Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des Bishop: Joy in the Hood.

Options
  • 24-01-2006 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

So who watched Des Bishops Joy in the Hood from South Hill last night?
    What did ye think of the program?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ya watched it, thought it was good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

yeah it was funny got a good laugh out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I have to be honest I thought it was crap. The only funny bits were Des and maybe the bald guy. I found the rest of the people a pain in the arse, the bloke in the Brazil jersey was not funny, your man with the gayest beard ever was rubbish, I found it hard to believe he was from southill and as for your one well I am lost for words at how bad the woman was. What the hell was "I am horny about", and the actual part of her stand up was an absolute insult to herself. All in all Southill isn't particularily bad and its unfortunate the show didnt get more audtions like the bald guy cause he was proper Limerick not the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ya i didnt like the woman that much, she wasnt funny at all, but her brother Brian missed most of it 'cause he got arrested so we didnt see as much from him, but the bits they showed, he was funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

I thought it bad, I wanted to like it but it was awful, your one was terrible, I felt embarassed for her.

"I'm horny" now that was funny, but in a office cringecom way.

• Advertisement

She made a complete fool of her self.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

I didnt think any of them were funny, even des bishop was pretty crap. The program seemed amaturish as well. Wouldnt watch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

i thought it was the funniest one so far, des was funny as was the fat guy with the joke about hansel and gretel lol! and the brother and the bald guy was funny too, i admit yer one made a fool of herself.

arathorn the whole point of des bishop doing this is to get across to disadvantaged areas around the country and do some good in them which he is doing, and its a show so we can get to see this happening. yes its meant to be funny aswel which in my opinion it is, but i think your being WAY too critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

not includinding the woman i think it was the funniest group yet

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

arathorn the whole point of des bishop doing this is to get across to disadvantaged areas around the country and do some good in them which he is doing, and its a show so we can get to see this happening. yes its meant to be funny aswel which in my opinion it is, but i think your being WAY too critical.

Would he have still done it if it wasnt being filmed for tv? I doubt it. Anyway I'm all for helping out disadvantaged areas, no problem with that all i'm saying is I personally didnt find it funny at all, but hey everyone has a different sense of humour..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I thought it was the best yet!!! Absolutley brilliant!!!
    From the opening "Southhill basically is one of the roughest areas in Ireland, .. I'm glad to be here ..." haha. it only went up from there.
    I saw the gayish guy in UCH, i liked his "I'm single by choice, its my second choice, but.." :)
    Kevin 'Bull' McKeogh was great, "I was robbed in the bathroom, IT WAS THE FCUKING STAFF TOILETS, walk back into the principal, i told him what just happened, he tries to sell it back to me!!"
    HAHA
    I thought the other guy was great too. the way he said, "eh, .. i was arrested", haha, and his joke at the end was superb!! "Thanks Declan, The Galvoine, probably the only pub in Ireland were you can get beer with a note!" and then "My teacher had 4 cans ready for me, and the bartender asked why i was out from school?!?"
    Well at least the woman this week was ALOT better than the one Joy from Cork, OMG she was terrible! seeing as they choose 4 from 5 i think they got lucky with the people who applied!
    They showed alot more footage as well of the area rather then the guys, by the river was great! haha, walking into Southhill powerlifting gym "Most people are frightened to come to Southhill, I'm about to meet the biggest fcukers in Southhill!". Haha.
    Oh yeah, "Horses in Southhill are like dogs in Raheen, everyone has them! .. Do you ever see a horse chasing a postman???" :)
    Everything about this weeks was hilarious, I dunno if thats just because it was in Limerick, but I really thought it was great!!!!
    Des was right too, Limericks #1 problem is negitivity. "that wont work.." etc., its really annoying no matter what happens we arnt happy!
    They increase the bus service, now we are saying what we need is a train!! neh, and OMG... does the council even care about what people think of it?? I mean they are known around the country for being stingy .. but to mess about the guy trying to put life into the area and show the country its not that bad when you have an inside view! The only council to not have the place ready for him.. neh!

"Limericks #1 problem is negitivity"

I disagree, who says limerick is negative? how would des bishop know anyway? It's bit stereotypical really.

I have lived in Limerick all my life and have never been to Southill. After last nights ep , it looks cool think I might take an excursion there.

Willem D wrote:
    I have lived in Limerick all my life and have never been to Southill. After last nights ep , it looks cool think I might take an excursion there.

Good luck :D

I was taking the p!ss. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

The girl was trying too hard, in other words she was crap. She was cursing too much and when she was on stage she kept waving and letting out a high pitched yelp!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

I used to love des bishop, but I think his comedy is getting a bit tired. every joke is basically about being american, coming to Ireland, and not knowing what the story was.. **** you yank... etc. etc.

Kinda like Mr.Tiernan at the moment, bit stagnant.

Its true I came to this conclusion watching his live in Live in Vicar St dvd. Imho comedy in this country truly blows.

She was sh!ting herself, I felt sorry for her at the start, but jeasus!

• Advertisement

WTF was the bit about her fcuking everyone, she just degraded herself everytime she opened her mouth.

I wonder if Des and Tommy will progress any further...people are now beginning to cop that they talk about the same stuff. They'll either do better material, quit or end up like Brendan Grace, Frank Carson and those lads...just tellin the same jokes til they're dead!

Might I just say Brendan Grace does not even relate to a comedian what so ever. Tommy has apparently gone to the US to seek fame and fortune there.

Willem D wrote:
    WTF was the bit about her fcuking everyone, she just degraded herself everytime she opened her mouth.

I'm guessing low self esteem, or maybe thats just what she likes to do?

Suck balls and c0ck. Brilliant.

With those teeth! Scary!

I know what you mean Willem D, Brendan Grace was controversial back in the 70s but was still tellin the same shpeel possibly last week in a hotel somewhere, the thing with Tommy is that our generation dont get shocked anymore so if he keeps talkin about boarding school, how weird his dad is and the catholic church then we'll get quickly bored of him.

Sorry...goin off the thread subject a bit!

Oh I agree and another person who is like that as well is Pat Shortt. Point this isnt comedy , comedy is Monty Python, Eddie Murphy, Bill Bailey, Bill Hicks.

• Advertisement

Back on topic Bulls joke on the rocks was funny.

Advertisement