Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snag list guy for a new house

Options
  • 24-01-2006 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Could anyone recommend a decent guy to do snag list for a new 3 bed house in Dublin-15 area? I would appreciate if you could share your experiences with the snag list guy and how much it costs for a new 3 bed house.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Breezzzzze

Hi,

I know an engineer who does snag lists as a sideline. I haven't used him to do any snag lists for me, but I worked for an engineering consultancy where we had Rory working as resident engineer on a large housing development, and he was very good. As far as I know he still works in Dublin. You can get him at 086 8346708 (Rory O'Connor).

Brian Dolan (breezzzzze)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I could do it. PM me if you want.

Make sure the house is as close to completion as possible (water & elec can be turned on) and don't pay the balance until you are happy that the snags have been addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 nh470

Hiya

We just bought a place and we used Thorntons - chartered surveyors, actually based in D 15. Very good, very obliging (came out on a couple of days notice before Christmas) but quite expensive - €300 plus VAT for the initial snag for a 3 bed and an extra €150 plus VAT cos we got them to recheck the snag. Would advise you have a look yourself once whoever you use is satisfied - we did and found a very noisy water pump that would have driven us mad (not connected at the time of snag).

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Hi, would definitely suggest you get somebody qualified to do it. i went with them and while I did pick out lots of stuff that they did it was really when we came to the attic space that he pointed out two trusses that needed strenghtening and also the pointing in the jack walls. If this had not been done and another buyer down the road used a surveyor which is quite common they would have seen these at expense to us. it was a friend who obliged me so unfortunately dont think he does them in general one thing though be sure that when you get your building compliance cert from your builder that is dated after the snags have been done or else you will find yourslf in a situation where remidal work on snags will not be covered in the compliance cert was important for us re the roof.

Best of luck with the new house

Eddie

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Breezzzzze wrote:
    Hi,

I know an engineer who does snag lists as a sideline. I haven't used him to do any snag lists for me, but I worked for an engineering consultancy where we had Rory working as resident engineer on a large housing development, and he was very good. As far as I know he still works in Dublin. You can get him at 086 8346708 (Rory O'Connor).

Brian Dolan (breezzzzze)

We used this guy for our new place, he was good, quick and produced a good report. He knows all the shortcuts builders take. I'd have no problem recommending him either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

If you can, get someone recognised. As one of the other posters said, they got a surveyor to do theirs, i would recommend someone like this rather than say ur local handy andy, even if it is 3 times the cost! If you get a good job done, and stuff is spotted out that will cause u hassle in the long run, weather its going to be when ur selling or just when ur living there, its defo worth paying for. Look at it this way, how much did u pay for ur new house? Is an extra say €500 worth forking out? Will it really break the bank to pay this? I did mine with the person i got, he spotted things like beams in the attic placed the incorrect way and dips in the ceiling which would have caused me major hassle, i would never in a million years have spotted these kind of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

on a side note....any recommendations in Cavan area?

Advertisement