Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are any irish rappers making it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Are you alright in the head are ye? You're full of **** because Krisma was on BEFORE us in Galway on BOTH occasions. So your little tale there exposes an ulterior motive.

I don't mention I know her or performed with her because I don't and I didn't!
    I met the girl once. She did a set in the same venues as us.
    I had a chat with her and her ma. I found them both sound.
    The kid is 12. She's only slightly older than my own daughter so truth be told I was probably speaking to her mother more.

Despite being a rapper I don't move in "hip hop circles". I have my own friends. I know or have met nearly all the main rappers in the Irish scene. Doesn't mean I'd call them friends.

What do you want me to say? Hey I met Krisma once you can't say anything about her? People have their own opinions. I've enough **** to deal with being attacked on forums myself! You might know where I'm coming from on that one :rolleyes:

Kirsty has enough friends, fake or real who will jump to her defense. I look after myself first, the other 2 Gudmen second. After that every one else is on their own. I don't care who you are.

I warned her down in Galway to get some good people around her who only has HER best interests at heart.

So please take your head out of your a-hole the next time and get a clue before speaking on stuff you obviously know fcuk all about.

Tuigeann?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sugardaddy

wow im really quite proud of myself for creating this discussion i didnt think that it would get such a response .its not about what a few people like i was asking like is there anybody who is selling to a large majority,like i wanted to know was there anybody getting to dissie rascals exposore,i think dissie rascal is terrible but at the same time hes making it.so im just curious collie are you making any income from your music like not just the odd hundred euro for rapping in some local pub,i mean from your cds,like how much would you sell in a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

checkit wrote:
    hey acee i was in galway last summer and i saw u performing with ur crew all it was was noise, no origional beats, couldnt understand one word u said..we were just walking away when this kid wearing a dublin jersey got on the mic did two songs and was amazing the hairs on the back of my neck stood up watching her..now i know this is krisma

im not suprised u have nothing positive to say bout her she would have been 11 at the time and she made a show of u

peace

I have to say, i've been posting on here a while and i've never seen AC post a single slagging off Krisma, if anything i've read posts by him defending her. I've never seen the Gudmen performing, but their tracks i've listened to off the site are pretty good. Sounds like you're just looking to stir up shi*t for the sake of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

had a listen to the gudmen n i dont like it much, not because of the accents or being irish. its just not my taste.i rekon if ya have the balls to stand up and perform(and keep performing regardless of the narrow minded ppl who just want to slate them for their accents) they should be applauded.all music has its place, just like hip hop has its place in eire. i saw urban intelligence support nas.fekin loved every min of it n got me well intrested in irish hip hop. my 2 cents.................peeps:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 macguch

Theres a guy from Africa round my Area called Ray-Ray and he is pretty good, rumour has it that he is getting a record deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Collie Collins

sugardaddy wrote:
    so im just curious collie are you making any income from your music ?

yes, one MILL-ion dollars...

dr.evil_one_miliion_dollars.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 whitespiritz

was up,,look i see allot of peps dont av faith in our irish hip hop colture,,in all honesty its not the best,,its hard for young mcs to break out into d music buz when u aint got d resorces in ireland to help...,,,i see some peps r sayin irish rappers arnt mackin it well your wrong..im an mc now b4 u say sumtin listen to my music on www.soundclick.com/whitespiritz believe me ye will b surprised...i work wit 2 irish companies and one british and an american company..but i aint signin to none of em yet..advice 4 young mcs,,if a company comes allong dont jump at it and sign anywhere cuz believe me they will rape u..if they think u ar good enough say to them u dont wana sign yet,,u work wit them then u sign,,well das what u tell dem in this industry u gota b a leech to get ya music out of ireland,, sooo look b4 ye put irish hip hop down,,look up my stuff on WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/WHITESPIRITZ its an old site but my music is on it,,name of d group is WHITESPIRITZ

peace......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

• was up
    • dont av
    • hip hop colture
    • d music buz
    • resorces in
    • arnt mackin it
    • ye will b surprised..
    • u tell dem

maybe if irish rappers were articulate there'd be at least one guy out there representing irish hip-hop culture...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Ah that's hardly fair, just because he can't spell or type or punctuate or use correct grammar doesn't mean the others can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

I think the problem is that Irish MCs don't have an outlet to showcase their talents. Average joe on the street would struggle to name 2 Irish rappers. I first heard of Rob Kelly, Collie and Urban Intelligence etc on 2FM's the big smoke rap show. I think it was cancelled though. Wes Darcy played a load of hip-pop as well like nelly and ja rule but at least Irish rappers got a bit of radio time, albeit in the middle of the night.

We need a decent rap show on radio were the public can hear Irish acts and Irish acts ONLY. Give it a decent slot at around 9pm and watch record sales climb.

As for British rap..well I cant stand 90% of that sh!te. Channel U is an embarassment. How Dizzee Rascal or Lethal B ever got an album released is a mystery to me. They need to speak more clearly and get a decent producer. Sway could possibly be the saviour of UK rap

• Advertisement

phenomenon wrote:
      Sway could possibly be the saviour of UK rap

u sed it man, he's a ****in class act altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I find in most cases, Irish rap that bears a distinctive Irish accent just sounds too strange and as such I can't take it seriously, as I feel it sounds....wrong, for want of a better word. In the same way, I dislike most English rap, too - I'm not a fan of rap in general but of those I do like or would listen to, they would either be US or as such, sounds like they originate form the US. Thats not some sort of weird bigoted thing, its just as above, I find Irish rap with distinctive Irish accents offputting, and the same for most UK rap. I remember a few years ago I listened to a UK guy called Blade, and strangely, I really liked it but since then haven't heard anything else from him, or really gotten into any other uk acts.

Don't get me started on Channel U...me and my friends often turn that on if we want a few cheap laughs, for every decent band there are dozens of pathetic wannabes trying to live up to stupid stereotypes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think what you're forgetting though is that half the acts in the States are a complete joke too. We're in the position to pick and choose the créme de la créme from a huge American scene and for every MF Doom, there're 100 MC 187Killers.

The scene is small over here, however fans want hip hop, and a small local scene is bound to produce more **** than gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nick_fontaine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

First of all, UK rap is a lot better then what some here think.There are plenty of excellent artists-Asher D,Ti2bs,Blade and Baby J, Blak Twang,Dizzee,Sway,Kano,Roots Manuva,Coldcut etc.Lethal Bizzle is indeed utterly awful,but Dizzee is a highly rated artist,and rightly so(of course if you can't understand his accent I suppose you can just dismiss him...:rolleyes: ).His two albums are excellent in my opinion.Sways good,but I'd prefer to listen to just about everyone I lsted above then him.

Channel U is one of the better music channels imo,certainly better then Base,even if the tracks shown are usually not particurly stellar there are plenty of gems out there.I might as well point out that getting your opinions from watching a few minutes of Channel U on a whole music genre is a tad bit idiotic.

Finally,its been a good Hip-Hop year in general I think.Coldcut,Method Man,The Roots,Outkast,DJ Shadow,Sway,Spank Rock,J Dilla(twice),Cut Chemist,Rhymefest,Dabyre,Dr. Octagon etc(I am missing a whole ****load from the start of the year) and with Monch,Nas,Jay-Z,AZ and more still to drop,maybe we should be complaining a bit less and listening a bit more?Continously slagging off a whole genre of music helps pretty much nobody.TBH Music in general seems to be either stagnating or declining in quality.

Channel U is an awful channel. Maybe if they put some proper thought into it would be a whole lot better but it's just a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭j2u

channel u???????????what a heap of ****e.dizzie rascal????he talks so fast u cant understand him especially with that accent.twista talks fast but i think that hes alright,but dizzie,no chance.i hope he gets shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Dizzee has his own style which seems to scare people. Personally I liked Boy in da Corner, not enough to have any real interest in listening to his 2nd album. Twista however, is ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

lol @ preferring Twista to Dizzee.Dizzee has his pown style of rhyming and music,and we ned that kinda innovation in Hip-Hop.

TBH I find it harder to understand Ghostface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

I think most ppl would agree that Channel U sucks the proverbial cock but what I can't understand is that theres some truly excellent UK rap out there. Why isn't this shown on Channel U?? I often stay awake listening to BBC Radio 1 well into the night, they play some great tunes...real original stuff (Not Westwood cos his show is nearly worse...I can't stand his 'club rap' and the random sound effects just ruin the songs) I can't think of names off the top of my head as a lot would be underground artists but I'll keep you posted

• Advertisement

Klashnekof, Jehst, Phil Life Cypher, Tommy Evans, Mark B and Blade, Roots Manuva, Blak Twang, DJ Format. Then there's the likes of The Herbaliser and all the others on Ninja Tune.

There's a lot of very good Hip-Hop acts from the UK, but the crap on Channel U does them no service at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Nu-Centz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 White_Noise

get in there nuie! haha.

gents, the irish hiphop scene is getting it's **** together. there's a handful of solid live acts around, and a good few more with decent tracks.

as for uk, channel u is as far from real UK hiphop as mtv is. there are buckets of good uk mc's worth checking. if you really like your hiphop you should check some of the live irish hiphop nights around. some are admittedly very ropey but there's also very decent ones about. give it time and there'll be a quality local scene.

i
      you
      not.

http://www.myspace.com/mouthdrummer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Evzer

To the person that said the problem with Irish rappers is that they act like their from gangsta's from LA etc, the exact opposite is true imo. The majority of irish hiphop that ive heard on the internet and cd's and the like is full of blokes playing up their "Oirishness" way too extremely, rapping about **** like drinkin dutch gold and burnt out cars...etc. also how commited they are to "the scene". Everyone knows these people are irish, they don't have to reinforce it in every single song.It feels like their trying to prove it to themselves more then anyone...Plus the fact Most irish accents don't really sound great when rapping. Messiah J and the Expert fell off badly aswell btw.

Kold wrote:
      I think what you're forgetting though is that half the acts in the States are a complete joke too. We're in the position to pick and choose the créme de la créme from a huge American scene and for every MF Doom, there're 100 MC 187Killers.

The scene is small over here, however fans want hip hop, and a small local scene is bound to produce more **** than gold.
      The Thing About That is that i think that if any half decent rapper from america comes overe here they would make easily,as long as they had a real decent beat,how many instrumentals havr you heard from irish rappers that are in any way in comparison with 50 cent,dre,eminem,2pac jayz any??most irish rappers ive heard have a really cheesy crappy beat and some gob**** rappin about the dole and beer cans?what a heap of ****e.but the way i see it its not what you say its the way you say it that matters.but having said that look at the streets,i wouldnt call mike skinner a rapper its pure dirt but if started off in america i doubt that he would have even been given directions to a recording studio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 John Strokes

I remember hearing a few tracks from 'Creative Control' (Or something) Is that their name. They had some real banging tunes. Are they Irish?

Creative Control and MJEX are one and the same.

they are all ****e,how many of them there mentioned above have even got far enough to get a video on channel u???none is my count,why would that be??because they are pure muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MiniMetro

Just listened to some of that Gudmen stuff. It sounds like 99% of irish "hip hop" I've heard before. To sum it up it sounds like something that anyone could do. It's bereft of any lyrical skill whatsoever. When you're listening to it, it just makes you think "I could do that".

It reminds me of those people who go on those Pop Idol type shows and haven't a note in their head, yet still think they're the next Mariah Carey because their deaf granny likes them to sing to her to keep them company.

Now I don't for one second think that you should stop doing what you're doing because you're clearly enjoying doing it. I think you should just have a little more perspective about it. For instance I love playing football but I'm realistic that I'd never make it as a professional.

As an aside, Aycee, you said you turned down a deal from Sony. There are 2 possibilities:
      1. You're lying
      2. You're a fool for turning down an opportunity to make money doing something that you're not very good at. (if Liverpool offered me a contract, believe me I wouldn't make the same mistake. "But Liverpool would want control over how I played my football"...."Yes that's what makes them your employer" )

• Advertisement

j2u wrote:
      how many of them there mentioned above have even got far enough to get a video on channel u???

funny sh1t man...

Advertisement