Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

3G Phone, 2G Network - No calls?

• 23-01-2006 11:09pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've a samsung sgh-zv10 (3G handset) and am on meteor. I can send / receive texts and can receive calls. Can't make calls though. I've gone through all the settings I can find, and am stumped. Should a 2g sim work in a 3g phone?

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you may be in a 3g coverage area and the phone may be programmed to use 3g network for outdials by preference ....except Meteor won't let you do that will they :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

Ring Customer Care ; O wait you can't ! lol sorry.... Go to a Meteor store or ring one on your house phone the numbers in the manual and they should be able to sort you out. If not, move to Vodafone they are legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭half_dead

liamskater wrote:
    Go to a Meteor store or ring one on your house phone the numbers in the manual and they should be able to sort you out.

huh?!?!?!? (Rubbish, it ain't a Meteor phone...)

Go to your network settings and manually select the dual band... (800/1900 AFAIK) ...that should solve it...

Failing that get a friend that has meteor and go through both phones at the same time checking the network preferances... should solve it.

I wouldn't go to Meteor directly on this one as I've done something similar before... they couldn't help and flagged my number (sim) as being in an "non-service-provider's product" and wouldn't help me with anything from then on.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

half_dead wrote:
    they couldn't help and flagged my number (sim) as being in an "non-service-provider's product" and wouldn't help me with anything from then on.:mad:

Are you saying that meteor will BLACKLIST their own customers at the Customer Service level if the customer uses a phone not supplied by Meteor themselves or approved in some unknown way by Meteor themselves ????

When did this happen ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭half_dead

half_dead wrote:
    I've done something similar before...

Meaning, with the network I was on at the time (sorry should have worded that a bit better:rolleyes: ) I was with O2 and they flagged my number/SIM as being in a phone they were not permitted to advise settings for.

It was a Nokia 7650 by the way and the whole thing was a joke really and got waayyy out of hand...

However, I have been advised sinse that no Network are 'required' to give you any info for a phone they don't supply (Terms and Conditions people....!!!) I've had a friend get an unlocked 3G mobile last week (was on Vodafone) and try switch back to O2..... so far, no joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

If you have a 3G handset, that is not locked to any network, it should work fine on Meteor, O2, Voda or 3.

I would not advise you to use unlocked Voda 3G handsets other then the Nokia 66xx series. This is because the phones would be customised to work on Voda and the voda-only advanced features will be useless, this may stop you using MMS or WAP features as those settings are often hard-coded.

That said, if you put a 2G SIM into your 3G phone it would search for the 2G network and would connect to it just like it would in any other phone. But what you should do to be sure is change the band settings from "Dual Mode" or "Dual Band" to "GSM Only". This effectivly disables the 3G functions of the phone, you wont be able to connect to any 3G networks which will eliminate any conflicts with Meteors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's also possibly the Vodafone firmware. Even when dual band is selected some 3g phones do not work on meteor with calls outward.

Look anywhere any you will consistantly find problems with people trying to use unlocked 3g handsets with Meteor sims. Even if you change the settings from 3g to 2g only the problem does not always go away.

Ah, if only it was as simple anymore of getting something unlocked and that was it....

Advertisement