Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush

Options
  • 23-01-2006 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I see that there's a Donabate thread in here so I said feck it I might asweell post one about the near neighbour town Rush....Ive lived there all my life and its always been a fairly pleasent... if not boring place to live! But theres one or two things Ive noticed in the last couple of years The amount of boyracers in the town absolutely rocketin' down the main street is unreal. I know every town in Ireland nearly has this but surely not to the extent of Rush. A lot of Latvian/Lithuanian nationals have moved here also, they now work at the farming jobs which Irish people dont want to do anymore and fair play to them! But, there has been a rapid rise in crime since the mass influx. My dad told me that one day he saw 2 guys sprinting down the main street, one guy was chasing the other with a baseball bat screaming blue murder in either Latvian or Lithuanian. He rang the cops and they said 'Oh thats always happening' and they practically just hung up....So is there anyone here living in Rush or knows the area? If so have you noticed a distinct air of menace in the town now? Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Been a long time since i was at Russia. Seems like a nice place but to far away imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Rush has got the nickname Little Russia or Little Latvia!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Hey Rockee, I just moved in to Lambay View a couple of months ago.
    I know Rush well, as we used to have a mobile at the North beach, spent all my summers there.
    What part are you from?

Hey how are ya? I live down the other end, around Rogerstown. Have you settled in well? You've a great view where you are!

Yeah, settling in well thanks. No Broadband though:mad: line fails every time, nobody in Lambay View can get it, seems to stop at the next estate (Thorn Chase, off Palmer Road)

I have a very small view of Lambay from upstairs, can just about see the top of a hill;)

You working, studying etc?

• Advertisement

Heehee, Ive broadband down here. :D Im considering going back to university in the autumn. Any pubs in Rush you like? Noel in the drop inn is the man, drops your pint of guinness AND your change direct to the table...now thats service!:D

By the way, apparantely eircom feed a lot of people that shpeel about no broadband coverage in a certain area...if you ring and tell them that you'll enquire with any of the broadband companies sprouting up now then they'll be quick to change their story!

I've been in The Strand and The Coyote for dinner a couple of times, been a long time since I was in The Drop Inn, Walshes etc.
    Sometimes go to Nealons in Skerries, have a few friends living over there.

Think I'll ring Eircom again and see if they have any update, dial up is killing me.

God yeah, that shrill dial up noise:D The Strand is excellent at the moment. It got a 5 star review in the Sunday World a while ago. The food is excellent and the pints a dream. A friend of mine organises an open mic night every second Thursday in the back of the Strand. If you're a musician/comedian/ or just fancy watching head down next week. No cover charge and both nights have had a good crowd! I think the thing about the pubs in Rush is they only serve as a stopgap to maybe progressing to a club in Skerries or dare I say it, The Stage in Lusk!:D

:eek:

Gotta go, I'll pm you later with a long list of questions that I probably have:D
    Take care.

• Advertisement

No probs, pm away, Id'll be only too delighted to answer your questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 zinbe

Rockee / Neil Sedaka

Considering a move from Dun Laoghaire (renting) to North County Dublin (buying) with the missus. The Rush / Lusk / Skerries area appeals. I'm quite familiar with Skerries but have only passed through Rush the one time.

We're in the early stages of looking etc, but was wondering if you could pass on some info about Rush.

Quality of life, good supply of shops? restaurants? Pubs? etc. We're both in our late 20s, no kids so schools etc are not an immediate priority.

What's the crime situation? Rough estates? etc etc. I believe the trains are reliable enough. I work 12-8 most days so I presume rush hour wont be so much of a factor

Sorry for all the questions but any information would be hugely apprecaited. Like I said, not too familar with the area but will be embarking on a spying mission in the coming week or so

Thanks!

Hey there! Well the Lusk/Rush/Skerries area is growing at an enormous rate. Lusk has a lot of houses for sale(newly built estates) Skerries is a nice place, big rugby town, there's some lovely places to eat such as 'Pasta Pizza' and 'The Pier House' oh and 'Stoops' the last 2 are mainly seafood and are found at the harbour. As for Rush, its seen a bit of building but you can still walk on 2 long sandy beaches, nice 9 hole golf course,sailing club is picturesque. There is a huge eurospar in Rush, Centra also, aswell as the usual(hardware shop, travel agent etc) There is a beautiful Italian restaurant called Sopranos above the 'Michael Collins' pub. Not sure of name but a new eatirie has also opened on the main street, for a town of 7,000 people there is a LOT of pubs...I think theres 10, for your age group try Walshes or The Strand for a quiet one. The drop is a good 'aul' lads pub. The pubs are all friendly and you'll experience no hassle. As you may have noticed at the start of the thread I mentioned the influx of Eastern European nationals to the town...like the Irish theres always a few bowsies, but should be nothing for you to get worried about even though there does seem to be a strange feeling of trouble about to brew sometimes! All of the estates are safe in Rush...people used to think St.Catherines was rough but the place has changed a lot(no, I dont live there!:D ) Yeah, the trains are reliable BUT they are unbelieveably crammed in the mornings. I hope Ive helped a bit. Ask whatever questions you like!:)

That's great Rockee, thanks for that. Whats the situation with banks etc in the town, and also how far away is the train station? I hear 2 miles? Is there buses to and from Rush / although I'd probably cycle to the station. Herself has the car so I'm without the wheels!

No doubt I'll drum up a few more questions for you in the coming days. Cheers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

zinbe wrote:
    That's great Rockee, thanks for that. Whats the situation with banks etc in the town, and also how far away is the train station? I hear 2 miles? Is there buses to and from Rush / although I'd probably cycle to the station. Herself has the car so I'm without the wheels!

No doubt I'll drum up a few more questions for you in the coming days. Cheers!!

There is a severe shortage of parking at Lusk/Rush station so you would be better off cycling. Approx 1.5 - 2 miles depending on which side of Rush.
    There are buses to and from the station (ie Swords or City bound/Skerries or Balbriggan bound) but I don't know if they 'match' the trains. (I don't use train).
    There is one bank (AIB) and AFAIK it opens normal hours but it is basically a sub branch of Balbriggan.

Rockee forgot to mention St Maur's GAA club. Rush Athletic Soccer club, Rush Cricket club and the Millbank Theatre.

Pubs- Harbour Bar, The Carlyan :), The Michael Collins, Connolly's, Walsh's, The Drop Inn, The Coyote and bars in sports clubs.

No probs, ask away! Yep, theres an AIB in Rush and an AIB and Bank of Ireland in Skerries. Yeah, Rush/Lusk station is about 2 miles from the town, the bicycle is a good idea because at about 7 in the morning the carpark is full, thats in Skerries too. The 33 goes from Beresford Place to Balbriggan though some only go to Skerries, the 33 goes through Drumcondra,Santry,Swords,Lusk,Rush,Skerries and Balbriggan. The nitelink also goes through those same places at the weekends, last one is from westmoreland st at 3.30.

Sorry Litcagral...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

zinbe wrote:
    Is there buses to and from Rush / although I'd probably cycle to the station. Herself has the car so I'm without the wheels!

Extremely dangerous road from Rush to the train station, far too many people have been killed on that road over the years.

It's a tad hairy allright, don't think I'd fancy cycling it tbh, especially in the dark.

Thanks for the advice one and all, much appreciated

• Advertisement

Rockee or others....

Any info you can give me about Lusk? regarding more of less same questions I asked about Rush.......are you familiar with this 'Lusk Village' development???

Maybe Lidcagral or Neil Sedeka might have a better idea...I aint too clued in on that development. I do know that there's no facilities built to coincide with the development. Just the village stores that have always been there. You'ed have to drive to Rush, Skerries or even Swords for things like supermarkets, montesorris etc. From what I hear theres feck all atmosphere in the new estates in Lusk...just houses where people sleep after work.

Sounds like a thrilling place! Thanks though

Aint saying it because Im from Rush but I think its a nicer option than Lusk. Id prefer being where I am in Rush beside the sea.

I'd have to agree with Rockee, the only change in Lusk in the past few years has been the steady increase in new housing developments, with no new facilities to mention, bar maybe the "Lusk bypass"

It's incredible that they can get away with this sort of thing, build, build, build and where are the occupants going to shop? school their kids? entertain etc? Who cares!

Lusk wouldn't be my first choice, it's fair to say.
    Sorry for the negativity, just calling it as I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

:( im from lusk and ive just read this whole tread.. anyway as you say lusk has no real facilities but soccer/gaa clubs and pubs but thats about to change as Dr. Reilly (personal friend of family) has nearly finished building his new big fancy shopping / health centre :)

broadband is avaible in 90% of the villiage which is always a plus

the only real problem i see is that sometimes swords, rush, skerries and probably some in lusk use it as a battleground for drunken brawls.. (no disrepect intended.)

lusk is only at a growing stage at the mo unlike skerries or rush. its a quite town for the most part of it and with the development of this shoping centre it should give everone something nice to say about it.

if you have any questions about lusk please dont hessitate to pm. i be happy to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

:( but thats about to change as Dr. Reilly (personal friend of family) has nearly finished building his new big fancy shopping / health centre :)

Where does he get the time - doctoring, farming, property speculation and spokesman for the Irish Medical Organisation? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

"Where does he get the time - doctoring, farming, property speculation and spokesman for the Irish Medical Organisation?"

he's superman on drugs :)

also i might just mention that if your intersested i noramaly have a mini lan ever few weeks and the next 1 is coming up in 2 weeks. its normally only 4/5 but its a good laugh. give me a pm if your interested ppl living lusk/rush/skerries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

Good auld Rush and lusk folk. don't you just love boards.

I'm a rush head true and true. Coopersfield to be exact. Just moved into Brookford with the missus there a couple of months back. Sadly no broadband a eircom can't be arse to lay a new line for up to 8 months.
    Rush is changing all the time and I really miss the auld days of LeisureLand :D

Anywho there 2 of us from rush heavily involved in www.unreal.ie and we play lans and in Gamecon regularly.

• Advertisement

GinjaNinja wrote:
    I really miss the auld days of LeisureLand :D

Surely you mean "rats" :D:D

Advertisement