Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulletproof mobile phones...

Options
  • 24-01-2006 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't find an entry on Snopes, but I'm still rather sceptical. Still, worth a grin:
    Cell Phone Stops Bullet and Saves Man's Life
    File under tabloid again. A man from Crystal River, Florida, is out of the hospital after his cell phone reportedly stopped a bullet from killing him, reports WFTV.

"Deputies said Stephens was at his winter home when someone inside the home shot at him twice. The first bullet hit Stephens' shirt pocket, where his cell phone slowed the bullet enough to keep it from killing him."

This brings to mind a a similar story which occured six months ago, whereby a Korean LG cell phone saved the life of a jeweller in Sussex who was being robbed. The phone in his pocket delfected the bullet.

True stories or the birth of a new urban legend?
    A bulletproof cell phone? LG makes the case for it
    lg_u8200_3.jpg
    A Korean-made cell phone has saved the life of a Briton, according to JoongAng Daily.

"LG Electronics Inc. relayed yesterday a story regarding a jewelry shop robbery in which a bullet fired at jeweler Darren Prior was deflected by an LG phone in his breast pocket.

Mr. Prior, 23, was chasing an armed robber who had stolen a bag full of jewelry from the store in West Sussex when the robber turned to fire two shots at him. The first one missed, but the second hit him in the chest, where, in the outside pocket of his jacket, the U8210 LG phone was located.

"I felt the impact and realized I had been shot. I opened up my jacket to check where, and I couldn't work out why there was no blood," he was quoted as saying.

Police on the scene also credited the phone's presence for helping Mr. Prior escape unscathed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DDLR

Notting is BULLET^^PROOF Even the best amour in the world is not BulletProof!

They only give you time to get away till help comes, If you hit any armour or so called BULLET PROOF mats long enough it will give in and let the bullet come and KILL you,

Thats why a lot of people are dead, They though when they bough armour they were safe in BULLET PROOF cars/vars/Body Armour as it wouldnt let any bullets in, Well they found it they hard way :) But they dont mind now thre dead,

Anyways backto topic, Even the best armour only gives you 6 - 12 seconds depending on the Round your being hit with it!

Anyways That man and his Phone what a lucky ****er!!

Was he shot with an air pistol???

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

DDLR wrote:
    Notting is BULLET^^PROOF
    Well, to be fair, the first story is about a round going through a phone but losing sufficient kinetic energy that the subsequent wound was survivable; and the second one is about a deflection, not an actual hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

yeah true.
    perhaps it was a .22lr i would think any round more powerful and the phone would not have made much difference. I would also add that who ever this happened to was very very lucky!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Wonder is this another urban myth??
    Recent history is litterd with people survived being shot and surviving due to bibles,Zippo lighters,whistles[ala Father Ted:D ] C ration cans,etc.All over the heart,in the left shirt pocket.Trouble is your heart is somwhat large and more offset to centre under the breastbone.So I cant see how really you would survive this too well with just a Zippo lighter for protection.Although a lot of old soilders do prefer to carry kit in vest type arrangements rather than belt kits to give some" frontal armour" protection.So there might be somthing to it.Must have been a real low calibre,squib load or an air pistol to be stopped by a cell phone.Really would love if these folks would post a pic of the phone to add weight to their story.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The phone story was on Crimewatch UK and mention was made of the fact that the bullet didnt penetrate the man's phone.Apparantly the bad guy was using either some sort of "home made" bullets by modifing blank cartridges and sticking a lump of lead in on top.The cops said it wouldnt have killed him if it had hit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I saw a photo of a pen that had deflected a round the pen was like a banana but the guy suffered only bruising.
    just luck and angles I guess.

yep sounds like one for the Mythbusters alright:)

Should get some bad ass Fu**er say Bin Laden when ever they manage to catch him!!:D

Then stand him @200Yds
    Then get his Nokia 3310 put in his brest pocket
    then let him have it with say .308Win Mag:D :D
    If the phone stops it then he can go free:)

TomBeckett wrote:
    yep sounds like one for the Mythbusters alright:)

Should get some bad ass Fu**er say Bin Laden when ever they manage to catch him!!:D

Then stand him @200Yds
    Then get his Nokia 3310 put in his brest pocket
    then let him have it with say .308Win Mag:D :D
    If the phone stops it then he can go free:)

Mythbusters did it already!They used a zippo,a phone and something else that i cant remember,bullet punched right through.You'd need to be wearing something like a telephone book wrapped around you to resist a round from most handguns.Having said that i am not going to volunteer to hold a copy of the golden pages over my chest while somebody empties a Ruger Blackhawk at me!

Yes it would be a bit of hope for the best alright:D

I remember one time my Dad makes Trailors and he uses 30mm plate in the floors i got a bit that was left over proped it up and fired a 220swift at it from about 150yds and it punched right trough:D :D
    I dont think i would fancy holding up my zippo at it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

30mm what sort of trailer?

40ft Truck trailors for Quarry work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

that explains it 30mm seemed massive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Although a lot of old soilders do prefer to carry kit in vest type arrangements rather than belt kits to give some" frontal armour" protection.So there might be somthing to it.
    The only thing anything vaguely like what you are talking about are what are known as plate carriers, which is a chest rig that has a special compartment for a frontal SAPI plate (which are bullet resistant, btw) or similar, and has pouches mounted to it for utility's sake. The idea that the contents of your pockets is going to stop a round is idiotic - if it's made of anything that a round wouldn't just slice through, chances are it'll just end up as a lot of little pieces of shrapnel. And the idea of using rifle magazines as body armour is even stupider - there's a chance they'll go on fire, as well as leaving you riddled with little bits of metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Barry,
    I am not talking about modern day equipment.I am talking going back to folks who fought in WW2 ,Korea,Nam.When things as body armour was a total unknown.[Well apart from Nam,but it was so heavy as to be impractical.]

Plus also the Viet cong and Selous Scouts of Rhoedisia had special mag pouch rigs made up to carry their ammo clips at chest height.Some claimed it gave them some extra protection[overconfidence]?Nor did I say that your pocket contents are going to save you.As I stated RE the phone is I belive those stories to be abit of an urban myth.But I suppose that anything that makes you feel better or safer at the start of a shoot out ,you will do no matter what has been proved or disproved.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Plus also the Viet cong and Selous Scouts of Rhoedisia had special mag pouch rigs made up to carry their ammo clips at chest height.Some claimed it gave them some extra protection[overconfidence]?
    This was tried with the Box of Truth website. Take one fully loaded AK47 magazine, shoot at it with a rifle. Rounds go right through, and the rounds in the magazine don't explode, though the cordite does burn.
    Anyways, as I said, I'm sceptical, but since the story doesn't say that the phone stopped the round, only absorbed enough energy that the resulting wound wasn't fatal, I figured it was within the bounds of possibility...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭jeffshc1

Pay phone, maybe. Cell phone I don’t think so.
    Of course I’m surprised the headline didn’t read something like...

Phone Destroyed by Deadly Firearm!

Sparks wrote:
    This was tried with the Box of Truth website. Take one fully loaded AK47 magazine, shoot at it with a rifle. Rounds go right through, and the rounds in the magazine don't explode, though the cordite does burn.
    Anyways, as I said, I'm sceptical, but since the story doesn't say that the phone stopped the round, only absorbed enough energy that the resulting wound wasn't fatal, I figured it was within the bounds of possibility...

As i've said it wasnt a properly loaded bullet,it was a crudely adapted blank cartridge,even nick ross the presenter said something along the lines of "ooh,it wasnt a very high velocity gun was it?".

Advertisement