Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voyager

Options
  • 24-01-2006 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

What did ye hate most about voyager? Paris? Neelix? The doc? The stupid story lines?

i hate the whole hologram bullsh!t running through the last few saesons. i saw an episode the last day where the doc joined a rouge bunch of holograms. he betrayed his hip and committed treason. Was he punished in any way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I hate Chakotay. Boring bastard in every way (including his background and culture).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Neelix mostly. Paris was borderline annoying. Harry Kim was dull, dull, dull. Kes wasn't great but they could have developed the character into something more interesting if they had tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I read recently that Michelle Forbes was offered a part in Voyager (as well as DS9 previously). She wouldve been miles better than Chakotay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I hated the doctor the most. Just barely more than the 'reset' episodes!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I hated the sight of Neelix.

Stupid rat-like fu*k. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

neelix followed by the captains voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

kes the rest where fine kes was like wesley crsuher or young jake sisco TOS was the only seriesn without someone annoying in it

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Voyager was just a pile of ****, well worse than enterprise imho. The worst thing about it was the final episode, wait 7 yrs to get them home and then we dont even see them go back to earth, utter crap.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

SofaKing wrote:
    I read recently that Michelle Forbes was offered a part in Voyager (as well as DS9 previously). She wouldve been miles better than Chakotay :(

I saw someone mention her in relation to 24 but didn't cop who she was.

That would've been quite ironic (sorta) if she'd have been Chakotay and Edward James Olmos (Adama, Battlestar Galactica) had taken the Janeway job.

I never really disliked Voyager though it could be annoying at times as with all things but I'd really love to see what Edward James Olmos could've done as Janeway. He's fabulous in Battlestar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Wasn't it another actress that was originally supposed to be Janeway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Geneviève Bujold, she quit on the first day or filming or something stupid like that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

halenger wrote:
    love to see what Edward James Olmos could've done as Janeway. He's fabulous in Battlestar.
    Was that ever a possibility?

I'm honestly not sure there's anything I like about Voyager. I could name characters and episodes which were more tollerable than others, but basically they're still ****e.

Most of the acting, characters and character development (if you could call it that) wouldn't have been too out of place on Fair City. The whole 'lost in space' aspect of it didn't seem to have any bearing on anything other than to make it even more dull and infuriating (7 years away from any sort of starbase and not a scrath on the ship.. never any serious fuel shortage.. nothing like that).

I always thought they could have really done something with the premis, but they failed miserably. Instead they went for a by-the-numbers next-gen clone, which turned out to be the only thing that made it even remotly watchable. Could have been so much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Wallko

What up trekky nerds???

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Wallko wrote:
    What up trekky nerds???

Word!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

they did have fuel shortage episodes like then demon planet episode

User45701 wrote:
    they did have fuel shortage episodes like then demon planet episode
    Was that the one where they all got cloned? Christ that was rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The follow up episode they did to it was brilliant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Wow, where to start...

Firstly the characters were always crap, lacking any of the interesting interactions that take place on shows like BSG, Firefly (should still be on the air!) and Lost. They were all too goody-goody, there was no darkness to their characters. And how the hell did people like Kim and Neelix rise up the ranks to command when we saw 40 yr old blokes in unitard jumpsuits still walkin around like they were fresh outta the academy. If I had to call some snot nosed punk like Neelix 'sir', i would have pulled my teeth out!

Secondly, First Contact was, in my opinion, the best trek movie, one that even a casual sci-fi or even action movie fan could enjoy. Granted it hasn't aged well (the borg 'assimilation' of the ship looks a bit weak, some moulded platic panels stuck on here and there...oh, and they changed the colour of the warp core!), but it had all the right ingredients: action, drama, characterization (cochrane, picard and borg queen). But above all, it continued the TNG image of the borg as an unstoppable (nearly) force, an apathetic enemy that did not kill with prejudice but assimilated 40 yr old ensigns into mindless drones.
    Then comes Voyager....swoosh!!!....bye bye Borg, were first gonna take out cubes like they were rice krispie squares by making up some new pulse/wave of energy/radiation/[insert fictitious babble here] then were going to destroy them from the inside with that 'unimatriz zero' crap. By the end of voyager the borg had become a disposable, enemy-of-the-week, b-grade bad guy, just there for cannon fodder. I wil concede that some of the 8472 versus borg things were ok, but they even turned 8472 into a lukewarm threat, neutralized by some more of that amazing Captain Janeway diplomacy. Thats what I liked about DS9: they came up against the dominion and tried to be 'hey were nice guys, lets all be friends' but diplomacy failed and we had a nice big war that tested each character on the show and led to some nice little stories knitted together by this galactic war that wasnt resolved in 40 mins around the Voyager conference table.

Thats about it anyway....*phew*, ive been waiting along time to get that off my chest. If there are any omissions, dont tell me! I dont want to start ranting again!

Oh, and Fox should never have cancelled Firefly, instead we should be asking for less reality TV and more quality TV

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Thats what I liked about DS9: they came up against the dominion and tried to be 'hey were nice guys, lets all be friends' but diplomacy failed and we had a nice big war that tested each character on the show

Oh the dominion war...wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Janeway has to be the most annoying thing about Voyager. "Look at me, I'm a woman, I can do things a million times better than any man!" Talk about a chip on her shoulder. It was totally reactionary and sexist and men were treated like second class citizens for the most part.

• Advertisement

how many crew died over the seasons yet it was never an issue. where did they get their photon torpedos. and most of all, why didnt the borg ever use that transwarp conduit that was just 1 light year from earth or thereabouts??

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Hi...first post in this forum, please be gentle ;-)

The worst thing about Voyager has to be Janeway's grating voice. Shudder!

Neelix is annoying but at least he's not Wesley Crusher.

Voyager as a whole is nowhere near as good as TNG or DS9 but it did have some excellent episodes. DirkVoodoo has mentioned some of these but my personal favourites are the Captain Proton episodes - especially "Bride Of Chaotica": genius!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

The way the episodes ended was another annoying thing. nine tenths of the way through the episode someone would suggest a solution (usually with an over-reliance on technology) to the problem & then suddenly there'd be a jump and the whole thing would be resolved. Painful!

the fcuking irish holodeck program! ARGH!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 binaryboy

toiletduck wrote:

oh god yes and the way the controls for the delta flyer were from captain proton!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

Janeway has to be the most annoying thing about Voyager. "Look at me, I'm a woman, I can do things a million times better than any man!" Talk about a chip on her shoulder. It was totally reactionary and sexist and men were treated like second class citizens for the most part.

I agree. Janeway was a very badly written woman with little or no character developement (as with everyone else on voyager). It was a good idea (having a woman captain, something new anyway) but badly implemented. Which is actually suprising since ds9 had some great women characters, Kira, Dax (Jadzia and even Ezri), Cassidy etc. So they were clearly capable of writing good female parts. Now that I think of it even Quarks mother had better character developement than Janeway.

mac_leinn wrote:
    I agree. Janeway was a very badly written woman with little or no character developement (as with everyone else on voyager). It was a good idea (having a woman captain, something new anyway) but badly implemented. Which is actually suprising since ds9 had some great women characters, Kira, Dax (Jadzia and even Ezri), Cassidy etc. So they were clearly capable of writing good female parts. Now that I think of it even Quarks mother had better character developement than Janeway.
    DS9 was a well writen, quality show. It really doesn't compare imho.

While I prefer The Next Generation over-all, I think - technically - DS9 was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

what was it; ten year story arc.

now thats quality at the right price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

Goodshape wrote:
    DS9 was a well writen, quality show. It really doesn't compare imho.

While I prefer The Next Generation over-all, I think - technically - DS9 was better.

Surely its possible to compare both shows. Were they both written by they same people (or mostly the same people anyway)? Honestly, Im not sure about this so correct me if Im wrong.

Anyway, if voy wasnt written by the same people they should have taken a few pointers from ds9. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

toiletduck wrote:

Jesus, that was absolutely terrible. :mad: :mad:

Advertisement