Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Noob Question

Options
  • 24-01-2006 7:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

My younger son wants me to get him FFXI but I don't allow him un-supervised internet access. He is just 12 so you can probably understand that. Must the game be played on line or can it be played as a standalone PC game?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It can't be played off line but there is absolutely no point in doing so. It would probably one of the dullest experiences ever and there is no story. The game relies on interaction and cooperation with other players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that might be the answer. Now I need a Plan "B". Any suggestions for decent standalone games in a similar vein? He already has Morrowind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

At 12 years old is it such a bad thing to let him play an online game? I presume their are swear filters and the like in the game. Also I've been playing online games for about 8-10 years now and have never had any problems or came across any weird people or things I wouldnt want a 12 year old to see.

Hope you dont take this offensively just a suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Well in my time playing it I've only had one experience that I'd worry about a 12 yr old encountering, I play a female avatar and had some idiot/overzealous roleplayer trying to chat me up, promptly sorted it with the *slap* emote. ;)
    Can't say I've noticed any foul language or such, usually any announcements/tells would just be requesting help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'm not worried about the game play or anything like that. Nor am I a total prude. I'm just concerned where else on the web he might wander off too. Seemingly innocent searches can often lead to totally unsavourary sites.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the only game that i've come accross thats a bit dodgy is rose online, the language outta some of the people was terrible, maybe get a net nanny like program for him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Hagar wrote:
    I'm not worried about the game play or anything like that. Nor am I a total prude. I'm just concerned where else on the web he might wander off too. Seemingly innocent searches can often lead to totally unsavourary sites.
    Ah, I see, nothing to do with the game really, just the concern over the internet in general so? Have to say that I agree with you on how the most innocent searches still manage to bring up some rather dubious content, damned metatags! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

the only game that i've come accross thats a bit dodgy is rose online, the language outta some of the people was terrible, maybe get a net nanny like program for him

i wouldn't suggest net nanny or anything similar, if the kid has any kind of knowledge about computers, he'll have that disabled in no time. Thats what i did in my primary school when they let us on computers and it took me the guts of 3 minutes.

I'm gonna agree with Retr0gamer, FFXI is so dull it's painful to play. I've played only a few online games but in general i've found stand alone games to be more enjoyable in the long run.

p.s. the kid's 12, don't you wish we were back in days when a football would keep a boy happy for a year.

Advertisement