Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eriksson leaves .... (after the world cup)

• 23-01-2006 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

Eriksson is a lucky man...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

well at least england have their ready made excuse for not winning it already :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

name on the trophy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Source PA
    A statement on www.thefa.com said: The FA can confirm that Sven-Goran Eriksson
    will leave his post as England head coach after the World Cup in Germany.

FA chief executive Brian Barwick reached agreement with Sven and his
    advisors after discussions today.

Barwick said: The FA and Sven felt it was important to clarify his future.
    This is for the benefit of everyone connected with English football, especially
    the fans.

There has been so much speculation surrounding this matter in recent weeks
    and months, it was important to resolve it now.

This is the right outcome and I would like to thank Sven and his advisors
    for their tremendous co-operation.

As I have said before, our main objective is giving Sven and the England
    team the best chance of achieving success at the World Cup.

Sven is definitely the man to lead us in Germany.

Now is the time for everyone to get behind the team as we prepare for a
    tournament that presents us with a genuine chance of success.

Eriksson said: I am happy that we have reached this agreement and can now
    continue our preparations for the World Cup.

I know that I have the full support of the players and the FA and it is
    important to stress to everyone just how committed I am to achieving success
    this summer.

I care passionately about this job and I want everyone to know that. I have
    always enjoyed the incredible support of the fans and I know how important they
    will be to us in Germany.

This summer is the culmination of everything we have been working towards
    over the last five years. Let's go and win the World Cup.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Here's hoping he ****s off back to Serie A or to La Liga. Sick of the sight (and sound) of him at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

meh... I think everyone knew this was going to happen anyway, just as well it's out in the open now.
    So, does Sven get a nice £3m handshake?

Time to get the "who'll get it next" bandwagon up and running.

O'Neill, Curbishley and Allardyce have to be the top 3.... I'd say the FA will do everything for O'Neill to come back.
    Perhaps this is the job he's willing to come back to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Best suggestion i heard was Wenger to do it part time.

Just think, if we waited 5 months more we could have nabbed him - missed our chance there lads....

....................................I'll get my coat....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

wonder how much he got out of them?

6m according to 5Live, they have Alan Mullery on going nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'll miss the ol' Eriksson scandals, they were entertaining :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Jokers, WC is months away and drama already.. The England team has more drama and b*tching than Eastenders..

This is why innngerrland will never win the WC again.. Go on Trinidad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I think he was stupid for his comments, but the only thing I am sick to my eyeballs is the English Press. The blood sucking career ending ****'s. Its a disgrace this guy was and is not a bad manager , I feel so sorry for Sven no one deserves this crap, something has to be seriously done about the press. They have single handedly tried to screw over the england manager every chance they get , which in turn screws up the English national side. They will then further whinge when he screws up at the WC, if dont win it like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Willem D wrote:
    I think he was stupid for his comments, but the only thing I am sick to my eyeballs is the English Press. The blood sucking career ending ****'s. Its a disgrace this guy was and is not a bad manager , I feel so sorry for Sven no one deserves this crap, something has to be seriously done about the press. They have single handedly tried to screw over the england manager every chance they get , which in turn screws up the English national side. They will then further whinge when he screws up at the WC, if dont win it like.

Totally agreed. I honestly have to throw my hands up and admit that I thought England had a real shot at the WC this time out... a lot of the players are hitting their peaks (both in terms of ability and age) and it just seemed to be 'time' for, if not a win, then at least some form of decent progression.

Alas, after all this, I don't hold out much hope for them - and the blame lies squarely at the door of the press and their desperate bids to sell stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The phrase about leading a horse to water comes to mind. They didnt force him to say anything.

Best suggestion i heard was Wenger to do it part time.
    lol, only if you aren't English or an Arsenal fan. Wenger would be totally unsuited to International management - Wenger's strengths are developing players and attractive attacking play. Which he wouldn't get much chance to do when he only gets the players together a couple of times a year, and can't sign anyone.

A manager who is strong tactically, a good motivator and a good organiser would make the ideal international manager. Someone like Mourinho, Benitez, Allardyce, yada, yada, yada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Stekelly wrote:
    The phrase about leading a horse to water comes to mind. They didnt force him to say anything.

Obviously not - but should they, the very papers that would be "ENGLANDS OFFICIAL PAPER" come the world cup, be attempting to undermine the England manager at this stage?

Willem D wrote:
    I think he was stupid for his comments, but the only thing I am sick to my eyeballs is the English Press. The blood sucking career ending ****'s.
    Agreed. I mean, I'm not going to jump to Sven's side because he was a fool for saying what he did, but this whole drama has come about from provocation from an English newspaper. For ****'s sake, why are they trying to stir **** so soon to the World Cup? There are some rags there that I honestly think would rather have scandals to write about than the success of their country. They always seem to put their managers up on the highest pedastool, then knock them down. Hell, even the England team had a media boycott last year. But the irony there was that it gave them more negative articles to write :rolleyes:
    I don't want to pigeon-hole every section of the English media though, I'm sure there are a lot of genuine journalists who want to see their country do well but are sick-**** of having to write about embarrassing scandals. Secretly talking to Fergy after his proposed retirement, secretly talking to Chelsea after the Abramovich take-over, the Faria Alam scandal, and now the fake sheikh affair.
    Finally, although I think most people felt that this would be Sven's last tournament, I don't see the benefit of announcing it just a couple of months before the World Cup. I think this is one of the best England team in years, but the FA-Eriksson merry-go-round has sabotaged one of their best chances to succeed in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Again they just want to sell papers, but COME ON, how gullible is he.. The papers may have set him up but he was the one that came out and said all that stuff...

Lets say he worked for Google and Yahoo invited him to a fake interview where he went in and slagged off Google, gave away inside info etc,, do you think he could walk back into Google... Not likely.

but the FA-Eriksson merry-go-round has sabotaged one of their best chances to succeed in years.
    So many are suggesting this, but could someone please explain just how it's damaging?

Sven is going to the WC with 100% determination to win it, along with the players.
    Sure, he rattled a few of them with his comments to the fake sheik, but it really wasnt anything much thats already touted in the press and public anyway.
    He's said his sorrys and now the cup is the target.... so what if he's going?
    I'd say the players, the one's who really need to perform this summer, knew anyway... like most of us.

Just another big story for the papers.... and nothing more tbh.

whiskeyman wrote:
    So many are suggesting this, but could someone please explain just how it's damaging?
    The sheer amount of scandals they've produced together. That's what I meant by merry-go-round.
    Surely the whole thing is damaging. I'm sure the players all want to win it, but how can any of them lay their faith in a manager that would come out with such crap?
    How would Rio feel playing for someone who called him lazy behind his back, but never (presumably) said it to his face?
    How would Rooney feel knowing he made inapporpriate comments about his background, and attributing it to his discipline problem?
    The biggest one for me is the Michael Owen one. I don't see how he could have one iota of respect left for Eriksson, after the comments he made about Owen only being at Newcaslte for the money.
    It was wrong of him to talk about the players in such a fashion, and surely damages morale.

And now, all the players know that he's been effectively given his marching orders, but they just don't have time to replace him so soon to the WC. I think it's pretty clear how the whole thing is damaging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Who cares? It'll all beging again when the new man comes in, allt he papers bitching and undermining. The papers will be full again of all this crap for weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Necromomicon, the players should be doing it for thier country and personal glory er fullfillment. I dont think it matters what they think of Sven at this stage.

As for who will follow him,well the reasons SGE got the job are still present, none of the English managers are either ready for the England job or are'nt good enough. I think Alan Pardew could be good and Paul Jewell but in like 10 years if all goes well.

Martin O' Neill it is then.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I don't believe Sven had any notion of staying on after the world cup any way. If England won it he would have bowed out at the top having taken them as far as he could , if they don,t win it the FA would have replaced him. This way he leaves and gets a £6 million handshake. He'll walk into on of the top european clubs if he wants to. Nice on Sven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

The Muppet wrote:
    I don't believe Sven had any notion of staying on after the world cup any way.
    Is this just a gut feeling or what?
    If England won it he would have bowed out at the top having taken them as far as he could ,
    lol, yea right.
    if they don,t win it the FA would have replaced him.
    Why? Why then? Why not sooner? I'm intrigued as to your insights muppet.
    This way he leaves and gets a £6 million handshake. He'll walk into on of the top european clubs if he wants to. Nice on Sven.
    The first part yes, second part, I have no idea what you are talking about tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

SVE is and always was a money mad f@*k, he is now a lame duck manager seeing out his notice.Its just remains to be seen how many of the England players he can alienate.I feel a little let down as I taught there would be the usual huge build up of Englands hopes right up until the finals only to be shown up for the poor tacticion(spell)he is.Now everyone knows they are screwed from the off, How cosy is the dressing room going to be when the likes of Gerrard/lampard or other (form) midfield players know they will only get a game if Becks likes them.There will be at least half the squad thinking:(well at least there will be a new manager soon maybe the clique will stop)
    If the FA had any sense they would have sacked him(the money is not a consideration as i believe he would have walked after the summer regardless with 3 million pay off) There was still plenty of time for a new manager to form a team as there is a wealth of talent in England,all it needs is a manager who wants to win for the right reasons,
    Still there will be all the bo**ox between now and then and we will still see Engerland get stuffed along the way

roll on the world cup:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Trevor Brooking for the England Job. He'd be brilliant for it!

20/1 aswell with the bookies, get yer money on him lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Trevor Brooking for the England Job. He'd be brilliant for it!

steve staunton tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

shepthedog wrote:
    Again they just want to sell papers, but COME ON, how gullible is he..

Just because he wears glasses and is bald...doesn't mean he's not a retard.

The guy is obviously totally stupid.

It's amazing how an image can fool people (not directed at shepthedog)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

el rabitos wrote:
    steve staunton tbh

Nah I think it should be Bobby Robson again with Stan as HIS special advisor. Seems only fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Alan Curbishley would be my tip to be Svens successor. The FA will be looking to replace him with an English bron manager and curbishly is one of the most likely candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I reckon Steve McClaren will get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I do hope one of these 3 actually get the job when its available, Steve McClaren, Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley. It has to be one of the hardest mangerial positions in the world, so anyone taking it on would have to think long and hard before accepting it. Should you screw up the England job the media will be baying for blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

whiskeyman wrote:
    meh... I think everyone knew this was going to happen anyway, just as well it's out in the open now.
    So, does Sven get a nice £3m handshake?

Time to get the "who'll get it next" bandwagon up and running.

O'Neill, Curbishley and Allardyce have to be the top 3.... I'd say the FA will do everything for O'Neill to come back.

I could be wrong however I doubt very much O'Neill would ever take the English job, If any job would lure him back it's the irish one. Just my opinion

McClaren or O'Neill will get the job. Most likely McClaren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

dbnavan wrote:
    I could be wrong however I doubt very much O'Neill would ever take the English job, If any job would lure him back it's the irish one. Just my opinion
    Agreed. Unless he's been offered more money than he can refuse I can't see him managing England. Unless his personal life drastically changes by the summer, he's not even an option.

• Advertisement

I'm no expert on the guy but I hear it here constantly that O'Neil was born to manage us but I have to ask where this is all coming from? Why would O'Neill want the Irish job? For one thing he's not even of this country and for another he's in that 'a-list bracket' where he can probably pick and choose what appointments he want when he wants it. The Irish job is imho not a glamourous appointment either financially or profile-wise compared to even a premiership club.

As for O'Neill getting the England job? C'mon! Not saying he couldn't do it (or wouldn't want to do it) but remember the stink a lot of the English public made when a Swede got the job? It'd probably even worse when they had some Paddy telling them how to play 'their' game.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Agreed. Unless he's been offered more money than he can refuse I can't see him managing England. Unless his personal life drastically changes by the summer, he's not even an option.
    Sven's on what? 4-4.5M sterling a year? I'm sure that could tempt O'Neill. As for his personal life, it should have changed (for better or worse) by the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Its a win-win situation for Sven now IMO. If England do bad its because of the famous 'interview' and if they win it he leaves the job smelling of roses. Can't see O'Neill taking the job but then again who coud have predicted Stan getting the Ireland job. To dust off the old saying 'its a funny old game'. As for Curbishley and McLaren if both thier teams keep up there current bad(ish) form will they still be candidates after the World Cups? I think big Sam should get a shot - he has a track record of making good players who are off form play well and that for me is much needed in the English team (even if they are playing well for their clubs)
    Hobart wrote:
    I'm sure that could tempt O'Neill. As for his personal life, it should have changed (for better or worse) by the end of the summer.

Lets hope its for better.

I'd laugh if McClaren got it, he's not nearly good enough imo.

Mclaren must be wishing it happened this time last year, when 'Boro were sitting in 5th. I don't think it would be received very well if the job went to someone who was managing a team lingering above the relegation zone.
    You have to wonder how the FA's priorities will now be split; try to forget about this whole debacle and focus all their efforts on the World Cup or start looking for Sven's successor? Surely they wouldn't want to go into the Euro qualifiers in September manager-less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think it really depends on how Englands world cup goes, if they make it to the final then I reckon McClaren will get it as it will be seeing as continuing the success from within the current managerial team, if England don't have a good world cup they may look elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

delighted he is being let go after the world cup all he cares about is money doesent care about the english team always thinking about number one well done news of the world u did your country proud proving the manager was a waster!

chiller wrote:
    delighted he is being let go after the world cup all he cares about is money doesent care about the english team always thinking about number one well done news of the world u did your country proud proving the manager was a waster!
    What the News of the World did was reprehensible and downright irresponsible, journalism at it's very worst tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gus Hiddick says maybe....(or his agent does)

from bbc
    Guus Hiddink would be interested in succeeding Sven-Goran Eriksson as England boss, his agent told BBC Sport.

The Dutchman, who is coach of PSV Eindhoven and Australia, is among the favourites for the post.

Hiddink guided Australia to the 2006 World Cup and has taken both Holland and South Korea to the semi-finals.

His agent Cees van Nieuwenhuizen told BBC Radio Five Live: "There's been no contact but he would definitely be interested in hearing from the FA."

Van Nieuwenhuizen said Hiddink would not reject any offer purely on the grounds of the potential media intrusion that Eriksson claims played a part in his decision to quit in the summer.

Van Nieuwenhuizen said: "He has been dealing with them when he was with Real Madrid and Valencia in Spain. He has been dealing with it when he was in Turkey with Fenerbahce.

"We don't live too far away from England, so we follow the media in England and we know what's going on there, but that would definitely not be a reason for him to say 'no' beforehand."

He added: "Guus is receiving offers every now and then and for him, money is definitely not the first reason to go into a job, if he was approached at all.

"The whole football environment in England, from a professional level, can be considered as the best in the world - maybe not the way they play football every now and then - but the exposure of English football all over the world is a big thing.

Cheeky sod! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well, of all the last england managers since robson:

Taylor: forced out by media (turnip) and bad results
    Venables: left due to court appearances after a successful tenure
    Hoddle: forced out by media after a relatively successful tenure
    Keegan: forced in by media, and then out when realised how bad he was
    Eriksson: forced out by media, despite best results for years

The England job will always be a problem position to fill due to the nature of the English media (sell papers at any cost).

I mean the "revelations" by the News of the World are things everybody thinks anyway, just haven't been said publicly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

astrofool wrote:
    Eriksson: forced out by media, despite best results for years

Eriksson has had the best group of players available - in a long time.. in all fairness.

Everyone keeps saying this is the best pool of players England have had since 1966 but I don't think so - Robson had better players to choose from in 1990.

Robson was a better manager than Eriksson too, so I think they'll need a fair share of luck if they're to succeed at 2006.

In fairness Paul Parker and Tony Dorigo were starters by the end of WC1990 so it was hardly a world class selection imho. They were a good side to watch tho (group matches aside)

Parker was a regular at RB but Gary Neville isn't exactly one of the all-time greats either. Just had a look at the squad stats and Dorigo played 1 game WC90.

IIRC they had players like Lineker, Smith, Platt, Beardsley, Barnes, Gascoigne, Robson, Waddle, Butcher, Adams, Hoddle, Walker, Pearce, Rocastle, Shilton and Seaman. Not all of them went to the tournament though.

whiskeyman wrote:

Seems the FA have made it clear they want O'Neill as No.1

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-2033799,00.html
    The Times wrote:
    As one of the three men deputed to draw up the shortlist of candidates, Dave Richards, the FA Premier League chairman and FA board member, has plenty of clout and he made no secret of the fact that he is strongly steering the organisation away from another foreign coach — a position that is shared by several of his senior colleagues. “Obviously I do believe it’s time for a British manager,” he said. “I think — and this is a personal opinion — that it’s time to have somebody who understands the passion and the belief and the commitment to the game.”
    That fact he said British, is a clear sign O'Neill is the wanted man, or at least high in contention.
    Still havent heard any soundbytes from him though. Has he made any comments to the media?
    The article mention O'Neill is "known to be interested" in the position.

• Advertisement
Advertisement