Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat spraying

Options
  • 24-01-2006 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My sister has a huge problem. She has a couple of cats and one of them has been inviting the neighbours cats around to the house when she is at work. Just yesterday, it seems that one of these cats was invited in during the morning and when she locked up the house to head to work, it was also locked in. He has destroyed her house by spraying and pooping EVERYWHERE. Her entire house stinks, all the carpets, the beds, everything.

Does anybody know of the best way to eliminate the smell?? She's starting to wonder if she'll have to take up the carpets to get rid of it??

Please, please let someone out there have the solution for her and her very smelly house!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Biological washing powder will help get rid of the worst of the smell, you can also get enzyme cleaners from petshops to help with whatever's left.

And maybe a collar with bell for next doors cat so he can't sneak in again !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Dilly

That's some great advice, thanks a lot! As for the bell idea - while it's a good one, the owners don't even have a collar on him so it might not be so easy to get them to agree to a bell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is your sisters cat SPAYED??? why else would a tom enter the house if its not spayed this will happen again & again!

She has two cats, one male one female and both are neutered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Tis very unusual that a male will enter another males territory!

I would probably grab the neighbours cat & pay for him to be neutured - heck of a lot cheaper & easier than changing or cleaning carpets & furniture.

Can she have a word with the neighbours??

• Advertisement

Her male is a rescue cat and because of his experiences is by nature very meek - to the point of being bullied a lot by other cats. The neighbours are not the friendliest of people, but I suppose anything is worth trying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Where we used to live there were 5 houses in a row, all with cats. It was like having kids, i'd open the door and my own cat would barge in with several 'mates' close behind. They used to do this every day, going to whatever house had somebody at home to run around after them:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

It may be that the cats aren't being invited in, but are coming in to bully your sister's cats. It may also be that a wild cat followed her cat in, couldn't get out and panicked, hence all the spraying and pooing.

I'd suggest that the cat door be got rid of for the moment, and that the cats either be left outside to take their chances during the day or left inside with water and a litter tray during the day, and let out for a stroll in the evening (but then called in so they won't eat the birds at dawn).

Quick update - she is going to replace her standard cat flap for one of the ones that opens in reaction to a magnet in her cats' collars which might go someway to helping. In the meantime she's still scrubbing to get rid of the smell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Apparently those magnet cat doors don't work that well - a big cat can shoulder in as the other cat is going through.

I had some success with a cat door that could be set to open inwards *or* outwards *or* both *or* be shut both ways. I'd set it so my cats could get out but not back in.

But if the cats are being bullied I'd just keep them in while she's not there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement