Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des Bishop: Joy in the Hood.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Willem D wrote:
    Back on topic Bulls joke on the rocks was funny.

And true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Most things in Limerick people are negitive about!
    Hell every bit of Joy in the Hood.. from 'the idea wont work in limerick', 'The venue wont be right', 'no-one will show up', 'people will boo for the laugh'. etc, etc
    In school, I'm on the student council and people always shoot down my ideas 'because it wont work here', even if its happening in most schools successfully!

Most things in Limerick people are negitive about!
    Hell every bit of Joy in the Hood.. from 'the idea wont work in limerick', 'The venue wont be right', 'no-one will show up', 'people will boo for the laugh'. etc, etc
    In school, I'm on the student council and people always shoot down my ideas 'because it wont work here', even if its happening in most schools successfully!

Yeah, but that might be the case anywhere not just limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

In my opinion Des Bishop Joy in the hood didnt work in limerick. Its the only one I've seen so cant comment on the rest. How is people making bad crude jokes about how rough their area is help? Does this not just compound people's opinion about a place. If des wanted to help a community he would have been better off picking up rubbish off the street, would make better T.V too!

I don't think anyone belived Des Bishop was trying to help southill, it's obviously a effort to futher his career by having a show that will get good ratings by the local people tuning in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Arathorn wrote:
    In my opinion Des Bishop Joy in the hood didnt work in limerick. Its the only one I've seen so cant comment on the rest. How is people making bad crude jokes about how rough their area is help? Does this not just compound people's opinion about a place. If des wanted to help a community he would have been better off picking up rubbish off the street, would make better T.V too!
    Well summed up , I agree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

well tbh he lived there for what was it 4 weeks? he would of been a local celbrity there, he would of been an attraction to the youth of that community, they would have something to do because des was there. and from what i saw of the documentary he was getting involved with the youth there and fair play to him for doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

main problem with all episodes is its too bloody short! Needs to be at least an hour, so we can see more then one joke from each person! also did enda's have a problem with being named in it or something,sounds like they tried to beep it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Yer one was ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

I agree it was too short, its always the same with RTE they always try to cram too much into too little time, we should have seen more of the area, more about the people in the area and more importantly more of the actual participants, all we saw was a little bit of the rehearsals and about 1 joke each from the actual live performance.

The baldy fella probably had the best material, the fella that got arrested could've had a bit of potential aswell but yer one, my god what a head wrecker, her voice just went right through me, probably 1 of the most annoying women i've ever seen!..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Willem D wrote:
    Point this isnt comedy, comedy is Monty Python, Eddie Murphy, Bill Bailey, Bill Hicks.

I don't think there is any point comparing some of the greatest comedians of the past 30 years with four people who having no experience before doing a stand-up gig after just 3 weeks practice. We wouldn't compare Carew Park FC or Hill Celtic with Chelsea or Barcelona - just because the comedians on Monday night may not have been up to the same standard as those other world-renowned comics, does not mean that what they did (stand up in front of an audience and make them laugh by offering anecdotes, opinions expressed in a funny manner) does not qualify as comedy.
    kyp_durron wrote:
    I don't think anyone belived Des Bishop was trying to help southill, it's obviously a effort to futher his career by having a show that will get good ratings by the local people tuning in.

So what if he was trying to further his career? Most people I know generally go about trying to further their careers, I see nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Dis Des Bishop ever claim to be helping South Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I wasnt comparing the people in the shows to those legends, I was comparing Des Bishop and Tommy Tiernan to those legends.

gaf1983 wrote:

So what if he was trying to further his career? Most people I know generally go about trying to further their careers, I see nothing wrong with that.

I just said what I thought his motives were, I'd didn't criticize him for it.

If I were to criticize I'd say his act is trite and hackneyed and going nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Wel i thought they were really great!
    BTW. I HATE Eddie Murphys stand up! He is a film legend though!
    Des is doing good and continues to work in the areas!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shane2005

How long was the show in the Galvone? Viewers got to see all of 3-5 minutes divided between five acts. I think some of the criticisms of some of the contestants are ridiculous as a result.
    Obviously the producers of the show are going to highlight a perceived imbalance between the participants. That contrast hammers home the message that everyone can't be a comedian:)
    Most people i spoke to would not have done it so i say give credit to those who did.
    In regards to what Bishop is doing- simple - he is putting a human face on people who are generally perceived in a negative light because of where they come from. That definitely came across on Monday night.
    Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Willem D wrote:
    Its true I came to this conclusion watching his live in Live in Vicar St dvd. Imho comedy in this country truly blows.
    if only lee evans was irish :D
    he is the king of comedy always has been always will be

shane2005 wrote:
    How long was the show in the Galvone? Viewers got to see all of 3-5 minutes divided between five acts. I think some of the criticisms of some of the contestants are ridiculous as a result.
    Obviously the producers of the show are going to highlight a perceived imbalance between the participants. That contrast hammers home the message that everyone can't be a comedian:)
    Most people i spoke to would not have done it so i say give credit to those who did.
    In regards to what Bishop is doing- simple - he is putting a human face on people who are generally perceived in a negative light because of where they come from. That definitely came across on Monday night.
    Well done

You're right about giving them credit for doing it, most people wouldn't have the balls including myself. but from a comedy standpoint I just thought it was poor, fair enough they didn't get much airtime but what we saw was the highlights, which doesn't say much for the rest of their show.

Maybe the show is a good thing, but Des is in it for the money. Not for the people.

Advertisement