Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atheist or Agnostic

• 24-01-2006 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

I dont konw wether I am one or the other

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

well
    do you believe in nothing?
    or
    do you think that perhaps you don't know enough to be certain that there is nothing out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

you either believe there's something out there or you don't... it's not that difficult to get a handle on.

agnostic here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Ok, and.....eh, the rest of the story. Ask a question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Pretty simple really ...

Do you think there is no such thing as a god(s) - Atheist

or..

Do you think there might be one or there might not, you just don't know. - Agnostic

tman wrote:
    you either believe there's something out there or you don't... it's not that difficult to get a handle on.

Neither of those would be an agnositc, since an agnositc doesn't believe either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I believe that we dont have to believe in anything, catch my drift

I believe that we dont have to believe in anything, catch my drift

Are you open to the idea that it is quite possible that a god might exist, we just don't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

It's a simple question really, do you believe there may possibly be some sort of god or not?

rite then I do not believe in a god or gods,
    however if I was to believe/or have somje sort of religion it would have to Paganism but thats another kettle of fish.

rite then I do not believe in a god or gods

Then you are an Atheist ..

congrats, here is your certificate and €10 off voucher for Argos :D

BTW
    Paganism isn't a religion, it is a category of religions (in the same way Protestant isn't a religion), a lot of which are polytheistic, such as the ancient Roman and Greek religions.

So if you believe in polytheistic gods you aren't an atheist or an agnostic as these descriptions aren't just limited to not believing (or having doubts about) the Judo-Christian "God"

• Advertisement

i was just sayin that say irish pagans if i was around then it would much more beliveable and much more fun, more craic then going to mass every sat or sunday eh, sacrifice here and there

I believe in what I hear, what I see, what I smell, what I taste and in what I touch.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

i was just sayin that say irish pagans if i was around then it would much more beliveable and much more fun, more craic then going to mass every sat or sunday eh, sacrifice here and there
    Morning Funsterdelux.

The craic or lack of thereof that comes with a belief doesn't really have a bearing on anything.

And thinking one god sounds more believable than another doesn't make you agnostic. Thanks to the probing of the no-god fearing folk here it does sound like you are leaning toward an atheist scenario. Probably the "weaker" end of that scale though.

Of course if down the line you decide that this "belief" is too narrow and that there might well be some kinda deity out there that we don't know of, well then you might swing the agnostic way. Either way you're welcome to throw your thoughts out here.

Er ... ok ... (wicknight backs away carefully avoiding eye contact :D)

I'm just pointing out that most pagan religions, including the pre-Christian relgions in Ireland, did have gods though, so you wouldn't be an atheist or a agnostic. But that is assuming you really believed and weren't just going along for the sacrifices
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Consider it smoken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Um ... just what exactly do you think pagans believe / do?

I am an Atheist but if someone asks me "what are you" a catholic protestant etc. I will say a Human Being.

Wicknight wrote:
    Er ... ok ... (wicknight backs away carefully avoiding eye contact :D)

I'm just pointing out that most pagan religions, including the pre-Christian relgions in Ireland, did have gods though, so you wouldn't be an atheist or a agnostic. But that is assuming you really believed and weren't just going along for the sacrifices

Consider it smoken

Well I am saying I d go for the sacrifices why not. When in Rome.

Um ... just what exactly do you think pagans believe / do?

I am talking in an extremely general sense and past tense

Well I am saying I d go for the sacrifices why not. When in Rome.

So you are not really interested in the religious side of it, you just like the idea of killing something ... well ok then, when in Rome :v:

well theres notin like a good auld sacrifice to please the gods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Well this thread has moved me from the position of Atheist to Agnostic, but only because it has put doubt in my belief in Natural Selection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

Well this thread has moved me from the position of Atheist to Agnostic, but only because it has put doubt in my belief in Natural Selection.
    Strange, I can't see why having doubts about natural selection would lead to a change in belief/non-belief in a God/Gods. What are these doubts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Yossie

samb wrote:
    Strange, I can't see why having doubts about natural selection would lead to a change in belief/non-belief in a God/Gods. What are these doubts?

Sorry samb, but I think you maybe proving his point:o

My reading of it is that The Corinthian doesn't think much of this thread or posters, so-much-so, he doubts that natural selection successfully produced smarter and smarter generations after all.:rolleyes:

Although some sort of smiley face may have help avoid confusion;)

Or at least that's my take of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Yes the use of a smiley face makes it all ok.

Yes the use of a smiley face makes it all ok.

Behead Jews, Homosexuals and black people .......

:)

Yossie wrote:
    Sorry samb, but I think you maybe proving his point:o
    Q.E.D. ;)

Wicknight wrote:
    Behead Jews, Homosexuals and black people .......
    :)
    Yikes - one smiley away from a site ban... :eek:
    A little extreme as examples go, mayhaps.

Yikes - one smiley away from a site ban... :eek:
    A little extreme as examples go, mayhaps.

Possibly ....

but then I think this whole put-a-smilie-in-or-i-take-your-post-at-face-value things is a bit silly, speaking as someone who has in the past had to go into great detail to explain that my post was actually "sarcastic" in the past all because I didn't include a smilie face. If everyone on Boards attempted to view the context that a post was said, and possibly even a view previous posts by the poster, then we might avoid these missunderstandings. And solve the whole Middle East problem .. and cure AIDS ..

Ah maybe an over reaction ... after all who says the internet erodes the english language ... :)

I have a hatred of the "roll eyes to heaven" smilie.

(I can't even bring myself to include one as an example).

Afraid i'm one of those that relies heavily on simley faces, to try impart tone to my posts. I'm not the best with words, you see (was always a few years behind in reading for my age). I have to read everything a couple of times to understand it anyway fully. I'll do me best to cut down on the faces ;)

PS My first comment to samb with the ":o ", was meant to be apologetic (he's one of the good guys).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

This is going back to the original post, but what am I, technically?

I don't believe in Gods but I'm prepared to admit there might be more to the universe than mere matter.

I think however religion can have a powerful and beneficial placebo effect, so I choose to believe at some level that each tribes Gods and Goddesses exist, at least if it's only in my mind. I choose to work with a Native American/American Pagan style earth Goddess and sky God.

I take a bit of teaching from lots of belief systems- Christianity, Buddhism, Taoism

I don't believe in an afterlife but that our mind for all intents and purposes creates something approaching an eternity at the point of death, though I'm prepared to believe anything when it comes to an afterlife.

Am I an agnostic, Humanist, Pagan, or if UU is reading this would I best fit in with UnitarianUniversalism

Tanx in advance,

a very confused puppy.:D

But that 'Joke' doesn't work. The human race being less intelligent or whatever would have no bearing on natural selections validity. sorry but It doesn't work.
    Yossie, you used the most appropriate face:p
    (he's one of the good guys). So rare for people to be nice on these boards, I'm taken aback. I love you too:D

I have a hatred of the "roll eyes to heaven" smilie.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

samb wrote:
    But that 'Joke' doesn't work. The human race being less intelligent or whatever would have no bearing on natural selections validity. sorry but It doesn't work.
    Sure, just ask the Dodo.

Just because you don't understand doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

Sure, just ask the Dodo.

Just because you don't understand doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

True, please explain. The Dodo? If it is as simple as Yossie says then it doesn't work.

I don't believe in Gods but I'm prepared to admit there might be more to the universe than mere matter.
    As this point - agnostic.
    I choose to believe at some level that each tribes Gods and Goddesses exist, at least if it's only in my mind. I choose to work with a Native American/American Pagan style earth Goddess and sky God.
    Okay maybe no longer agnostic. You say you 'chosen' to believe in specific deities because you feel the placebo effect is beneficial - which is a very honest admission. And it is commonplace for the need or wish to believe to be so strong as to override an actual belief.
    Am I an agnostic, Humanist, Pagan, or if UU is reading this would I best fit in with UnitarianUniversalism
    I'd say you can be all of the above.

First and foremost you are probably agnostic, because despite your wish to follow a belief you don't actually profess to know if a god, known or otherwise is valid. Humanism does not necessarily preclude belief in a god, you would need to read up more on it to decide if you follow it's ideals. I guess you're a Pagan in the common sense of the word, in that you don't worship one of the monotheistic deities. Regarding Paganism, I would have thought that's a religion where you'd already know if you were one.

I believe Unitarian Universalism (as I've mentioned before) is for believers who don't believe. For agnostics who need a religion. It might just be your thing - each to their own.

Of course all that is just my 2 cents. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

Of course all that is just my 2 cents. :)

Thanks for the reply. It pretty much confirms what I had thought myself: agnostic/Pagan, but it's good sometimes to get confirmation from someone else. The more I find out about UU the more I like about it. I'm getting very intrigued by it altogether, I like their attitude.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Daxklynsmith

Hi PPl, new here so bear with me if I cover already trodden ground,
    I've always understood Agnosticism to be Monetheistic believers in God/J*sus etc but in a mythical sense as opposed to the literal "The Bible is History/The whole truth and nothing but the truth" stance of the early RC Church.(Early?? All Churches past and Pesent)This belief got them Branded as Heretic and persecuted out of existence
    until the Nag Hamadi Scroll finds in 1947 which gave us the Apocrypha.
    Whereas Atheism is a belief in a non-existence of any sort of Higher Power?
    Regards
    Dax

I suspect you may be confusing Gnosticism with Agnosticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Daxklynsmith

Oops, Corinthian, you're correct,that should teach me to read before I think
    If I did'nt hate smileys I would put one here
    regards
    Dax

Whereas Atheism is a belief in a non-existence of any sort of Higher Power?
    Or the non-belief in the existence of any sort of Higher Power... but let's not go down that road again!

• Advertisement

I know Im neither, Im a human Being.

I know Im neither, Im a human Being.
    We have a philosopher in our midst.

We have a philosopher in our midst.

Or maybe just a big Smiths fan? " I am human and I need to be loved; just like everybody else does!":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This thread hurts my brain :confused:

I'm agnostic, leaning towards atheism

DaveMcG wrote:

Well you get to spin the wheel for a chance to win €1,000,000 if you choose fully fledged atheists .. and a set of stake knives!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

DaveMcG wrote:

Go agnostical atheists! We shall inherit the Earth.

Advertisement