Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why stay on BT+ now? (or any advanced BB package)

• 24-01-2006 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Sparked thinking by Kleefarr's point.
    kleefarr wrote:
    Although, I am thinking that the upgrades have been better for the 1MB customers, who have doubled to 2MB and 256. I was on 2MB and have only gone up to 3MB and 384 kbps. Might just downgrade as was happy with the 2MB.:rolleyes:

Why should we pay more for only a bit of a better service? We get 50% more bandwidth (DL) while basic get 100% more!

As it stands, the now basic package is better than the original BT BB+ (256k up), so I am following Kleefarr on this one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

Linoge wrote:
    Sparked thinking by Kleefarr's point.

Why should we pay more for only a bit of a better service? We get 50% more bandwidth (DL) while basic get 100% more!

As it stands, the now basic package is better than the original BT BB+ (256k up), so I am following Kleefarr on this one.

was the original BT BB+ not 128kb up. then the upgrade would have treblled ur upload speed. most people were never worried about the download speeds they just wanted better upload speeds.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Yeah upload speeds tripled for BB+ customers. I am (well was before Eircom broke my exchange) happy with the upgrade. The greater upload has been something I've been waiting for for a long time.

If you're happy with 2048/256 then by all means downgrade and pay less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Linoge wrote:
    As it stands, the now basic package is better than the original BT BB+ (256k up).

Is the extra 128k up worth €120 extra per year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

then also there's the contention ratio.

2048/256k people are at 48:1
    3072/384k people are at 24:1

not saying it makes a difference but it can.

i'm happy paying the extra to get extra upload. it was the one thing missing from broadband in ireland and now that i got it i don't intend letting it go.

There's extra cap too.

But back to upload. The 'extra' 128? Remember that's what we've been on for well years. I wouldn't be so hasty to throw it away. You try working from home on 128 up. It was barely usable. Doubling that no doubt helped but tripling it helps moreso.

• Advertisement

halenger wrote:
    There's extra cap too.

But back to upload. The 'extra' 128? Remember that's what we've been on for well years. I wouldn't be so hasty to throw it away. You try working from home on 128 up. It was barely usable. Doubling that no doubt helped but tripling it helps moreso.
    yes, try using remote access with 128k it's a pain in the .... .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I actually found 128K up to be ok for remote access with remote desktop (though VNC was a bit of a nightmare). 256 should defo be fine for both.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the tripling of the upload has been fantastic, before all i could get was 11kb/sec upload, now I can nudge 40kb/sec.... enormous difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Khannie wrote:
    I actually found 128K up to be ok for remote access with remote desktop (though VNC was a bit of a nightmare). 256 should defo be fine for both.
    Remote Desktop with 384 up is soo much better. :)

yup it's like we were driving lada's then all of a sudden eircom gave us ferrari engines.

Lada get your to a to b (barely)
    ferrari does the same thing but quicker mmmmmph

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Its actually better to be on the plus package now than it was before the upgrade if you think about it. Why didn't we question it then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

Linoge wrote:
    Is the extra 128k up worth €120 extra per year?

i transfered from eircom this month so i'll be saving between €100-€150 a year by going to BT. the upgrade is a bonus.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Cremo wrote:
    yup it's like we were driving lada's then all of a sudden eircom gave us ferrari engines.

Lada get your to a to b (barely)
    ferrari does the same thing but quicker mmmmmph

Now you all know what it has been like on NTL BB Max (3m) for the last 12 months. I wonder what 10m will be like :D

Actually I already know, we got 10m/512k for one night and it was like a F22 Raptor at Mach 2 compared to your Ferrari. I tried to download the whole internet that night :cool:

yeh but with ntl you can only fly the f22 raptor in certain places :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

Does the increase in the cap[from 12gb to 20gb] come into immediate effect?

Unless the stats pages haven't been updated with the new cap details, no.

Next Wednesday (the 1st) probably?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

WizZard wrote:
    Remote Desktop with 384 up is soo much better. :)

Hehe. I'll bet. My company's not going to be paying for my broadband any more though....so I reckon 256 up should do for me. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

was thinking of downgrading from the + to normal bb package. me thinks 2048\256 is enough for my needs. 128 up extra and a saving of €120\year is beter that a 1mb\256 speed increase for the same current price for me.
    then again i might just wait till ntl come out with their upgrades and switch altogether!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Scruff wrote:
    was thinking of downgrading from the + to normal bb package. me thinks 2048\256 is enough for my needs. 128 up extra and a saving of €120\year is beter that a 1mb\256 speed increase for the same current price for me.
    then again i might just wait till ntl come out with their upgrades and switch altogether!
    Don't forget forget you'll be charged €20 or €30 euro to downgrade so that will eat into your year saving a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

hmmm.....wasnt aware of that. is that with BT or Eircon?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Scruff wrote:
    hmmm.....wasnt aware of that. is that with BT or Eircon?

Well Eircom wholesale chrage their bitstream customers (Eircom Retail, BT, etc.), it is then up to the bitstream providers to decide to pass on the charge or not and how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Cap, when does the cap actually increase, because on the BT download Stats page its says I am over my limit for this month even tho I am 24.9 gigs.

Advertisement