Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter diving in Canaries?

• 23-01-2006 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

First post over this way... not normally my territory :)

A mate of mine is thinking of going to the Canaries in the coming few weeks. Has anyone here any expericence of diving there, in Tenerife, Lanzarote etc, especially around this time of year? Do any of the hotels operate dive clubs or vice versa?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭smcmullan

I did quite a few dives with Manta Dive Centre in Puerto Del Carmen on Lanzarote a couple of years back. I can recommend them.

http://www.manta-diving-lanzarote.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Diving is ok (Lanzarote) if your into wrecks, not much fish life if thats your thing. We dived in semi-dry's but I still found it cold, would of liked my dry suit with me, then again we were doing deepish dives alot (40-50m range).

We dived with the one down on the beach in Puerto Del Carmen, cant remember the name but Ill find out, they were kinda dodgy with one's and two's but we had no trouble with em maybe we were such a large group they left us to our thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Having had dives in Gran C, Lanzarote, and El Hierro I can say that the diving gets better in the above order, ie El H. is by far the best, and the food great.

As to nightlife for the non-diver, the reverse is true, energy-wise. So it's Lanz. for the best of both worlds, but for diving my vote goes to the island of El H.

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

BTW that beach dive outfit on Lanzarote is called Safari Diving.
    I'd recommend the one - in Spanish it's called Club Buceo Atlantica - in the lobby of the big Hotel nearby. It doesn't charge you a "licence" to go diving, as Safari does, which you do not legally need!
    Ask them about diving a site called Los Roques.

Enjoy,

Seadeuce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I've dived Furetaventura and Lanzarote and of the two Lanzarote is defintiely better. There's a school/ shop in Puerto del Carmen and Puerto Caleta called Island watersports..

http://www.divelanzarote.com/

.. and I had a great time with them. norman, one of the owners is a gret laugh and Tonin the main instructor is just loo-la but an absolute sweetheart. Met Norman at the Outdoor adventure show last year and had booked a week in Lanzarote anyway, called him when I got there, got picked up at hotel and dropped back again, lovely facilites at the marina (showers, big changing room, freshwater dunk tank, full equipment rental), 8m (I think) rib, they went out of their way to accomodate me even though it was just me diving, and I had some lovely dives. Some lovely little caverns to explore at the Blue Hole at P del C, some big-ish groupers, seahorses, and this time of year is good to seee angel sharks- saw one just about to give birth.

El Hierro isa slo meant to be beautiful but a little more awkard to egt to. Afaik you fly to Tenerife and get a ferry. Shane Gray from Scubadive west runs a school out there and organises trips, and you can do hikes and long walks too so there's something for the non-diver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Dived with M&A diving in Peurto del Carmen last year.Excellent safe dive centre and brillant instructors.Did shore dive and got great depth (30m) and saw plenty.Water was warm enough 15 degrees.We had to snorkel a little from the shore and then it got deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Miss Polaris

Dived with M&A diving in Peurto del Carmen last year.Excellent safe dive centre and brillant instructors.Did shore dive and got great depth (30m) and saw plenty.Water was warm enough 15 degrees.We had to snorkel a little from the shore and then it got deep.

We dived with MA diving too and found them excellent, and they have a nice set up. We got some fantastic photos of one of our dives with Dennis - hes still there - worth stopping by to see his photos in the shop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

calete del fuste - fuerteventura, there is a dive centre called deep blue which is really good, nice little dive centre with its own jetty and a couple of big ribs, diving is really nice there aswell + the dive centre has beer on tap!!!!

puerto del carmen - lanzarote, i have been diving with safari diving three times and im going back there in april, really good crowd and the location of the dive centre is brilliant, its right on a little cove beach. we did our own thing all the time so there was no hassle

life in both places are quite good but i havent been there since last january

just back from hurghada in egypt :( where i did a week of some of the best diving in my life. if u can get to the red sea its out of this world.

the diving cost me 190euro for 10dives and and night dive, all day long boat diving in a place called emperor diver which i can say is the best run diving outfit ive ever dived with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

I have to agree about Safari, did 3 dives with them last November and I didn't find them the best. They do charge for the 'licence', some of their rental equipment was on the iffy side (watch out for giant uncomfortable mouthpieces) and one of the dives we did had a very strong current running which wasn't in the brief (think it took them by surprise).
    seadeuce wrote:
    BTW that beach dive outfit on Lanzarote is called Safari Diving.
    I'd recommend the one - in Spanish it's called Club Buceo Atlantica - in the lobby of the big Hotel nearby. It doesn't charge you a "licence" to go diving, as Safari does, which you do not legally need!
    Ask them about diving a site called Los Roques.

Enjoy,

Seadeuce

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hi there, going to re-use this thread for a request.
    Coming from ground zero and heading to Tenerife at the end of the month for a week and looking for any recommendations etc on a possible intro diving course and any outfits that you all have experience of.
    Am heading to Los Cristianos so would prefer somewhere that's within walking distance or that will pick me up.
    This is the best I've found after some webcrawling
    Thinking of the Scuba Diver or Open Water course.
    Thanks in advance....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

you could go with http://www.dive24-7tenerife.com/
    they seem to get good reviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

you could go with http://www.dive24-7tenerife.com/
    they seem to get good reviews
    Another vote for these guys. I've dived with them, about 2 years ago now. Very professional and personal service.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

well......back from sunny Tenerife to this artic weather and it's just not funny.

David and Nicky were sound, very friendly, said he'd pick me up at 9AM and was waiting for me when I came out at 9, you are not a number with these folks, very personal service and the time around the course was broken up with "locals" stopping for a chat which is very understandable as they are two amiable folk.
    It's a no brainer really, don't even think about anywhere else, can't imagine a better service

Advertisement