Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra special nice surprise!

Options
  • 24-01-2006 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Just wanted to let you know that Frank McGuinness, Aidan Mathews and James Ryan will be doing a reading on Wednesday night at 7.30pm in E317 (in Eng.). It's free in for anyone who's interested in coming, it's organised by the ELS (or, unofficially, me). It should be a really good evening, Frank McGuinness should be reading some of his poetry, which will be a treat in itself. Ah go on, you know you want to!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Engineering!!Thats my home!
    Maybe ill pop along, if not, ill be sitting in the laptop area in Eng so be sure to tap me on the shoulder and say 'howdie Dirk' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Will definitely try my best to make this. Frank McGuinness (or Gimli as I like to call him) is a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭moggie

Will definitely try my best to make this. Frank McGuinness (or Gimli as I like to call him) is a legend.

oh yeah
    his lectures were something fierce
    he used to lecture in maynooth
    sometimes he'd show up drunk
    sometimes he'd show up sober, fall out with the microphone, then storm off and refuse to teach ever again in aula maxima.....
    ya never knew which way frank was gonna go;)

moggie wrote:
    oh yeah
    his lectures were something fierce
    he used to lecture in maynooth
    sometimes he'd show up drunk
    sometimes he'd show up sober, fall out with the microphone, then storm off and refuse to teach ever again in aula maxima.....
    ya never knew which way frank was gonna go;)

and yes, I mean fall out

not fall over

he would have a tiff with the over head projetor every now and again too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

sounds like a character allright :)

• Advertisement

B-K-DzR wrote:
    sounds like a character allright :)

have you seen Withnail and I?

If you have: y'know the scene where they go to Monty's and Monty falls out with the cat, and then blames the cat for wrecking his humour and ruining the night....

well there are similarities....and having experienced frank's lectures and seen Withnail you kinda get this disjointed-reality feeling of having watched a movie so much that it is now invading your reality.....

only with overhead projectors......

(nevermind)

although this would have been '94/'95 and '95/96 so he may have mellowed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i had frank mcguiness in 1st year, half the time he was drunk as a brush.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Please summarise who they are in one sentence each.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Frank McGuinness is a :Reknowned Irish playwright and poet, who also lectures in UCD and is currently writer-in-residence.

Aidan Mathews is a : Former ELS auditor, Irish writer of both prose and poetry and last year's guest writer-in-residence, a complete sweetheart and a gentleman.

James Ryan is a: Ryan, first and foremost, making him great beyond question, is an Irish writer, currently UCD's guest writer-in-residence and a lovely guy.

They're long sentences, but sentences none-the-less.

Mmhm, hyphen. My favourite!

Advertisement