Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I mad!!!

Options
  • 24-01-2006 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

I've just shook hands on 1997 Honda Accord 2.2 Vtech with 76K on the clock. It has full leather interior, all electrics, air con, cruise control. The interior is spotless. I had it for a test drive, and there wasn't a rattle, gears and clutch were smooth, and the whole drive was vastly superior to any newer car I've driven. Engine started first time and it doesn't make any noise that it shouldn't. All this for €2.5K. My only concern is that the service is due (oil levels have been maintained), and I'll be arranging this. My guess is that the timing belt is probably due a change also, as there was 55K on the clock when the current owner bought it and he didn't get the timing belt done since he owned it. Am I taking a huge risk, or does this seem like a good buy. Also, what sort of price does getting a timing belt replaced cost.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A good buy I'd say.

Should provide reliable and comfortable transport. 2.2 will be a bit heavier on running costs, but will be lively.

A new timing belt is like an insurance policy for the engine. Shop around for quotes a little.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Where is the car and ill buy it you dont want it. That sounds really good.

Check the NCT cert for the mileage and any service records as well.

Honda make great cars imo. I know the model you are referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Carb wrote:
    I've just shook hands on 1997 Honda Accord 2.2 Vtech with 76K on the clock. It has full leather interior, all electrics, air con, cruise control. The interior is spotless. I had it for a test drive, and there wasn't a rattle, gears and clutch were smooth, and the whole drive was vastly superior to any newer car I've driven. Engine started first time and it doesn't make any noise that it shouldn't. All this for €2.5K. My only concern is that the service is due (oil levels have been maintained), and I'll be arranging this. My guess is that the timing belt is probably due a change also, as there was 55K on the clock when the current owner bought it and he didn't get the timing belt done since he owned it. Am I taking a huge risk, or does this seem like a good buy. Also, what sort of price does getting a timing belt replaced cost.

Sounds like a good deal and you have bought alot of car for very little money.

I had an Accord like this as a company car a good couple of years ago, it was a 2.0 litre though but still had lots of power. It had covered 100k miles without one issue. Lovely comfortable car to drive, not your common rep mobile either. I was sad to see it go but the company folded so that was the end of that. Never bought another Accord as I couldn't justify running a 2.0 litre.

I cannot remember how much the servicing or the timing belt cost as it was covered under the leasing contract. I do remember a mechanic friend say that the Accord is a bit more expensive to service than your standard family car but not much.

Come to think of it maybe the 2.2 VTEC 148bhp engine uses a timing chain rather than the standard belt. Maybe someone else on here can verify this.

If it is belt driven I would factor this cost in and get the work done straight away if it hasn't been already done. A new engine or rebuild will cost you a hell of a lot more than the price of fitting a timing belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭HotRodDub

Are you mad??? no way, mad would be buying a brand new Honda for a dozen times what you are paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I picked up a 98 Accord 1.8 with 65k for €3,500 back in april. A few dings in the body work, electric aerial not retracting fully, door seals have seen better days but all in all sound. New clutch is all I've had done since.
    Vey nice to drive but even the 1.8 is heavy on juice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Canaboid wrote:
    I picked up a 98 Accord 1.8 with 65k for €3,500 back in april. A few dings in the body work, electric aerial not retracting fully, door seals have seen better days but all in all sound. New clutch is all I've had done since.
    Vey nice to drive but even the 1.8 is heavy on juice.

Yeah the electric ariel was a known problem in that Accord, if it was bent out of shape in the slightest it would not retract fully. The thing is that a Honda stealer would charge a fortune for fitting a new one where as you could pick up an after market one in a motor factors for about €30 and fit it yourself.

The 1.8 was a bit heavy on juice because it was underpowered for the car and introduced in 1996 in order to appeal to people did not want the 2.0 or 2.2. In reality the 2.0 was almost as economical but with that extra bit of get up and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Thanks guys for all the replies. Glad to see that so far the comments are mostly positive. I was sort of dreading some one coming and telling me that I'd get 10 mpg and the car will self destruct at 80k miles.

TBH, I'm not buying it for the fuel economy. I don't think anyone buying a 2.2 litre could expect great mileage, and don't even get me started on the road tax but at least I can say that the aeriel is retracting fully.

On the servicing, is this extra cost just for the Accord, or is it Honda in general. I seem to recall when I was driving a Rover a number of years ago, my mechanic said that Rovers and Hondas were the most expensive for parts, with Rover being a little more expensive.

At least I can go hand over my money now with a little more confidence. I'll post some pics at the weekend if I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

It sounds like a really good deal. The only trouble with it is the engine size I presume. The owner probably took Road TAX into account seeing it must about €600 for an engine of that size, and then again you have to think of insurance as well. I would say that there are much less high litre cars being bought these days as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Carb wrote:
    Thanks guys for all the replies. Glad to see that so far the comments are mostly positive. I was sort of dreading some one coming and telling me that I'd get 10 mpg and the car will self destruct at 80k miles.

At 80K a Honda engine isn't even run in! :) Honda have built over 15 million VTEC units since the early nineties and none have ever failed. I think you got a steal there.

It sounds like a really good deal. The only trouble with it is the engine size I presume. The owner probably took Road TAX into account seeing it must about €600 for an engine of that size, and then again you have to think of insurance as well. I would say that there are much less high litre cars being bought these days as before.

I take you point on the running costs. Motor Tax is € 722 to be exact. But I keep having to make the same point in relation to the house I'm building at the moment. Say for example, underfloor heating is coming in at 12K, people keep saying, oh my god, that's very expensive. . They seem to forget that a radiator system would probably cost 10K. So my point is with the tax, is a 2.2 engine onlys costs about 200 more than a 1.8 - 2l engine and about 300 more than a 1.6. Now I certainly don't have money to throw about, but in the age of rip off Ireland, what does € 200 get you. If I stay in one or two weekends, I've my money saved and I'm no longer driving an Opel Corsa. Insurance isn't that bad and in terms of the petrol, I only do about 10 to 12K mile per year, so things aren't as bad as they first appear. Remember too, that I'm not going to be crippled by depreciation. I had a brand new Clio once, This car is costing less than what I lost on the Clio in one year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭hardwoodhero

Go for it Honda VTEC's are masterpieces. EP Mooney will do a full service very reasonably ( € 265 for my civic). Hondas go for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

yeah,enjoy it m8,where are you going to get all that luxury for that money.

if your near dun laoghaire try J & S on york road ,thay carry a big selection of jap parts & if you know a mechanic pay him to do the timing belt(if it has one)

at the end of the day you got a great car for a great price. ENJOY!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I bought a 94 2.0 accord last may and was very happy with it. Was then looking for a car for my dad and came across a 94 Rover 620 (same car) in Sept and I took that as it has cream interior (he's a plumber) and havent had a bother with it. The Honda engines are great. Cv joints are gone in the Rover but thats life , theres 13k on it and that seems to be on only major issue (few minor niggles).

Well guys, collected the car last night and arrived into work with a smile on my face this morning. Even had my first stop at the petrol pumps. Took € 50 euro to fill it, so it'll be interesting to see how far it goes on a full tank. Have to talk to the mechanic this evening about getting the timing belt (it does have one) and a service done. Then need to look for a decent stereo. I should be sorted then.

Advertisement