Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which party do you support / will vote for?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

The present government have ensured the huge economic growth we currently enjoy... I would of thought that was a good thing...

Wrong, the present economic growth was set in motion by the Labour/FG Government. FF have merely been custodians of others' sensible economic policies and have proceeded to squander vast sums on poorly managed infrastructure projects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hill16

I will vote Sinn Fein even though they have given up their Republican ideals.A strong vote for Sinn Fein will really piss off the Middle Class/Sunday Indo/Donnybrook/British Lions/West Brit types,so I will giveSinn Fein my vote and all my family and friends will also.

I will vote Sinn Fein even though they have given up their Republican ideals.A strong vote for Sinn Fein will really piss off the Middle Class/Sunday Indo/Donnybrook/British Lions/West Brit types,so I will giveSinn Fein my vote and all my family and friends will also.

What would really piss them off is if you and your family and friends left the country and never returned.

magpie wrote:
    Wrong, the present economic growth was set in motion by the Labour/FG Government.

I have no big beef with FG tbh, as said above I'd probably vote for them after FF anyway - anything but what passes for left wing in Ireland.

But it strikes me that whenever anyone talks about the success of the economy, people claim it's because of something that the Fitzgerald administration did 20 years ago or perhaps because of the brief 1994-1997 Bruton period. On the other hand, whenever there is a mention of problems, at any level of society - the Church, corruption, poverty - them everyone says the opposite, that FF have almost always been in power and its their fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

magpie wrote:
    Wrong, the present economic growth was set in motion by the Labour/FG Government. FF have merely been custodians of others' sensible economic policies and have proceeded to squander vast sums on poorly managed infrastructure projects.

That coalition was in power for only 2 and a half years. To imply that the coalition is responsible for the economic growth is incorrect. The current government have been in charge for almost 9 years...i think they deserve credit. Didn't Fianna Fail slash the corporation tax to 10%?? Look what that inititative led to...Just one example btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

hill16 wrote:

So economic or social policies don't concern you when you place your vote...it's about "pissing" people off. Progressive thinking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Bizarre. Because I know plenty of qualified Solicitors walking into highly paid jobs, I mean very highly paid jobs..

from bulgaria?, cause thats where those waitress are from. prehaps im being racist, maybe their nigerian?, estonian?,congoese?. the amount of HIGHLY educated people moping up puke in this country because they cant make a living at home is unreal. and when we get the services directorate GUESS whos gonna be compeating with the currently closed shops here, working for a tenner an hour. hope your solicitor friends havent got big mortages yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Let us suppose that, tomorrow, Fianna Fáil merge with the Irish Countrywomen's Association to form Fianna Fáil Nua. Does that mean they can no longer claim de Valera? If Gerry Adams dies tomorrow and Mary-Lou takes over, and re-names the party Sibh Féin, was Gerry Adams not a major figure in the party's history.

"Original" Sinn Féin split after the treaty. One side was pro-Treaty, one side was anti-Treaty. The pro-Treaty side won the war, founded the State. This side, Cumann na nGaedheal subsumed two elements into their party and renamed themselves Fine Gael, and still hold their "progressive centre" views.

Sinn Féin man 1: The state was founded by the blood on 1916
    Sinn Féin man 2: The state was founded in 1919
    Sinn Féin man 3: There are actually several states knocking around
    Sinn Féin man 4: But we sit in the one Fine Gael founded.

The Shinners today are completely different to the Shinners of Arthur Griffith/Michael Collins/Eamonn de Valera. All of the above were moderately conservative. None were Marxists, as the party now claim to be.

If you want to attribute the successes of the EU to Fine Gael go right ahead; it's about time we got some praise for it. No major wars in the region in sixty years, compared to 50 million people dying in thirty.

Rightly so. You do. If you want me to name names, I will. If you want me to tell you stories you've never heard of I will. SF do have blood on their hands.

If the people felt so strongly they'd have voted no again. But, wait, they didn't. Democratic majority voted for the Nice Treaty.

Murder and pillage! There's libel if ever I saw it :).

Fine Gael do not support the war in Iraq.

Like supporting the war in Iraq? Where do you make this up? :).

You claimed credit for FG doing things before FG existed. Not for credit for what the forerunners of their party done. Do FG also take credit for the Blueshirts and their pro-fascist heritage? http://www.politics.ie/wiki/index.php?title=Blueshirts

So if FG comes to power they will stop this state assisting American war crimes? Or they will continue to support it? Which is it?

You're claiming the credit for Ireland's freedom while claiming the credit for handing Ireland's freedom over to Brussels. Which is it?

On the Nice Treaty. Why bother asking the public at all? What about the campaign of intimidation against the electorate to make them change their minds? Why the respect for the second vote and not the first vote? Why not a third vote seen as how the score is 1-1? :rolleyes: Democrats, my ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Zebra3 wrote:
    You claimed credit for FG doing things before FG existed. Not for credit for what the forerunners of their party done. Do FG also take credit for the Blueshirts and their pro-fascist heritage? http://www.politics.ie/wiki/index.php?title=Blueshirts

So if FG comes to power they will stop this state assisting American war crimes? Or they will continue to support it? Which is it?

You're claiming the credit for Ireland's freedom while claiming the credit for handing Ireland's freedom over to Brussels. Which is it?

On the Nice Treaty. Why bother asking the public at all? What about the campaign of intimidation against the electorate to make them change their minds? Why the respect for the second vote and not the first vote? Why not a third vote seen as how the score is 1-1? :rolleyes: Democrats, my ass.

agreed, how is it the "leader of the opposition" pretends to be worried about the rossport 5s conscerns and HIDES for two month before being SHAMED into commenting on it when he calls the cops on their wives who waited for SEVEN hours in his constituancy office. and whats his excuse, "they should have made an appointment":mad: THE BIGGEST SINGLE ISSUES IN HIS CONSTITUANCY and he want them to make an appointment:confused::confused: of cours the fact he also got his brother to vote the pipline throught the council on the sly has NOTHING to do with his stance.
    and dont get me started on the presidential election:mad: :mad: who the HELL is enda kenny to DENY me my constitutional rights. what kind of "opposition" DOESNT take every oppertunity to attack the sitting government:confused::confused:
    but no thanks to enda its 7 years to another chance of a presidential election and till then were stuck with fianna fails bitch with the same electoral mandate as sadam huisein:mad: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Zebra3 wrote:
    You claimed credit for FG doing things before FG existed. Not for credit for what the forerunners of their party done.
    Christ talk about a pedant. Is it not a greater infringment to overstate the links between FG and the Reform Movement; and to say we'll "destory Irish culture"?
    And Do FG also take credit for the Blueshirts and their pro-fascist heritage?
    (You post on PIE?) Pro-fascist is also far more misleading than being pedantic about the names of parties. The Blueshirts, although they ended up a stain on Irish history, were not pro-Fascist. They were basically followers of Pope Pius; and took up arms to prevent the spread of Communism. And they subsumed themselves into Fine Gael, which was based on the C na G model, not the National Guard model.
    Yes, FG will support war crimes.
    Well there's a dilly of a pickle. Firstly, even if we were "handing over freedom to Brussels", there's no contradiction between celebrating the removal of an oppressive crown and the continued integration into a community which has brought incredible benefits to this country. Secondly, it's not a handing over of power. We agree to further integrate to reap the rewards of that integration. Grow up.
    On the Nice Treaty. Why bother asking the public at all?
    To get permission to change the Constitution that FF wrote and (the fathers of) FG paved the way for.
    What about the campaign of intimidation against the electorate to make them change their minds?
    Yeah, those hammers Brian Cowan carried round were scary. Please. They placed moral pressure on the people - rightly so. We should have opened up the borders. It will bring massive economic benefits to our neighbours who suffered so much deprivation post-WWII. And it's in our interest in the long-term too. What's wrong with that?
    Why the respect for the second vote and not the first vote?
    Because the first vote was a protest vote that the govt deserved. The second vote passed on merit.
    Why not a third vote seen as how the score is 1-1? :rolleyes: Democrats, my ass.
    Read above. That's all well in good in theory but what about in practice? The first vote failed for internal political reasons, as well as a low turnout. The second vote received far more debate in the public sphere.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Zebra3 wrote:
    Whoah. When did we stop being a free country? I don't remember the thought police knocking on my door recently.
    Zebra3 wrote:
    What about the campaign of intimidation against the electorate to make them change their minds?
    Unless there were "yes" campaigners on your doorstep with baseball bats[1], you've a strange concept of intimidation.

[1] No, of course that wasn't a veiled reference to any particular party's election workers. Perish the thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Christ talk about a pedant. Is it not a greater infringment to overstate the links between FG and the Reform Movement; and to say we'll "destory Irish culture"?

(You post on PIE?) Pro-fascist is also far more misleading than being pedantic about the names of parties. The Blueshirts, although they ended up a stain on Irish history, were not pro-Fascist. They were basically followers of Pope Pius; and took up arms to prevent the spread of Communism. And they subsumed themselves into Fine Gael, which was based on the C na G model, not the National Guard model.

You go on about FG being derived from those who won 5/6 of our country freedom, why not say they are derived from the original SF party that was so pro-monarchist? :rolleyes: Or is that unlikely to be a vote winner? Not as 'cool' as saying your forefather was Michael Collins?

Blueshirts not pro-fascist but happy enough to go along and fight alongside the Nazis for Franco? :rolleyes:

No idea what PIE is.

Yes, FG will support war crimes.

Will FG put that sort on their electoral literature? Would be nice to read some honesty. :)
    Well there's a dilly of a pickle. Firstly, even if we were "handing over freedom to Brussels", there's no contradiction between celebrating the removal of an oppressive crown and the continued integration into a community which has brought incredible benefits to this country. Secondly, it's not a handing over of power. We agree to further integrate to reap the rewards of that integration. Grow up.

To get permission to change the Constitution that FF wrote and (the fathers of) FG paved the way for.

The fact is you are claiming credit for independence, yet proud to make DE a regional parliament within a European superstate. The Irish people turned down further integration which was ignored by Ireland's mainstream parties (inc FG) and the EU. Imo that's the start of oppression.
    Yeah, those hammers Brian Cowan carried round were scary. Please. They placed moral pressure on the people - rightly so. We should have opened up the borders. It will bring massive economic benefits to our neighbours who suffered so much deprivation post-WWII. And it's in our interest in the long-term too. What's wrong with that?

Because the first vote was a protest vote that the govt deserved. The second vote passed on merit.

Read above. That's all well in good in theory but what about in practice? The first vote failed for internal political reasons, as well as a low turnout. The second vote received far more debate in the public sphere.

You don't need hammers to intimidate people. Scare-mongering people with huge mortgages with stories of how the economy will collapse unless they vote 'correctly' is a form of intimidation. The people rejected the Nice treaty which meant it could not proceed. Ireland would not have been 'left out', but this is one of the lies fed to the people by mainstream parties (inc FG).

The people of Ireland rejected the Nice treaty and NOBODY has the right to interpret it as a protest vote against the government. Who the hell do FG (and the other parties) think they are interpreting votes aginst the Nice Treaty as being an anti-government protest????????? :mad: :mad: :mad: If FG get into power after the next election will Enda Kenny ignore the results and call another election saying the last one was just an anti-government protest vote? :eek: Will he fck!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

oscarBravo wrote:

[1] No, of course that wasn't a veiled reference to any particular party's election workers. Perish the thought.

So predicable

Poor old Magpie has his knickers in a twist,people like him think Sinn Fein voters are second class citizens.As I said earlier I think Sinn Fein have given up their Republican ideals which makes me think twice about voting for them.But when I hear the likes of Enda Kenny say his party are the party most like Sinn Fein in the early days,and at the same time trying to stop elected reps from the six counties sit in the Dail (the Dail was formed in 1918 as a 32 county Goverment),it makes me want to vote Sinn Fein.Fine Gael in 1976 banned a 1916 parade in Dublin and had family members of the 1916 leaders arrested at the march.Fine Gael are true Republicans,yeah right.Do the likes of Enda Kenny and Michael McDowell not realise that they are the best vote pullers for Sinn Fein just like Ian Paisley was in the Six Counties.:D

from bulgaria?

Ah. Was taking you up as meaning Solicitors qualified here.

Don't think the Solicitors will be too worried yet. It's the engineers, doctors, dentists etc. who have pretty much a 'universal' profession and work practices that may be more worried. As long as Ireland has the same legal code as Britain, the US/Canada and Australia, don't think the Bulgarian qualifications will rock the profession.

Zebra3 wrote:
    You go on about FG being derived from those who won 5/6 of our country freedom, why not say they are derived from the original SF party that was so pro-monarchist? :rolleyes: Or is that unlikely to be a vote winner? Not as 'cool' as saying your forefather was Michael Collins?
    Two reasons: the former is more specific to Fine Gael while the original Sinn Féin can genuinely be traced back to pretty much all parties in Ireland. Secondly, the original Sinn Féin were not pro-monarchist. They wanted a dual-monarchy; as was the case prior to the Act of Union.
    Blueshirts not pro-fascist but happy enough to go along and fight alongside the Nazis for Franco?
    There's no contradiction there. They, and the men in cloth, saw Communism as the greater threat. They predicted the horrors that communism brought; but not those that fascism brought. In fairness, by the time the horrors of the Nazis and the Blackshirts came out they had put their hands down fairly lively, and joined C na G/FG.
    No idea what PIE is.
    You referenced politics.ie. PIE is what all the cool kids call it to avoid saying the words "politics dot i-e" in public.

Will FG put that sort on their electoral literature? Would be nice to read some honesty. :)
    Strange how your sarcasm is working well enough, but not detecting mine.

The fact is you are claiming credit for independence, yet proud to make DE a regional parliament within a European superstate.
    Frist of all I love how people use the word "superstate" and try to imply negative connotations. I think it'd be super :).

But back to the orginal point, there's no contradiction here. We're not under an oppressive power. We are in an economic and social union that has reaped enourmous benefit to this country and helped keep the peace for the last fifty years (well, relative to the the fifty years prior to its foundation). The EU is a good thing for God's sake. I don't understand why people are so annoyed at losing our independence to make regulations over what height sockets have to be from the ground. Yes, there is a threat that, for example, the ECtHR will supersede our abortion laws (and for the record, I'm vehemently pro-Life); but I accept that the opportunity cost of that is all that we've gained for the European community. And it's a pretty clear equation.
    The Irish people turned down further integration which was ignored by Ireland's mainstream parties (inc FG) and the EU.
    And then, when "insulted" at the "intimidating" campaign they went and supported it. Referenda about further European integration and enlargement might serve as a warning call for the government, but that's not their long-term function. And in my opinion that's obviously what happened. Can you offer an alternative, realistic hypothesis?
    Imo that's the start of oppression.
    Oh come off it. The people had the free and fair opportunity to tell them to f*ck off a second time. "Here's a gun, shoot me if you want while I offer this to you" is not f*cking oppression. If you're so pedantic about the origins of FG I think you should also apply the same standards to the use of vocabulary.
    You don't need hammers to intimidate people. Scare-mongering people with huge mortgages with stories of how the economy will collapse unless they vote 'correctly' is a form of intimidation.
    And oppression, apparently.No it's not. It is not intimidation. It is persuasion. And God forbid the government trying to persuade the people to their side of the story. Intimidation requires some form of threat. I have more faith in the population than to believe whatever comes out of Bertie's mouth. If it entirely unreasonable to assume that "stories of how the econmoy will collapse" intimidated people into voting yes to Nice.
    The people rejected the Nice treaty which meant it could not proceed. Ireland would not have been 'left out', but this is one of the lies fed to the people by mainstream parties (inc FG).
    Ireland would be left out in the cold by the European community for not passing the vital piece of European history. As a direct result of the second vote, millions of people are now in the EU and their economies will boom, just like ours. It would have been exceptionally greedy, hypocritical and ignorant of Ireland to not pass it. And we would have gotten the cold shoulder when it comes to negotiations. That's accepted by anyone with half a brain of the process of negotiations.
    The people of Ireland rejected the Nice treaty and NOBODY has the right to interpret it as a protest vote against the government.
    Except the people themselves. I can't remember the figures, but a massive figure said they did not vote yes because they didn't know what the Treaty was about, and as many again said they were voting for no to let the government know they were not happy that they weren't informed. Polls overwhelmingly found this, and statistical analysis confirmed it within any reasonable doubt. The first vote against the Nice Treaty was not, as such, a vote against the Nice Treaty. Thus it passed the second time round.
    Who the hell do FG (and the other parties) think they are interpreting votes aginst the Nice Treaty as being an anti-government protest?????????
    Readers of statistical analysis. I've read political science journal articles on this, and I'm sure Inda Kinny did too.
    If FG get into power after the next election will Enda Kenny ignore the results and call another election saying the last one was just an anti-government protest vote?
    Oh come off it. There was overwhelming evidence supporting the former. Referenda are not elections to government. You simply cannot compare those two. And if you dp, you're just not worth the time debating with to be honest.

And we're veering off-topic.

hill16 wrote:
    when I hear the likes of Enda Kenny say his party are the party most like Sinn Fein in the early days
    Well post-Treaty, the majority of Sinn Féin TD's joined Cumann na nGaedheal.
    and at the same time trying to stop elected reps from the six counties sit in the Dail (the Dail was formed in 1918 as a 32 county Goverment),it makes me want to vote Sinn Fein.
    A Dáil was formed in 1919. This was superseded by the doubly-democratically supported Dáíl that we have now, and thus ended the 1919 Dáil. This applies to the 26 counties, pending the re-integration of the six. I do not want representatives from the North in the Dáil on theoretical grounds because the State has not been re-integrated yet; and I do not want Ian Paisley in Dublin. On realistic grounds, that was a blatant political move by FF to regain its republican mantra - and you don't f*ck with the Constitution for political mantras.
    Fine Gael in 1976 banned a 1916 parade in Dublin and had family members of the 1916 leaders arrested at the march.
    If a march is banned by the State, and the march still goes ahead that's breaking the law. I support, within certain limits etc., the military parade. But 1976 was a dodgy time to try polarize ourselves from the Nordies. It was just; and even if you don't accept that, it was legal.
    Fine Gael are true Republicans,yeah right.
    Well we support the Republic ;). We're nationalists. Only by democratic means. My grandfather fought in the War and his IRA medals are kept safe and proud in the house. But the time for War ended pretty much around December 6th, 1921. In my opinion there were certain exceptions where force was needed since, but all the greatest steps to re-integration have been diplomatic. Look at the 15 years since 1922 - we went from an oath-alleging colony with military ports and taxes to an (effective) republic with our own constitution. Soon thereafter the Republic was officially announced. However the progress stopped after that for fifty years - and co-incided with the rise of the IRA. There's no coincidence here. The British hate the IRA, and they always have. And they've only faltered once. Every other time they kept their ground and stood firm. With the exception of the successful war, diplomacy and manners go further with them than violence. The resurgance of the '50s was no exception to this. In the wake of times when they actually apologise for the atrocities and release innocent men, it's clear that the best way to re-integrate the regions is through building up strong economic links and making the Unionists realise they won't be murdered under Irish rule.

Then, and only then, will the British forces leave "their people" to us.
    Do the likes of Enda Kenny and Michael McDowell not realise that they are the best vote pullers for Sinn Fein just like Ian Paisley was in the Six Counties.:D
    Yes they do, but equally they're vote-pullers for FG and the PD's.

The men and women who fought in 1916 were fighting for a 32 county Republic.Fine Gael and others go on about how Irish Republicans back then were right to take up arms against British Rule and are heroes for it,but at the same time they forget what they were fighting for a 32 County Republic which they have done all in their power to stop since 1921.Michael McDowell said Bobby Sands was a criminal for resisting British Rule in Ireland yet his relatives in 1916 were heroes for fighting against the British.

hill16 wrote:
    Michael McDowell said Bobby Sands was a criminal for resisting British Rule in Ireland yet his relatives in 1916 were heroes for fighting against the British.
    Do you think there would be support for a hungerstrike today if say the omagh bombers were caught and wanted political status?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Kilsally

I am still waiting to hear all these Sinn Fein supporters state if they are communists or not.

• Advertisement

As far as I know there is still political status so there would be no need for a hunger strike.

That doesnt answer my question

yes or no in your opinion

Im not been smart here earthman but I cant see into the future so I dont know.

Poor old Magpie has his knickers in a twist,people like him think Sinn Fein voters are second class citizens

Unfortunately we don't have a tiered system of citizenship that we could apply to Sinn Fein voters. Yet. My main experience of them, based on the RDS at the last general election, is that they smell of stale alcohol and cigarettes and probably aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.

magpie wrote:
    Unfortunately we don't have a tiered system of citizenship that we could apply to Sinn Fein voters. Yet. My main experience of them, based on the RDS at the last general election, is that they smell of stale alcohol and cigarettes and probably aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.

:D:D

Ouch. You just left out the reference to facial hair - though Mary Lou has improved in that regard...:eek:

hill16 wrote:
    Im not been smart here earthman but I cant see into the future so I dont know.
    Awkward question isnt it?

Its a simple fact of life though, you dont like SF because they've abandoned the war in favour of a peacefull transition.
    My point was to illustrate to you that that attitude is as popular as the Omagh bombers position.
    Ie a tiny minority view ergo dont expect it to be listened to much in a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

If Sinn Fein ever get into Government, I'm leaving the country.

I'm serious.

I don't want to be part of any nation that could be crazy enough to give that bunch of liars and murderers any kind of political mandate. I mean, politicians are bad in general...but, Jesus. The idea of Sinn Fein in power actually scares me.

I'm not affiliated to any party and I'm not usually so vocal about things like this. I just really, really, really dislike Sinn Fein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

shroomfox wrote:
    If Sinn Fein ever get into Government, I'm leaving the country.

I'm serious.

I don't want to be part of any nation that could be crazy enough to give that bunch of liars and murderers any kind of political mandate. I mean, politicians are bad in general...but, Jesus. The idea of Sinn Fein in power actually scares me.

I'm not affiliated to any party and I'm not usually so vocal about things like this. I just really, really, really dislike Sinn Fein.

Sinn Fein would be great in Government, They have plans to raise corporation tax and that would be no harm instead of us taxpayers subsidising mega multinational corporations. Bring on Sinn Fein it would be interesting to see what they'd do with the defense forces too. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

netwhizkid wrote:
    Sinn Fein would be great in Government, They have plans to raise corporation tax and that would be no harm instead of us taxpayers subsidising mega multinational corporations.

except that the biggest benefits have been seen in small companies, Irelands economy has is primarily based on SME's which would be destroyed by SF's suicienomics
    netwhizkid wrote:
    Bring on Sinn Fein it would be interesting to see what they'd do with the defense forces too. :p

I somehow doubt that the 12,000 fine men and women of the Irish Army would accept some provo scum as their masters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

Sinn Fein would be great in Government, They have plans to raise corporation tax and that would be no harm instead of us taxpayers subsidising mega multinational corporations.

Raising corporation tax would be probably the daftest thing you could do in Ireland. I'm no righty, but Ireland is one of the most globalised and open economies in the world. Thousands upon thousands of Irish jobs depend upon multinationals operating in this country. They're not here because of our fricking infrastructure or our bilingual prowess, that's for sure. Who's subsidising who?
    Bring on Sinn Fein it would be interesting to see what they'd do with the defense forces too.

I can't even fathom what kind of mindset would want to see a build-up of our army. What use would it be? Ireland's best (and only) capacity as an armed force is in peacekeeping missions and we couldn't build our army significantly to do anything more than that. And even if we could, why would we?

Advertisement