim to be hip-hop fans), so chances are theres any number of talented irish artists who won't get noticed for a long time, if ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

ciaran13 wrote:

You do realise that you just held up some artists here that are now selling millions who spent a long time to get there and then pointed out that irish artists must be bad because they are taking a long time to get there?????

How come people always point out the Underground stuff after the fact? Why not seek it out while it's still underground.

Go listen to Syntax Mastery, or MC Propaganda or **** it, even Murkage from the UK. Never mind your 50 cent pop rap. Check out Necro, Big Pun, Sticky Fingerz. Don't pin your hopes on a ****ing franchise dude. Like what you like, but don't limit yourself.

dragan wrote:
    How come people always point out the Underground stuff after the fact? Why not seek it out while it's still underground.
    f ucking Amen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ciaran13

because if the rapper is any good then he will leave the underground and become mainstream.if hes not gud enuf then he wont...

Wrong. If an artist is sellable enough and appeals to a wide enough demographic then they go can become mainstream. Talent doesn't equal commercial success, jesus take a look at the charts for the last 3 decades for indisputable proof of this.

ciaran13 wrote:
    because if the rapper is any good then he will leave the underground and become mainstream.if hes not gud enuf then he wont...

I'd say I could probably name 50 "underground" Mc's who would wipe the floor with any body from the charts!

Klimseven wrote:
    Talent doesn't equal commercial success

How do people keep missing that point?!

ciaran13 wrote:

Yeah , but you previously pointed out how long some of the people you like to get out of the "Underground" , so how can you judge other acts for being "Underground". Besides, i ****ing hate that term, in this modern world of the internet and digital music there is no underground, only unsigned. And despite what may think, not all acts want that major label deals.

I know your having trouble dealing with this point but the fact that you can't fathom it doesn't mean it not true. Slowly but surely the spirit of the Independant has been cutting into the rap scene. Why sign to a label when you can match the money they would filter down to you by putting out your own **** if it's good enough, keep the masters and rights to YOUR music etc.

Syntax Mastery said it best ( that's the second time i've said his name to you, how long before you google it? )

"Follow me as i can say, the kinda game that i could play, i could take pride in, ridin with Dr Dre, to realising you only be depriving yourself, and only yourself when your being childish. But **** that, i'm done with that, done with trying to run with that, about to do the numbers that..... they do now."

Once again, never assume that what you are being spoonfed is the best rap on the planet. Flick through MTV and find any name you want and i will find some insigned kid who would destroy them. Most of those channels stopped playing decent rap a long time ago. The fact that you can get on the net means you have all the tools to broaden the artists you listen to.

Use it.

ciaran13 wrote:
    some dude who won a mobo this year didnt even have a record deal, but he was good enuf to get noticed

sway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 checkit

hey acee i was in galway last summer and i saw u performing with ur crew all it was was noise, no origional beats, couldnt understand one word u said..we were just walking away when this kid wearing a dublin jersey got on the mic did two songs and was amazing the hairs on the back of my neck stood up watching her..now i know this is krisma

im not suprised u have nothing positive to say bout her she would have been 11 at the time and she made a show of u

peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shane2005

checkit wrote:
    hey acee i was in galway last summer and i saw u performing with ur crew all it was was noise, no origional beats, couldnt understand one word u said..we were just walking away when this kid wearing a dublin jersey got on the mic did two songs and was amazing the hairs on the back of my neck stood up watching her..now i know this is krisma

peace

Krisma was on about two hours before the gudmen at that gig. But yeah she was excellent on the night.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Captain Moonlight. Editorial in the star on thursday and they printed the lyrics to Dirty c**ts track.

Checkit are you fcukin' delusional or what?
    What did I say about Krisma?

Any site I'm on where Krisma is mentioned a lot of new people pop up. Just claim your allegiance to her and be done about it. No point trying to hide.

I know Shane there's affiliated with Krisma I'm sure if I'd said anything he would have made some mention to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 checkit

i was talkin about on the streets of galway it was in the daytime..and i just find it interesting that u dont mention u know her r performed alongside her thats all..touch of jeal..aceeee maybe..!!

Advertisement