Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Endorsment on License ?

Options
  • 24-01-2006 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Just a quick query folks.

My mate got in a bit of bother 4 years ago in his car - ended up with a 3 year endorsement on his first provisional license. 6 months later his license ran out so he never renewed it (due to high insurance costs).

Now he's got a new job and will need to drive, does anybody know if the endorsement over ? or will it still be there, as in you have to have an active license for 3 years in order for the endorsement to end rather than just 3 years passing by.

He's gonna have a chat with the guards in his local station this week but I said I'd ask around in case anybody else knew the story.

Thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It will carry over onto a new license afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭oldboy

I think so too, oasis.gov has feck all info on it, and I've already searched the boards and got nothing back.

If anybody else doesn't know I'll post up what the guards say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

just curious endorsement for what? how did he he get it? what does it do?

..never heard about this before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭oldboy

He bumped a car at a garage - left a small dent in the door but drove off (cost £180 to get fixed).

Driver of the other car got the CCTV tapes from the garage - guards got him on tape looking at it and driving off. Done for leaving the scene of an accident, carless driving etc, ended up with a hefty fine and a 3 year endorsement on his license which basically means a stamp is on it saying he's a bad driver and has been in trouble with the law becuase of it. It screws you with insurance etc, happened before the penalty points came in. His fault for being a muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

oldboy wrote:
    He bumped a car at a garage - left a small dent in the door but drove off (cost £180 to get fixed).

Driver of the other car got the CCTV tapes from the garage - guards got him on tape looking at it and driving off. Done for leaving the scene of an accident, carless driving etc, ended up with a hefty fine and a 3 year endorsement on his license which basically means a stamp is on it saying he's a bad driver and has been in trouble with the law becuase of it. It screws you with insurance etc, happened before the penalty points came in. His fault for being a muppet.

A friend of mine had an endorsment (different reason, but I think an endorsment is an endorsment... not certain though) and he got a 50% loading for the first year, 40% for the next and so on.. So basicly 5 years for his insurance to go back to normal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

oldboy wrote:

Hefty punishment for a minor 'tip' that wasn't on a public street! Obviously he did wrong but I have seen speeders and drink drivers get off with less. the car owner must have been able to pull strings.

I believe that the endorsement is time related and it should of expired by now. If you get banned from driving for a year it makes no difference whether you hold a licence for that year.

I would go to the Irish Statutes web site and see if you can find the actual definitions there.

Advertisement