Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Had 3 in UK-they won't unlock for use

• 24-01-2006 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello..

I have a Nokia phone bought in the UK through 3. Had no problems with 3, except couldn't text to US. Now have moved back to Ireland and they will not unlock the phone for new SIM. When I called them here, they said if the UK gave me the code, they can give me the new SIM. UK told me to buy a new phone and they will not give me the code. Any ideas what I can do?
    Thank you.
    Mollie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Have they said why they wont unlock it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought the EU ruled phone locking to be illegal??

If that's the case, give Offcom (UK Telecoms regulator) a ring and see if they can help you....

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought the EU ruled phone locking to be illegal??

They are entitled to lock it to their network until whatever terms and conditions for unlocking are have been met.
    If that's the case, give Offcom (UK Telecoms regulator) a ring and see if they can help you....

Who won't touch you until you've exhausted the offical complaints procedure with the company involved - which by the sounds of it, the OP hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mollie006

3 said they will not unlock it - ever. I went to O2 and they said it is a shame and told me to ask around before I have to buy a new phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hoursey

mollie006 wrote:
    3 said they will not unlock it - ever. I went to O2 and they said it is a shame and told me to ask around before I have to buy a new phone.
    what phone is it, 6630/6680?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

or is it a 7600???? bought a 7600 myself and unlocked it from a forum for free. most nokias can be unlocked remotely i.e. using an unlocking code

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hoursey

wanwarlock wrote:
    or is it a 7600???? bought a 7600 myself and unlocked it from a forum for free. most nokias can be unlocked remotely i.e. using an unlocking code
    yes most but not 6630/6680 and the N series, that's why i asked.

Yes, it is the Nokia 6630. Do you think there is anyway I can get it unlocked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

unfortunately only by the operator. phone up 3 uk and see if they'll do it

Do you think there is anyway I can get it unlocked?

Phone them. If they say no, ask way. If they say no again (and don't give a valid reason) speak to a supervisor. If they still say no, make an offical written complaint (having asked the supervisor for a contact name).

• Advertisement

I will do that. After hours of research, I found that a lot of people have this same problem with the 6630. There is nothing that can be done short of knowing someone at 3G that will do it for you. None of the sites that offer unlocking can unlock the 6630. There is a possibility that 3 will being allowing them to be unlocked in February...after numerous complaints. Will watch to see if that happens and borrow a phone in the meantime.
    Thank you all for your input.
    Mollie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

If 3 UK still refuse to unlock your phone then I can only think of two options.
    The first is a possible cable solution which would require you to get an unlocker cable (you may be able to use the one that came with the phone if any) and software on your PC that can clear the lock status.

The second and easier option is to bring it to a Nokia service centre where they can completly wipe your phone erasing the locks and allowing it to work with another SIM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I think it's not that they wont unlock the phone but that they can't unlock it. This was the case with VF as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pj_samba

When Nokia started sending these phones out apparently they went out with a full network lock and could not be unlocked at all!!!

A mate of mine who had one with VF had to return the phone and get new one so he could roam in the UK from Ireland.

Mad or what?

Advertisement