Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl Raped, 22nd Jan, Waterford City

• 24-01-2006 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

This is terrible, a girl of 14 raped over by superquinn the other night
    Link to RTÉ News

And for those who cant open the article
    Gardaí are still searching for a man who raped a 14-year-old girl in Waterford City last night.

The girl is understood to have been attacked after she got off a bus from Tramore around midnight.

She was making her way through a small pathway near John's River leading to the Cherrymount estate when the attack happened.

Gardaí believe the man may have been on the bus and followed her when she got off.

The teenager is said to be extremely traumatised and has received medical attention.

Gardaí say an attack like this in Waterford is extremely rare. They are appealing for anybody with information that could help them to contact the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111 or Waterford Garda Station at 051-874888.

Just felt it was important in case anyone had witnessed anything, theres contact numbers there/

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Although it in no way justifys the act in ANY shape, way or form!

Why is a 14 year old girl walking on her own @ 12.45am* on a Sunday night/Monday morning?

*RTE News story stated 12.45am before it was updated yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I was kinda wondering that myself alright, seems a bit unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Cabaal wrote:
    Why is a 14 year old girl walking on her own @ 12.45am* on a Sunday night/Monday morning?
    that was my second thought. What in the name of all that's holy was she doing out at that time of night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I heard the story alright but not the girls age. She has been failed by her parents. The gardai seem to reckon the attacker was on the bus fom Tramore so hopefully enough witnesses from the bus wil be able to narrow the likely cuprits down.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Thats absolutley terrible , what on earth was a 14 year old doing alone at that time of night ? Its just terrible.

I remember when my frend lived up in Cherrymount , I found that path rather dodgy even by day , wouldnt dream of going up there at night even if I had somebody with me , its so enclosed and a very dodgy place to walk at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Cabaal wrote:

spot on,
    who is responsible for her?

altho as per Cabaal it does not excuse what happened

do they not have cameras on buses nowadays?
    should be easy enough to see who got off at that stop if they have.

if not then maybe they should be on all public transport

Ditto OldYellar on that path...

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

do they not have cameras on buses nowadays?
    should be easy enough to see who got off at that stop if they have.

if not then maybe they should be on all public transport

I've been asking people in work this the past few days...nobody seems to be able to confirm it for me.

I could swear the buses down here have small CCTV cameras fitted, either that or I'm mixing them up with buses in Dublin :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'm almost sure they don't have them here and mostly in Dublin. Although saying that I haven't had to use a bus in ages here/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

That's horrible, but again, while it in no way excuses anything here, what was a 14-year old girl doing there at that time of night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

kensutz wrote:
    I'm almost sure they don't have them here and mostly in Dublin. Although saying that I haven't had to use a bus in ages here/

i am almost positive that some of the buses have a camera up front

WLR just said the Gardai want to speak to one individual who got on the bus opposite Tommy Farrels garage Tramore, they have interviewed most ppl on the bus.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭marky4

well they do have camers on the hillview bus, but i doubt it they r on, they r probably there to scare people, it was awful what happened to her, and i hope tha fella gets caught before he does it again, if he did it once, whats stoppin him doing it again,

Just read an article in the Munster about the attack, it seems before getting off a bus home at 12:45am,herself and a mate had HITCHED their way to Tramore for a PARTY earlier in the night. So I have to ask, what the hell kinds of parents does this girl have?

Who allows their 14-year old daughtewr to go to parties, let alone hitch to a party out in tramore, and the get a bus home arriving in at 12:45am? I can't ****ing believe that, why the hell weren't they picking her up??? At the very least, and this would still be god awful parenting, they should have ben meeting her off the bus.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Just read an article in the Munster about the attack, it seems before getting off a bus home at 12:45am,herself and a mate had HITCHED their way to Tramore for a PARTY earlier in the night. So I have to ask, what the hell kinds of parents does this girl have?

Who allows their 14-year old daughter to go to parties, let alone hitch to a party out in tramore, and the get a bus home arriving in at 12:45am? I can't ****ing believe that, why the hell weren't they picking her up??? At the very least, and this would still be god awful parenting, they should have been meeting her off the bus.

This is what half the town are also thinking.

The victim actually had a hell of a walk when she got off the bus. She was only talking a shortcut through cherrymount. AFAIK she was heading up towards the Kilcohan area.

I don't mean to somehow understate my revulsion, and rage at the rapist, who should be gelded then staked out in the desert over an anthill with honey smeared all over his balls, but this is so sickeningly irresponisble I can't even find the words to articulate it.

There are bad people in the world. There are messed up people in the world. Our job is to protect our children from these sickos, what kind of irresponsible offshoot would give their 14-year old child this much freedom?????

I couldnt believe it meself that a 14 year old was out alone at this time , getting a bus and not having a definite way home.

Like why the hell didnt they at least meet her at the bus!

She would of surely had school Monday , I dont wanna sound like Im blaming the whole thing on the parents , but in this day and age an the way things are gone , nobodys safe especially young girls walking alone through short cuts in the night.

Its nice to think everyone should be ok roaming around and nobody will interfere with them but thats just not the way things are and the parents really should have met her at the bus because there are some sick people out there just waiting for opportunities like the other night to strike.

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    I dont wanna sound like Im blaming the whole thing on the parents , but in this day and age an the way things are gone , nobodys safe especially young girls walking alone through short cuts in the night.

Yeah, I just can't believe how frustratingly naieve some people are about this. Presmably the whole family is traumatised, and my heart goes out to them, but at the same time, for ****'s sake??!?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Story going round is she did'nt even live in Cherrymount but was walking to St Herblaine park , dont know if its true or not but thats quite a distance from the tramore Roed

Well the only thing that can be done now is that maybe this will have arisen people `s awareness and highlight the fact that YES this does happen and it could happen to anybody and if ya are stuck with no way home try to stay in a well lit place where ya might meet into a few people , I know it could still happen there but jesus Dont walk alone down a shortcut like that one up by cherrymount.

Any word yet on them getting anybody for this?

If hes done it once , he`ll do it again .

• Advertisement

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Any word yet on them getting anybody for this?

Most recent I kow is they were doing door to door interviews in her area...can't remember where that was. Yeah, fairly dodgy, they were making the point that this is a fairly rare occurence in waterford, and this fuker is still at large.

if they're doing door to dor does that mean they think it was a local?

Could a been anyone I surpose , as a woman myself , Them saying this is a rare occurence doesnt really put me at ease.

This bastid is still roaming the streets , I dont know which is worse the thought that he followed her off the bus solely to do this and had it planned or the thought that he was just there and took the opportunity to follow her , either way its very frightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

they caught the guy, did anyone hear any reports on the radio?? apparently a special hearing in court today??

it's on the radio...they caught him...he's up for sentence this friday...turns out he was one of my mates :(:(:( :mad: shocking, i can't believe it...

Psychedelic say nothing more about this fella if you know him until this trial is done and dusted.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

mike65 wrote:
    Psychedelic say nothing more about the is fella if you know him until this trial is done and dusted.

Mike.

Good call Mike.. WLR just said theres been media restrictions put on so we've all gotta keep quiet here.

Psychedelic say nothing more about this fella if you know him until this trial is done and dusted.

Mike.

yeah no problem, i wasn't going to, they're not allowed release a name so i wouldn't say it on the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

have to wnder about the menatlity of people who do these things. Besides the rape itself , he obviously did'nt care too much about getting caught as he followed her of a bus full of people who could easily identify him, especially if they were the only ones who got off. Surely he knew he'd be caught?

Stekelly wrote:
    have to wnder about the menatlity of people who do these things. Besides the rape itself , he obviously did'nt care too much about getting caught as he followed her of a bus full of people who could easily identify him, especially if they were the only ones who got off. Surely he knew he'd be caught?

Is this post accurate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the people saying the parents are a disgrace, when at that age did all of you do everything your parents told you to do? somehow i doubt it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement