Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help for WOW

• 24-01-2006 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

I'v a Compaq Evo N1000c laptop.
    P4, 768 memory, XP SP2.
    Mobility Radeon 7500 graphics card (think thats a 32mb card?)
    WILL I BE ABLE TO PLAY WoW on this using a standard old fashioned Eircom internet connection?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You could try play it on 56k but the lag would be horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Jesper

dlofnep wrote:
    You could try play it on 56k but the lag would be horrible.
    Would it be the Graphics Card or the connection leaving me down?
    I'm looking for Broadband hard to come by in South Kilkenny.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

If you don't have broadband, I'd say forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Max I play on 56k, granted when I was levelling my first char to 60 I had broadband, but I've levelled a hunter to the high 40's and am currently levelling a palli. 56k is absolutely fine for grinding and general 5 man instance runs.

I even play quite a bit of battlegrounds and it is perfectly playable on 56k.

I connect at 42.6 and I currently ping in game 280-500 580+ when in bg.

All still playable, and just like playing on bladefist with broadband when the server was first out :D

Only time I notice a bit of lag WHATSOEVER is when I go into a main city like IF/ORG etc etc. rest of the game is fine. Granted AV bg would be unplayable as to would be mc or any high 40 man raid, but up until 60 56k is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Try http://dnet.3dgamers.com/promotions/worldofwarcraft/trial/wow_nonreg.aspx for a trial account, install and see what happens. Mind you, I guess downloading the trial without broadband could get nasty. Could use a hotspot if you have wireless or get someone to download it and burn it onto dvd or cds I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Have you considered using an ISDN line?

Eircom do a 128k ISDN line which my family have. the game works fine with that connection. 40 man raids in BWL or MC are no problem.

Only problems would be AV which gets a bit too hectic for the modem to take or if Orgrimmar gets a bit too busy which can cuase disconnections but on the whole 182k ISDN is fine

It's like 64k a channel or something right? So that's 3 calls at the same time? Could get expensive ...

no for ISDN you play a flat rate fee like Broadband for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Jesper, ignore the morons (apart from sunnz)on this thread. WoW is playable with 56k. Latency will be slightly higher and irksome if your used to broadband, but if your used toi 56k it will be fine.

No need to upgrade to bb just for the game. It wont start becoming an issue untill you spend a lot of time in big cities or going on big raids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Dustaz wrote:
    ignore the morons

Any need for that? Nope.

Dubhthamlacht, ISDN isn't flatrate "like broadband". You can pay a certain amount (with say, UTV) and get a certain amount of hours, but it's not flatrate like broadband (where you generally have no limit on the hours). Just clarifying.

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:
    Any need for that? Nope.

Dubhthamlacht, ISDN isn't flatrate "like broadband". You can pay a certain amount (with say, UTV) and get a certain amount of hours, but it's not flatrate like broadband (where you generally have no limit on the hours). Just clarifying.

my mistake. that was what I mean't to say.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

sunzz wrote:
    Max I play on 56k, granted when I was levelling my first char to 60 I had broadband, but I've levelled a hunter to the high 40's and am currently levelling a palli. 56k is absolutely fine for grinding and general 5 man instance runs.

Considering the lag I get even with broadband, I'm surprised its playable but you obviously know better, so I stand corrected.

Dustaz, there's no need to be rude - save it for CS. Of course, perhaps you were referring to the city of eastern Argentina, an industrial suburb of Buenos Aires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Dustaz, I'm awaiting a comeback....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Lee first time I think you've ever called me anything but a moron, only took 4 years :D

You probably got it right by mistake.....
    Considering the lag I get even with broadband, I'm surprised its playable but you obviously know better, so I stand corrected.
    Obviously it varies from server to server, but most of the 'lag' generated in wow seems to be database related lag, not latency. IF/Org, Looting and the really badly affected realms in that stickie on the forums (frostwhisper is the only one that comes to mind) are good examples of this. Of course a narrowband connection will only compound this.

Rest of you? Move to a city in argentina.

Nice apology.

I'm sorry that you made a silly mistake, didnt read any of the threads about the same subject previously and made a sweeping and incorrect statement.

Better?

Dustaz wrote:
    I'm sorry that you made a silly mistake, didnt read any of the threads about the same subject previously and made a sweeping and incorrect statement.

Better?

Nope, not really.

If you actually read my first post, I think it is clear I was expressing a personal opinion, rather than giving an authoritative verdict. I still think, incidently, that if I had to go back to 56k, it would be unplayable as far as I am concerned. That goes for all games, not just WOW. A matter of opinion; a concept clearly as unacceptable to you as basic manners is.

Its fine, learn2saysorry.

Max, ignore the morons on this post.
    Dustaz wrote:
    Jesper, ignore the morons (apart from sunnz)on this thread. WoW is playable with 56k. Latency will be slightly higher and irksome if your used to broadband, but if your used toi 56k it will be fine.

No need to upgrade to bb just for the game. It wont start becoming an issue untill you spend a lot of time in big cities or going on big raids.

Dustaz, you could be here since the dawn of time, it doesn't matter, there is no need to act like that. Next time it'll be a ban. Manners, young man.

• Advertisement

I'll give it a go over the weekend and leave ye know who's right and wrong so ye can carry on the little tiff.
    What "server" would suit me best?
    Will there be any issue with the graphics card?

Graphics card should work, may not be as pretty as some.

See this page

koneko wrote:
    Dustaz, you could be here since the dawn of time, it doesn't matter, there is no need to act like that. Next time it'll be a ban. Manners, young man.

I love it when you flirt with me :)

Dustaz wrote:
    I love it when you flirt with me :)

Kinkeh!

Canada only Trial Version but the Trial is closed as well.
    Any further trials would be nice thanks.
    Drakar wrote:
    Try http://dnet.3dgamers.com/promotions/worldofwarcraft/trial/wow_nonreg.aspx for a trial account, install and see what happens. Mind you, I guess downloading the trial without broadband could get nasty. Could use a hotspot if you have wireless or get someone to download it and burn it onto dvd or cds I guess.

Advertisement