Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eriksson leaves .... (after the world cup)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

whiskeyman wrote:
    That fact he said British, is a clear sign O'Neill is the wanted man, or at least high in contention.
    Still havent heard any soundbytes from him though. Has he made any comments to the media?
    The article mention O'Neill is "known to be interested" in the position.

Nice logic but (unless you know something about him that I don't) Martin O'Neill is technically not British.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Pigman II wrote:
    Nice logic but (unless you know something about him that I don't) Martin O'Neill is technically not British.
    No need to get all technical Piggy.
    I know "technically" it's Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    However, Northern Ireland is still considered one of the "home nations" and Richards didn't specify say English.
    It's clear that this wording opened up the catchment and the media have bought it.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4699436.stm

If you really wish to get technical:
    [The two governments] recognise the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose, and accordingly confirm that their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland.

So, you know for sure that he doesn't hold a British passport or has said "I do not wish to be called British" publicly?
    Irrelevant tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

whiskeyman wrote:
    No need to get all technical Piggy.
    I know "technically" it's Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    However, Northern Ireland is still considered one of the "home nations" and Richards didn't specify say English.
    It's clear that this wording opened up the catchment.

If you really wish to get technical:

So, you know for sure that he doesnt hold a British passport?
    Irrelevant tbh...

he must have a british passport as he was honoured with an obe or an mbe,maybe both i am not sure.
    but lets not go down this path lads,leave it for the poitics forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Don't get me wrong. I'm not nitpicking. I'm just trying to point out that it is stretching it to draw the conclusion that because one of the 3 guys in charge of picking the next manager states a preference for a Brit that therefore O'Neill is a favourite.

Personally I think if England FA has any sense they SHOULD give him the job but then that's another issue.

Advertisement